Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 14 Year Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
westo2
I posted a picture in the "What did you do to your 914 today" thread, but thought I'd expand upon the rebuild here.

After 14 years of restoration - my 1972 is inspected and back running the roads of upstate NY, just in time for it to celebrate it's 40th birthday.

My father owned a 1972 914 from new back in the early 70's, and had to sell it when my brother was born in '77. He's had his eye out for one of these since.

I bought this 914 for $200 back in 1998, my soph year of High School. It was your typical salt country rust bucket. Spent the better part of 2 years upside down in my parents yard getting clamshells welded, new floor pan, thresholds, rebuild the battery box/hell hole, front and rear trunk repairs etc. etc. etc.

At that point, I went away to college and the car went back in the Barn. I figured the project was dead after completing undergrad, getting married, buying a house, and working on grad school. Enter 2007, when my father purchased a 1973 914 (that ran and everything!) and the wife decided it was time.

She knew I had this thing, as well as boxes and boxes of parts, and back in late 2007 gave me an ultimatum - fix it, or get rid of it. Her only condition was that she get to pick the color. I agreed as long as it was a factory color for that year. She went with L50E - Adriatic Blue.

The picture below is the condition she knew it in at that time (keep in mind - this is after years of an on again-off again restoration):

IPB Image

And her helping prep for paint (it had been sitting in an old hay barn untouched for about 5-6 years at this point):

IPB Image

Stripped and almost ready for paint:

IPB Image

Some more (surprise!) metal work:

IPB Image

Got it back from paint in the summer of 2008. Slowly began the process of re-assembly and getting the engine put back together. Just about every screw, nut and rivet on this car has been monkeyed with. I have a barn full of parts, as well as 2 parts cars, and between that and the fine resources on this site (Engman, Jeff Bowlsby and Mikey914 in particular - top quality products all around!), we've gotten it put back together.

I live about 2 hours away from my parents, and between continued graduate school, the arrival of children and life in general getting in the way, the reassembly has taken much longer than expected. The wife has been amazingly patient through this process, and by 2010 I figured we had it ready to go. The fuel injection had other ideas however. Enter another child, and lots of work travel as well as starting a second masters, and back into delay.

Finally - last fall - we get the fuel injection sorted - just in time to drive the car to storage for the winter. At this point - I had now put 6 miles on this car in 13 years of ownership - but it was the greatest 6 miles I've ever driven.

Get it out this spring, and set to work finishing the final details. It took until just a few days ago, but she passed NYS inspection and is all set to hit the road.

Post inspection - My two year old, Charlotte, is more excited about "daddy's '14" than I am I think:

IPB Image

July 4th saw my father and I making a run into town - me in my '72 and him in his '73. Gorgeous day for a drive and made all that much sweeter by the years of work leading to this point.

Leaving the garage (that's my father's 1982 928 on the left):

IPB Image

Two happy 914s:

IPB Image

Here's to many years of driving ahead and introducing the next generation to the joys (and headaches) that come with owning a 40 year old car. My father and I took my 2 year old to Hershey this spring, and she brings the road trip up at least once a week.

Thanks to all on this forum for the resources you have provided - without the collective knowledge of those here, there is no chance that this ever would have gotten to where it is.

I also owe my parents a debt of gratitude, my father for his years of work on the car, and my mother as she's been evicted from her spot in the garage since the car got back from paint in 2008. Thanks to my wife as well, who has been very understanding of the madness.....

beerchug.gif
ThePaintedMan
That is a really cool, touching story. I'm a sucker for father/son stories in particular. Great looking car and looks like you did it right so your kids will be able to enjoy the car for another 40 years!
reharvey
Wow! Nice job and it looks like you did most of the work yourself. Ray
JawjaPorsche
That is a neat story! It is especially nice since you and your dad both have teeners!

beerchug.gif

My dad was a foreman at Ford Motor Company so all we had was Ford's. He would not be caught dead in a foreign car! He did not disown me when I got my teener in 73!
westo2
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jul 6 2012, 11:00 AM) *

Wow! Nice job and it looks like you did most of the work yourself. Ray

Everything done by us except the paint and the windshield installation.

