Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Words of Advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Alphaogre
So I finally picked up a 914. 1970 / 4. I am looking to build so I can just drive it on sundays if I would like or go do some auto cross events as well.

I have a moderate budget in the sense that I can do a lot of the work my self. My last toy was a truck for the desert, so I can fabricate (i will be putting a light cage in) but im looking for what parts or areas I should focus on to have a set up that would be fun driving.gif (not necessarily competitive)

I would like to keep the 4 but do some motor work on it, any recommendations would be great! Also I have found adjustable coil overs and remote oil cooler...

What else should I look in to?

Also, I would like to not run the flairs just yet and I have the five lug 13 inch fuch wheels. I would like to keep them. I think that will be part of the fun.

Thanks!
eric9144
First off welcome.png

Next, everyone is going to want to see more pictures beerchug.gif

Then...I'd personally recommend starting with the braking system and moving on from there, it's an old car, make sure all the 'systems' are sorted out and up to date (i.e. fuel lines, vacuum lines etc)

There's not much that needs to be done to make these cars a joy to drive--A front sway bar, decent shocks and a set of decent tires and you'll out handle most things out there on the road including motorcycles...

Then...Come join us on a Dawn Patrol run driving.gif The best thing you can do for yor 914 is to use it!
SirAndy
If you are new to AX, i'd say make sure everything is in good working order and DON'T do anything else yet.

Get a few events under your belt with a stock car on stock suspension and stock brakes using stock street tires to get a good feeling for how it handles before you start throwing money at parts.

The top 5 things you can do to make you go faster:

1. Driver
2. Driver
3. Driver
4. Driver
5. Tires

driving.gif

PS: welcome.png
pt_700
welcome to the madness! being an early car, i gotta ask how's the shift linkage? hopefully a p.o. converted it to a later side shifter.

i did mine many years ago and it made a big improvement.

probably wise to look into the above posts 1st though.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 3 2012, 01:28 PM) *

If you are new to AX, i'd say make sure everything is in good working order and DON'T do anything else yet.

Get a few events under your belt with a stock car on stock suspension and stock brakes using stock street tires to get a good feeling for how it handles before you start throwing money at parts.

The top 5 things you can do to make you go faster:

1. Driver
2. Driver
3. Driver
4. Driver
5. Tires

driving.gif

PS: welcome.png

Andy is right.

Get the car's systems all working and go out and enjoy the car. Rich Bontempi told me, when I bought my race car in it's original form, don't modify anything, do absolutely nothing except fuel/ oil or replace a tire that cords, for at least a year. And get lots of instructional help from your local PCA chapter.

You will be surprised how much you will learn in a year. Bontempi was right.
EdwardBlume
First year learn how to drive a stock car
Second year, build on it with tires and suspension
Third year, buy a race prepared 914

and

welcome.png
campbellcj
Yup. Also check/fix rust before any of the above. Before you jump into a bunch of suspension mods, make sure that the stock setup is in reasonable condition first. You may find some simple stuff like decomposed bushings or bad tie-rods that can be replaced inexpensively and make a significant difference. Whenever you are ready you can always start sliding down that slippery slope that many of us here have been stuck on for years...

welcome.png
Alphaogre
Yea the car I picked up was a nevada car its whole life so rust is minimal, Im just starting to do the full tear down. since it will be compleatly stripped and rebuilt I would rather update some stuff rather then just take it back to stock and then rip stuff off again.

Im having some trouble with part sites and what not. They seem to be a little harder to find then I thougth.

I would like to try and keep some of the inital cost down and run stock set up suspention but was thinking of runing better strut/ shock set up. Is it better to keep the tortion set up for the front or just run full coil overs? stuff like that.

Also, I could fab up the struts in the front an back, but do you guys notice a big diffrence? I know the sway bars are noticable but how firm are these tubs to begin with?

By the way here is a pic, its going up on stands once I get back from my trip...

IPB Image
pcar916
agree.gif with the above, especially Andy's list (mostly leave the car alone and drive, drive, drive!) with one exception. Shocks. If yours are weak new ones will transform the car.

One of the finest handling 4's I've driven was a solid car with Bilsteins on all four corners. The answer to your question about how stiff the car is? These cars are flexi-flyers if you mount sticky rubber on them and you might want to run street rubber for a season depending on your AX experience in other cars.

I wouldn't run race rubber long at all without a cage or chassis stiffening.

Your idea about doing lots of stuff all at once is compelling from a time perspective except that with suspension changes, you should do those one thing at a time. Otherwise it'll be hard to debug the handling changes you'll face. There be plenty of threads here and in the Paddock about spring/shock/roll bar combinations, but I'd table those until you know the car better.

Happy teenin' beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.