Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road Atlanta DE Video Compilation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Cracker
There are zero (youtube) track video's of LS powered 914's posted for all to see...now there is one.
However, mine fits under the "better than nothing" category. blink.gif

PS - I forgot to mention this also might serve as a demo vid for my car (for sale). Sorry in advance
for the 30 seconds of pics at the beginning.

June 2012 PCA DE - 914 LS2 V8

Tony/Cracker
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 5 2012, 09:15 PM) *

There are hardly any (if not even one LS) v8 track video's available...mine fits
under the "better than nothing" category. blink.gif

PS - I forgot to mention this also might serve as a demo vid for my car (for sale)...sorry for the 25 seconds of pics to start.

Tony/Cracker

And this is exactly why you shouldn't sell it. Great car Tony. Wish I was at the point in my life where I could take care of it for you.
Randal

Wow, your car is really sorted and a rocket ship as well!

And the workmanship, pretty much perfect.

Very impressive and you've made us all jealous.

Any more videos?
grantsfo
Very nice! Rare to see well focused V8 conversion like this one. Looks like you achieved very nice balance. Can you PM me your asking price?
andys
Tony,

Great car. Don't make excuses about the driving. As we get older, we figure out that risk is not worth trading for a great family life.

Tony, what did you do for the oiling system on the LS2 that's got a reputation for oil starvation in long left handers?

BTW, I'm nearly finished with my LS1/Audi 6 speed car.

Andys
Cracker
Andys,

I believe we've discussed this before...the LS2 is the most sought after pan (vette) to go with as it has the best factory baffleing available. If you do not have one pick one up but they are pricey due to the demand. The other key is to only run street tires which is what I've done so far.
andys
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 6 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Andys,

I believe we've discussed this before...the LS2 is the most sought after pan (vette) to go with as it has the best factory baffleing available. If you do not have one pick one up but they are pricey due to the demand. The other key is to only run street tires which is what I've done so far.

Did I ask that before? Heck, I just had my 63rd B'day and can't remember what I typed 20 minutes ago, lat alone two weeks dry.gif Anyway, good luck on your sale.

Andys
Cracker
Andys,

Well it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong this year. sad.gif It probably was someone else...you're ahead of me as I have the same problem (but am only 41)!

Anyway, the LS2 Vette pan works great. The engines that are notorious for failing are the LS3 but that is due to how poor the heads drain back. Everything you see in the video was done with my current set-up and have never lost pressure. The key to LS engines on the track is to run thicker oil as they do get hot and standard weight oil won't handle that well. Thanks for the thoughts!

PS - the car is sold pending payment.

Also, I forgot to mention I have family roots in the area - my mother grew up in Thousand Oaks and I have an Aunt/Uncle who lived in Santa Clarita for 30 years. Nice area you're in!

Tony/Cracker

QUOTE(andys @ Jul 6 2012, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 6 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Andys,

Did I ask that before? Heck, I just had my 63rd B'day and can't remember what I typed 20 minutes ago, lat alone two weeks dry.gif Anyway, good luck on your sale.

Andys
andys
Tony,

A guy on the LS1Tech forms mentioned that the Bondurant Vettes stopped losing engines after switching over to 15W50. As you say, there must be something to that, so I'll do the same before heading to the track for suspenson tuning. Overfilling by one quart is also recommended.

Andys
stewteral
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 5 2012, 06:15 PM) *

There are zero (youtube) video's of LS powered 914's posted for all to see...now there is one.
However, mine fits under the "better than nothing" category. blink.gif

PS - I forgot to mention this also might serve as a demo vid for my car (for sale). Sorry in advance
for the 30 seconds of pics at the beginning.

Tony/Cracker

Hey Tony,

I sure enjoyed your footage on Road Atlanta! I have been running my 914V8
with an 383 SBC + 930 trans for a few years here on SOCAL tracks and was interested in your chassis setup.

Your car seemed very stable and drivable, so I'm wondering if your lighter LSx engine gives you a handling advantage, in addtion to acceleration.