The only other thing I want to have done is have a local mechanic who is more familiar with TIV engines than I am to go through the motor to ensure it is tuned properly.

Anyone got any reccomendations in the Syracuse/Rochester/Finger Lakes area?

-Weston
nathansnathan
Nice! It looks like a 73-74 in L51P Olympic blue with the silver lid letters. What happened to adriatic blue? smile.gif
westo2
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jul 6 2012, 11:24 AM) *

Nice! It looks like a 73-74 in L51P Olympic blue with the silver lid letters. What happened to adriatic blue? smile.gif

It's just the camera lightening the appearance of the color - it is darker in person. I went with the silver lettering simply out of personal preference.
wndsnd
Nice job. It gives us confidence to keep pushing on our projects. My dad got me started on Porsches with his 1956 356A Coupe. I remember as a kid when he tried to sell it, I used to stand out front of the house in front of the "For Sale" sign hoping no one would see it. I remember he had a crow bar across from the longitudinal to the center tunnel under the drivers seat to keep from falling through the rusted floor!

Many years and cars later I have passed the Porsche Passion down to my sons and even had my Grand Daughter in my 914 for a cameo appearance over Fathers Day.

Four generations, and now my first 914 project... I only hope I can finish sooner than you!

driving.gif
shoguneagle
agree.gif smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Just too cool. Tells in a few pictures and comments what the hobby is all about. Congrats!!!

Steve Hurt driving.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
Ian Stott
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story! What kind of muffler do you have? I noticed the 2 outlets and am thinking that isn't stock, and since I am in the hunt for a muffler that doesn't choke the engine but is quiet.....................

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Nice work! Get that thing on the road and enjoy! Thanks for sharing... aktion035.gif
westo2
Ian - I don't recall the make of the muffler, but it is actually for a later model exhaust, I had better quality heat exchangers from a car I stripped out, so I replaced the whole thing. It puts out a nice level of volume though, not at all overwhelming.

It is still out in the Finger Lakes, but I'm headed out a week from today to bring it up to my house in Buffalo.

Some more photos taken this morning:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
westo2
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jul 7 2012, 08:23 AM) *

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story! What kind of muffler do you have? I noticed the 2 outlets and am thinking that isn't stock, and since I am in the hunt for a muffler that doesn't choke the engine but is quiet.....................

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Ian - It is a Tri-Mil, sold by Pelican - here is a closer view:

IPB Image

Link:
Tri-Mil dual tip muffler

Again, it was for the 1.8L/2.0L, so I replaced the entire exhaust system from the engine back. Also had to use a late model hanger bracket with it.
3d914
Beautiful car & Nice job. Now its time to Enjoy!

driving.gif
Mr.242
2012 is the prediction of the end of the world.

You better quit typing about that car and get to driving it....

Nice work. Amazing story and an even better car! You should be very proud and I like hearing how the entire family is your support network. Love it beerchug.gif
porbmw
Congrats!' piratenanner.gif

Great story, beautiful car!

It's hard to do these restos, with families, jobs, school etc...and the more drawn out they are, they harder they are to finish. Just trying to figure out what went where...or where that @#@# screw or clip disappeared to, gets so frustrating.

So enjoy the results, they are worth it beerchug.gif
nathansnathan
Now that looks Adriatic. smile.gif Drive it until it snows! Keep that Buffalo salt away from it. welcome.png
westo2
Made the two hour trip from the Central New York to Buffalo today - she ran like a Swiss watch along the thruway. By far the most fun trip I've had covering that 150 mile stretch. Now, she's sleeping soundly, waiting to go tomorrow.

IPB Image
billh1963
Great looking car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.