Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT/ Neighbor is selling his Sprite
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
My next door neighbor is an older retired man, he keeps this thing in the garage 364 days a year. He only drives it to get it inspected and registerd each year. He told me he was getting to the point where he just couldnt get in and out easily. He said it just wasnt fun. Now its on Evil Bay.

Check it Out

funny thing, if my 914 wasnt at translog, it would be in the background lol
zymurgist
Buy it. You know you want it.
SLITS
Nice, but not a BugEye wub.gif
JawjaPorsche
I have always called it a bug eye too! But on Wheeler Dealers, they called it a frog eye! Whatever, it is still a classic!
beech4rd
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 5 2012, 12:23 PM) *

I have always called it a bug eye too! But on Wheeler Dealers, they called it a frog eye! Whatever, it is still a classic!

That's because it's always been known as a Frog Eye in England and a Bug Eye here. VWs were always Beetles in England and Bugs here. Two nations, separated by a common language.
ape914
nice, but this car is later than the bug / frog eyed cars. my good friend just purchased a red Bug Eyed AH Sprite three weeks ago, nice project car, super light, no windows (cept front), no outside door handles, no opening trunk, does have the heat option however, less than 1 liter motor.

the later sprites such as this one where much more civilized
billh1963
Cute little car. I'm a bug eye fan myself. My dad had one when I was a baby
KELTY360
Cool little car. I enjoy British cars - my first car was a TR4 - but I enjoy them even more when they are in someone else's garage. shades.gif
stephenaki
Nice car, pre-74 as mine is a 74 and has the black grill. I would love to get my hands on a bugeye or Frogeye as the Brits call them.

Click to view attachment
FROGEYE SPRITE

I'd settle for a Healey too, not greed just love the design.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 5 2012, 01:10 PM) *

Cool little car. I enjoy British cars - my first car was a TR4 - but I enjoy them even more when they are in someone else's garage. shades.gif

Read: leaking oil on their floor, not yours? smile.gif My dad still has my gdad's 51 MG TD, which will be mine someday.
KELTY360
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 5 2012, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 5 2012, 01:10 PM) *

Read: leaking oil on their floor, not yours? smile.gif My dad still has my gdad's 51 MG TD, which will be mine someday.

No, I have German and American cars to fill that role. biggrin.gif My 914 is much friendlier for driving on a regular basis: spacious cabin, top system, storage space, fit and finish, handling, on & on. My '54 Merc ragtop is just plain fun and makes people smile...but they both are equal opportunity puddlers.

I just like the Brits because they have a LOT of character and nostalgia, but they also have enough idiosyncracies to make owning one a full time job to keep on the road. (there's a jackstand joke in there somewhere)
veltror

That's because it's always been known as a Frog Eye in England and a Bug Eye here. VWs were always Beetles in England and Bugs here. Two nations, separated by a common language.

But we speak English correctly. poke.gif
JawjaPorsche
I just love watching Wheeler Dealers because of the different words they have for the same thing.

Bonnet---Hood
Boot---Trunk
Hood---Rag Top (Convertible Top)
Motor---Car
Bright Works---Chrome
Respray----Paint

I am sure there are others I have missed!

biggrin.gif
Rob-O
...And so much of what they find on their cars is "in good nick". Or, good shape as we would say. Or it's "knackered", in which case you know Edd (the big man) is going to get his hands dirty.
DBCooper
I had Sprites that I autocrossed in the Sixties, Bugeyes through a 1275 MkIV chrome bumper with rollup windows (wow!). You might think you want a Sprite but you don't, not really.
rick 918-S
Nice start for a project.

Here's an Alien Project that either needs to be finished or needs to find a new home. Unfortunately it won't be cheap though... assimilate.gif I can't believeWe have had this car that long and not finished it. screwy.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51775
smj
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 5 2012, 11:20 AM) *

I just love watching Wheeler Dealers because of the different words they have for the same thing.

Bonnet---Hood
Boot---Trunk

What I enjoyed was that when I saw a couple episodes earlier this week where they came to the US to buy some cars, they started giving both names. What, did their English viewers suddenly forget the "proper" names for things just because it's a Yank car? biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
Someone might have gotten a bargain. Nice motor.
ThePaintedMan
Spanner = wrench
Diff = rear end
Lorrie = truck
Choc ice = ice cream
Sherbert dab = cab
Apples and pears = stairs
Cream crackered = knackered = wasted = drunk (or wrecked)

Okay, so the last few were cockney.
rwilner
My buddy has a 67 GT6 which is basically a spitfire coupe/hatchback. I've helped him wrench on it some.

It is a great looking car but it's really 1950s technology. The straight 6 makes a nice noise but is gutless and the thing is downright scary if it his a bump on an onramp or offramp. The side-draft SC carbs are rube goldberg contraptions. I won't comment on the lucas electrics. When I get out of his car and into the 914, the 914 feels much more like a "real car," if you can believe that.

