Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Tires Ordered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I'll have a set of 205/50/15 Yokohama A032R soft compound competition tires by next thursday. mueba.gif

These are wear rated at 60 and should give me a little extra bite! chowtime.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
How much ?

Just wondering how they compare price wise to the Kuhmo's.

B
Trekkor
$830 installed wacko.gif

linky do

KT
nebreitling
damn, you could just about get some real racing slicks for $830...

they look good trekkor. don't dolly your car with these mounted. get every bit you can out of them... are you having them heat cycled?
ChrisReale
Why did you choose these?
Britain Smith
Just FYI, those are the same tires that I had on my car through the beginning of the season. I couldn't tell that much of an improvement over the Falkin's for the price. It will also bump you to Bp. Let me know what you think of them...would be interesting to get a second data point.

-Britain
brant
I've ran these in the past...
they like to get real hot (almost worked better on a 944T than on a light weight car)...

those falkens must be good stuff
I'm sure you will like them too
(get them hot thou)

brant
Trekkor
Nathan, no heat cycle or shave. Hoosier slicks are about the same price, true. But, they are only good for about 60 minutes according to Randal. Not for track.

Chris, I chose these tires as they are dual purpose a/x and track. the soft compound should be perfect for my car ( low HP ). Fast heat up, too.

Britain, I've been in BP for quite some time. cool_shades.gif

I will openly share all data here...in this forum. wink.gif
Yokohama's trackside help line says start at 35 PSI.

I also love the fact that they are street legal and boast excellant wet weather traction.

Good for 6-8k mile as well. That is years for me at 200 road miles a month.
10+ a/x a season and track time may play a factor confused24.gif

KT
nebreitling
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 20 2004, 03:31 PM)
Good for 6-8k mile as well.

we'll see... i can't imagine you'd get 6-8k out of falkens, and if these are softer...

you may get a little more longenvity if you heat cycle them (even if that just means a nice, long hard drive around the block and then let them sit for 1-2 days)...

i'm interested to see how they play out...
Randal
Why did you choose these?

If you want the best then Hoosier autox tires are it. They only last 60 minutes, but during those 60 minutes you'll have the best opportunity to do your best.

And if your going to be running track as well, then I wouldn't be out there without the best, just from the viewpoint of safety.

Get two sets Mr. T. Help get this economy moving....

Oh, I forgot Mr. T, I have a set of Hoosier track tires in my garage.
Brad Roberts
I would have bought a header for my car and free'd up some HP.

B
brant
Trekkor,

even though the treadwear is rated at 60, they don't seem to be as soft as some of the other tires out there with higher tread ratings... (ie: victoracer is around 100 I think, yet softer)

I don't think you can judge the full make up and compound just from the treadwear rating on the tireside....

Maybe mine were cycled too many times... but I noticed that when I went to the locked rear diff, that I was adding a ton more heat to my A032R's and they started working better with this extra heat....

on the other hand I helped build up a 944T/S that was a pig. But that car loved the Yoko's....

but seriously I'm only talking about pebbles, not boulders here... you'll like them... and they will last very well.

brant
Trekkor
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 20 2004, 07:19 PM)
I would have bought a header for my car and free'd up some HP.

B

I would have, too. Except...
Only two more events for me before the SIX. Weather permitting.

A header for 20 minutes? I don't have that much money. wink.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
What are you doing with the 2.0 out of the car ? I need something for my daily driver.

B
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 20 2004, 08:42 PM)
What are you doing with the 2.0 out of the car ? I need something for my daily driver.

B

Brad...you need to stick with a 1.7L car and go against me. Wanna put some money down on the last event of the year?

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Your on. I have a set of NEW Kuhmo tires I can use and 4 new Koni adjustables...LOL Now to get the 1.7 IN the car.

B
Britain Smith
Ah...thats not fair. I was thinking that you would have shit tires and stock shocks. Either way, it will be fun.

-Britain
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 20 2004, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 20 2004, 03:31 PM)
Good for 6-8k mile as well.

we'll see... i can't imagine you'd get 6-8k out of falkens, and if these are softer...

you may get a little more longenvity if you heat cycle them (even if that just means a nice, long hard drive around the block and then let them sit for 1-2 days)...

i'm interested to see how they play out...

I have 5,000 miles on my 205/50/15 Falkens that I mounted on my commute car and they hardly look worn. I think I will get at least 10,000.

