Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB...small screw in rear view mirror mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jt914-6
Looking for the small flat headed screw that goes throught the rear view mirror stem into the base that's attached to windshield. Need one to attach the mirror to base.
Valy
The mirror is attached to the windshield. No screws screwy.gif
A&PGirl
No, there is such a screw. It goes directly up the bottom of the mirror. Its small and NLA from Porsche. Porsche also used it in their Early 911 mirrors too.

Many cars don't have them. For example, my car didn't and some PO royally buggered the hole by forcing a M6 diameter screw up the rear of the mirror. Poor thing. sad.gif
jmalone
My car came with this screw but I lost the microscopic thing! I went to a sewing machine shop and they were easily able to locate a replacement for me. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
JT, I probably have one. I'll look tomorrow. I can send it to you in an envelope.
jt914-6
Thanks Curt...at least you know that there IS a screw holding the mirror to the base...if you find it, pm me and I'll send you my address....
BTW....Planning on being at the Club Race @ Hallett in Oct..... biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Gotcha covered Jt. Sending a pm.
TheCabinetmaker
Jt, are you gonna do DE or just come for the races? The last two years races have been over around 2:00 on Sunday. the rest of the day is all DE. they usually put everyone together in one run group, so lots of seat time on Sunday. We have had the same grid boss for the last ten years. He got fired this spring. Someone asked me if I wanted the job and I said no, so I don't know if I'll be working the grid or not this year.
6freak
QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 5 2012, 03:06 PM) *

its a set screw.....allen or "hex" very small
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 6 2012, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 5 2012, 03:06 PM) *

its a set screw.....allen or "hex" very small

Nope! its a straight slotted screw with a flat end. Not a set screw.
pete000
Those things can be so tight ! and strip easily I used some anti seize when re installing mine.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 7 2012, 12:36 AM) *

Those things can be so tight ! and strip easily I used some anti seize when re installing mine.

I poked at 3 mirrors and only got one screw to move. The driver I had was just a tad to big. I could feel it in the slot, but it wasn't going far enough in to get a good grip. I stopped before I damaged the slot. Its a brass screw, so its soft. I'll find a driver that fits next time.
jt914-6
Curt.....got the screw....thanks....you rock...
I'll be there at the club race for the whole weekend...Sat-Sun...I'll be there as a spectator...the reason I quit being an instructor....more ME time at the events...Thanks again and see you in Oct.... beerchug.gif driving.gif
ConeDodger
I got a M6 I think, set screw from ACE and it was perfect. Not 'buggered', perfect... It was a few cents.
jt914-6
Said screw.....

Click to view attachment

Mirror with screw in stem and unfinished base that attaches to windshield.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
I was scared you wouldn't be able to find it in that big envelope Jt. See ya at Hallett. We could probably put you to work on the grid. LOL.

Rob, did the set screw have a head on it, or was it an all threaded allen type? Oh yeah, It was perfect, not buggered, and it was free.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 14 2012, 08:33 AM) *

I was scared you wouldn't be able to find it in that big envelope Jt. See ya at Hallett. We could probably put you to work on the grid. LOL.

Rob, did the set screw have a head on it, or was it an all threaded allen type? Oh yeah, It was perfect, not buggered, and it was free.

Threaded allen...
TheCabinetmaker
How does a set screw without a head hold the mirror to the base?There are no threads in the mirror arm, just in the base. Do you have a different mirror?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.