Of course, if he ever sells it I told him to call me because i'd buy it in a second.
veltror
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 6 2012, 01:56 PM) *

Spanner = wrench
Diff = rear end
Lorrie = truck
Choc ice = ice cream
Sherbert dab = cab
Apples and pears = stairs
Cream crackered = knackered = wasted = drunk (or wrecked)

Okay, so the last few were cockney.

Lorry, or Juggernaut is used but you have missed some of the classics, windscreen, gearbox, estate, mole grips, pinking, wing and my fave of all Shooting brake...
SLITS
I like - Knock you up ......
veltror
Bun in the Oven...
SLITS
No phone call?

Well anyway, I'm taking the Shooting Brake to a roundabout, but my dampers are wasted. I'll probably need a torch to see the leaks, but I can use a mole wrench to stop them. I lost all my nave plates when my tyres took a dump.
JmuRiz
Bummer that sold already, I could see my parents tooling around in that around town.

Their Saab just got totaled too...and the payout was the selling price sad.gif
ape914
I always prefered Sprite over 7Up.
dlkawashima
Sunshine = Dude?
veltror
No, Bloke = Dude

try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7YuAKWcAwY...feature=related
windforfun
Those things aren't really cars. They're toys. Why the DOT ever permitted their importation is beyond me.
KaptKaos
Bird

I win.
Dr Evil
A spanner also = retard.

Boffin = someone with high levels of knowledge on a particular subject. Like an egghead.

Tele = TV

Pasty = food type thing
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 5 2012, 08:00 AM) *

My next door neighbor is an older retired man, he keeps this thing in the garage 364 days a year. He only drives it to get it inspected and registerd each year. He told me he was getting to the point where he just couldnt get in and out easily. He said it just wasnt fun. Now its on Evil Bay.

Check it Out

funny thing, if my 914 wasnt at translog, it would be in the background lol

For most humans over the age of 12, that point was when it was new!

Maybe he'd consider a trade for a Midget?
euro911
Going on Holiday with a Bird for a Fort Night
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2012, 08:37 AM) *

Pasty = food type thing

A pasty is wonderful thing. You can get them in parts of the USA, like Upper Wisconsin & Michigan's UP.

Anorak = geek/nerd or fanboi about something really obscure, like VW-Porsches (hey! aren't they all now VW-Porsches??)

EDIT: Hey Mark - Fortnight is one word =)
Dr Evil
Midges = mosquitoes.
veltror
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2012, 04:37 PM) *

A spanner also = retard.

Boffin = someone with high levels of knowledge on a particular subject. Like an egghead.

Tele = TV

Pasty = food type thing

Telly, to be accurate, and as an exercise try to find the meanings for

wanker, tosser, throw a wobbly, smeghead (although that will be easy if you watch Red Dwarf), rozzer, and going spare....

osvolant
I had one of these once. Mine was a '62- possibly the first year for this body style after the bug/frog eye. I think I paid $300 for mine.

Apart from the different look and the opening trunk, it's not much different from the bugeye. That is to say, it is a primitive machine with drum brakes all around (twin leading shoes in front, not effective in reverse), quarter-elliptic sprung live rear axle, lever shocks, and 948cc pushrod cast iron lump making about 45 hp with twin SU carbs. The trans is a 4-speed with non-synchro straight cut first gear that sounds like a siren. The top dismantles and goes in the trunk and it has side curtains instead of windows. Makes a 914 seem like a luxury car. In the immortal words of Monty Python: Run Away!

Dr Evil
Buggery was a capitol offense at one point.
struckn
If they had continued to build the Bugeye's they would now look like this.

IPB Image

IPB Image,

And cost $25K

slap.gif
jsayre914
neighbor just told me the buyer never paid, never contacted him. sad.gif

He has a friend doing all the ebay stuff for him, cause he has no idea, and i asked him if he did the second chance offer to the second and 3rd highest bidders and he said he had no idea.

I wished him luck.

Dosnt anybody want to buy another project?
I might get free beer if I can help sell it beer3.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 5 2012, 04:35 PM) *

neighbor just told me the buyer never paid, never contacted him. sad.gif

He has a friend doing all the ebay stuff for him, cause he has no idea, and i asked him if he did the second chance offer to the second and 3rd highest bidders and he said he had no idea.

I wished him luck.

Dosnt anybody want to buy another project?
I might get free beer if I can help sell it beer3.gif

Just checked the ebay link but it was taken down. How high di the bidding get?
jsayre914
I think he said 3900.00 but don't quote me, i can ask him. He would take less, he really wants the garage space.
rick 918-S
Now that the link is dead I can't remember what year it is. Makes a difference. As long as were still playing chip chip cherio and all that rot, how about posting photos and details about the car. Maybe it's worth a second look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.