But same tires on my 914 have had two AX days and about 1500 miles. They look a bit more worn, but I think I'll get at least 5,000 miles.

Grant
Trekkor
I went out to Sears today, N.A.S.A. track day.
Many cars had the A032 tires on.
Very rainy conditions. They held well and sounded good, too.

KT
ChrisReale
I think the VRacers are treadwear rated at 60.... aktion035.gif
Trekkor
I know the V-racers are a popular tire, too.

what are you running, Chris.

Come to the Schtick and check 'em out.

KT
ChrisReale
I run VRacers. I think I will be at the Schtick (my sir andy reference for the day). I have been happy with them. I know many people who are happy with the Yoko's as well. I think its a different strokes for different folks type of thing. VRacers represent an awsome value. One of these days I will step up to Hoosiers, but my budget and skill level are not there yet
Trekkor
How are the V's on the wet?

If it's sloppy-wet on Saturday, I may have an advantage. wink.gif

*may* lol2.gif

KT
ChrisReale
Never used them in the wet. We will see.... unsure.gif
I have heard that they are "ok", but when you run into standing water they dont agree...
Trekkor
The lot at Candlestick Pt. is known for standing water, ponds, gravel and elevation changes.

it's a cross between rally and hillclimb: with cones. lol2.gif

I told myself I wouldn't run there, did I listen? No.

it should prove to be an *experience*.

KT
Trekkor
Yok's are on and test driven! mueba.gif

Amazing is right. These are soooo sticky.
The feel is incredible.
Absolute steering response.

I'll scuff 'em up a little more before Sat.

I am ready.

KT
McMark
I could hear you driving.

Not really.
Brad Roberts
Trek.. dont forget that you where only using HALF the Falkens prior to the alignment.

See you Saturday.

B
Trekkor
"They" recommend running them at 35 psi.

I will try 35 front and 37 rear.

What are the determining factors for going up or down front or rear?

KT
Randal
Mr. T.

You could have have the 205's I have bagged in the garage.

If you're going on the track we need to talk as I want you safe.
Brad Roberts
I wont let him on the track unless he mounts a front mounted oil cooler.

B
Randal
I wont let him on the track unless he mounts a front mounted oil cooler.

I was shocked when I first went on the track and watched the temperature climb on my 2.0.

Matt Lawrence (engine builder) was at the track and when I asked him the limit he said anything after 250 or 260 was pushing it.

When I ran 250 in the next session (Button Willow - the ground temp was 140 degrees) I had to stop to cool things off.

I think my new oil cooler setup will work pretty well, but haven't had a chance to prove it as yet.

The track is so different than AutoX.
Brad Roberts
Your cooler setup will help... but it wont work enough. You have to run a front mounted cooler setup that is getting air pushed through it. Every single setup mounted to the engine lid has gone away when the person got fast enough to actually push the engine. What works for people running 2:30's at Thunderhill doesnt work for people running 2:14's in the same style 914.

B
Trekkor
here they are! On 5.5 inch wide Pedrini's. Tires are 8 inches wide on the pavement!

total satifaction.

KT
Trekkor
The best tire I've ever driven on biggrin.gif

Soft compound. sticky and silent.
At least I can't hear 'em over the megaphones. lol2.gif

KT
Mueller
how do they fit on the rear??? no brainer on the front, it's the rear we want to see biggrin.gif

(the cars rear, not yours icon8.gif ) LOL
Trekkor
Too dark for a pic right now, I think.

They fit perfect, no issues.

KT
ChrisReale
Nice, wanna sell your Falkens?
Trekkor
I gave 'em away, already. confused24.gif

KT
Mueller
icon_bump.gif

reminder...pic's of rear tires smile.gif
Trekkor
The tires worked great. Only lost it once ( gravel ) mad.gif

These tires really hook up.
I'm still working on PSI, though.
ran 37 front, 39 rear ( hot )

KT

I'll take a rear pic soon.
J P Stein
Hay, I gots some new ones too. Shlicks.

I got tires comming out my ears.....wheels too.
R3SO3 Hoosiers .....4 with cookies
A3SO4 Hoosiers.....4 with cookies

All in 225 X 45 and the tires are in gud shape.

Cheep
Trekkor
for mueller
Trekkor
nutter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.