I was hoping to learn:
1) Does your 930 have an open or LSD Diff? (I'm running a Quaife TORSEN)
2) What are you running for rear springs? (I'm using 450# springs, yielding a 526# wheel rate)

Since you seem to be the ONLY other 914V8 running on-track, I'd love to chat about chassis settings and overal handling. I'd be glad to share what I've learned and done to mine over several years of development (by trial & error). Also, I've built some spreadsheet tools, on of which calculates wheels rates by inputting spring, torsionbar and swaybar rates.

On the issue of Not being Boris, I'm with you 100%! There is just no good reason to try driving 10/10ths and putting our toys and bodies at risk. I've been there, done that years ago and the 6 week hospital visit was Not Fun!

Best,
Terry
Cracker
Terry,

Thanks for your comments. Lighter is nearly always better so I'm sure the LS motor has an advantage - not sure of the difference though. Sorting has taken some time and I've gone from downright scary bad at the beginning to very stable and predictable. I really need a rear wing to balance out the splitter - at 130+ the back end was getting way too light! We removed it and it was much improved.

To answer your questions:
1) I run and 80/80 LSD (Porsche)
2) I just installed the 400 lb springs for the event shown in the video ~ I think I wouldn't mind going up to 450 but the car is in the process of being sold. Those changes will be up to the new owner.

You're way more advanced than I am regarding the "science" behind the changes. I use my "arse" to determine what is going on and what I need changed. I've always adjusted my sway bars on a "sort" basis. The car is not perfect but is really, really stable/predictable. It took some time but it is rewarding to see the car come around like it has. I PM'd you my phone number.

Also, opinions matter but that's all they are. For instance, I've heard about NOT running a rear sway bar on 914's - hog wash for me. I found my best set-up included the rear bar set to full soft. I did not like the feel without it.
Tony
Krieger
From what I've heard people do not run a rear sway bar if they do not have a limited slip. So your arse fits with conventional wisdom.
stewteral
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 6 2012, 07:38 PM) *

Terry,

Thanks for your comments. Lighter is nearly always better so I'm sure the LS motor has an advantage - not sure of the difference though. Sorting has taken some time and I've gone from downright scary bad at the beginning to very stable and predictable. I really need a rear wing to balance out the splitter - at 130+ the back end was getting way too light! We removed it and it was much improved.

To answer your questions:
1) I run and 80/80 LSD (Porsche)
2) I just installed the 400 lb springs for the event shown in the video ~ I think I wouldn't mind going up to 450 but the car is in the process of being sold. Those changes will be up to the new owner.

You're way more advanced than I am regarding the "science" behind the changes. I use my "arse" to determine what is going on and what I need changed. I've always adjusted my sway bars on a "sort" basis. The car is not perfect but is really, really stable/predictable. It took some time but it is rewarding to see the car come around like it has. I PM'd you my phone number.

Also, opinions matter but that's all they are. For instance, I've heard about NOT running a rear sway bar on 914's - hog wash for me. I found my best set-up included the rear bar set to full soft. I did not like the feel without it.
Tony

Hey Tony,

I really enjoyed our phone chat on the V8-conversion topic. I've concluded that what make your car SO good are the LSD and that lower weight Monster motor! While our chassis settings are pretty similar, your car is FREAKIN' fast!!: Did you ever think your little Porsche would BLOW off 'Vettes on the Straights?

You've put a great car together and I hope your buyer can appreciate how much he's getting for his $$.

Best,
Terry
Cracker
Terry - Ditto. In all fairness to those two ZO6's...they were pointing me by and not drag racing my car down the back straight. With that said a stock ZO6 can't hang with me but thats hardly a fair comparison, on many levels. My car feels light, accelerates like it's light and brakes like it's light.

The engine with that 650 cam is just amazing - even tame on the streets. Not having power brakes, steering and such makes it possible.

He knows what he's getting...he's also paying a fair amount for it (far less than it would cost to duplicate)!

Tony

QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 12 2012, 09:17 PM) *

Hey Tony,

I really enjoyed our phone chat on the V8-conversion topic. I've concluded that what make your car SO good are the LSD and that lower weight Monster motor! While our chassis settings are pretty similar, your car is FREAKIN' fast!!: Did you ever think your little Porsche would BLOW off 'Vettes on the Straights?

You've put a great car together and I hope your buyer can appreciate how much he's getting for his $$.

Best,
Terry

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.