Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shift conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bugsy0
On my '71, there is a bulkhead about 18" behind the shifter inside the tunnel, with a hole in it for the shift rod to pass through. Now that I have converted to a side-shift trans, linkage and shifter, the hole in this bulkhead isn't big enough due to the fact that the new shift rod "swings" side to side. The tail shift rod doesn't "swing", it only rotates and needs little clearance. With the side shift rod & shifter, the bulkhead interferes with the rod in 1st/reverse. The hole needs to be opened up about 1/8".

Anybody else run into this? Suggestions? I could bend the rod (not going to happen) or cut open the tunnel (undesireable), but I'd like to hear what others have done.

Tom
brant
weird,

I haven't ever seen that problem before
I have converted tail shifts and did not have clearance issues
weird...

bugsy0
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 6 2012, 01:50 PM) *

weird,

I haven't ever seen that problem before
I have converted tail shifts and did not have clearance issues
weird...

It only needs another 1/8" or so on the right side of the hole. It interferes only in 1st/reverse, but it makes a god-awful screetch when the rod slides along the edge of the hole.

It *is* weird because I wasn't able to locate any info via search and there is no means to adjust for clearance. Maybe this bulkhead wasn't welded in position correctly?? If I get desperate I'll cut open the tunnel but jeez, that would be a shame.
etcmss
in my recent restoration (to put in a side shift in a 71) Brad Mayeur provided some simple directions to enlarge the shift rod hole. it basically has you enlarge the hole on the passenger side to avoid contact. it worked for me. thanks to Brad.
Gary
brant
can you get a tool in there to push/pound the bulk head...

maybe gary will share Brad's directions.

SirAndy
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Jul 6 2012, 12:44 PM) *

The hole needs to be opened up about 1/8".
Anybody else run into this? Suggestions? I could bend the rod (not going to happen) or cut open the tunnel (undesireable), but I'd like to hear what others have done.

Something isn't right. I didn't have to do anything to that part when i went to a side-shifter.

Are you sure you got all the correct components and they're installed correctly?
popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Jul 6 2012, 12:59 PM) *
It *is* weird because I wasn't able to locate any info via search and there is no means to adjust for clearance. Maybe this bulkhead wasn't welded in position correctly?? If I get desperate I'll cut open the tunnel but jeez, that would be a shame.

Can't you move the shifter console a bit over to the right instead?
idea.gif
bugsy0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2012, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Jul 6 2012, 12:59 PM) *

Can't you move the shifter console a bit over to the right instead?
idea.gif

The shifter console does have room to move left/right about 1/16" but I need more and that would require cutting/welding. I agree - it doesn't seem right, but what could be wrong? I'm 99% sure my parts are correct: rod in the tunnel, external rod at trans, couplings, bushings, shifter. All parts are side-shift parts. I did use a conversion bushing at the firewall but that shouldn't affect it.

I cannot get a die grinder or other tool far enough in the tunnel - too tight (914s are FLAT cars). I'd need a dremel on a flexible head, which I don't have (and don't really want).

So nobody has seen this? hmm
bugsy0
Do the '73/later cars have this bulkhead? Is the shift console in the same exact location & position on tail vs. side shifters?
SirAndy
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Jul 6 2012, 02:09 PM) *

Do the '73/later cars have this bulkhead? Is the shift console in the same exact location & position on tail vs. side shifters?

Yes, they do and yes, it's the same shape.

Now, one thing i have seen in the past is that the divider with the hole has come lose (it's just spotwelded).

If one or more welds have broken off or if it got dinged when a PO was trying to fiddle the rod through, i could see how the rod could hit the metal.

Maybe you just need to give it a good whack to bend it back into shape ...
idea.gif
Dr Evil
I am having trouble understanding what the problem is. The ring on the inside of the tunnel is taken out with the shifter when you convert to a side shifter. What part of yoru internal rod is hitting what? If you are using a shirt shift kit without the spacer you will have contact problems.

Otherwise, there should be no bulkhead contact.

You used the correct converting bushing at the firewall, yes?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 6 2012, 02:31 PM) *
I am having trouble understanding what the problem is.

No surprise there ... biggrin.gif

There's a small "bulkhead" inside the center tunnel about halfway between the shifter and the firewall.
It has a hole in it that the rod passes through.

His problem is that the rod is hitting the metal of the bulkhead when trying to get into 1st/reverse.

Thinking about it, i'm almost certain it's either bend or lose making contact with the rod.
idea.gif
Dr Evil
Oh, that thing. Ya, it is not different from model to model so it may be loose.
bugsy0
It's hard to see it (have to use a mirror and bright light) but I believe the bulkhead is intact and unharmed. I think it was installed slightly out of position, and the issue didn't show up at the factory because it was 1970 and the side-shifter hadn't been developed. OK, so tonight I'm going to take it apart and dig deep for creative solutions. Rebuilt gearbox shifts sweet otherwise!
bugsy0
QUOTE(etcmss @ Jul 6 2012, 02:17 PM) *

in my recent restoration (to put in a side shift in a 71) Brad Mayeur provided some simple directions to enlarge the shift rod hole. it basically has you enlarge the hole on the passenger side to avoid contact. it worked for me. thanks to Brad.
Gary

Thanks Gary, Brad. If you're out there please post your method for opening this hole. Something like a hole saw on a long-ass arbor, accessed from the firewall end?
bugsy0
For posterity, here's a pic of what I'm talking about. You are looking into a mirror, toward the rear of the car inside the tunnel. In the mirror image, you can see the shift rod passing through the bulkhead. Passenger side of the hole in this bulkhead needs to be opened to clear the rod when in 1st/reverse.

Thanks all for your input
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Nice pic, worth a thousand posts smile.gif

Are you sure your sifter was adjusted right on? A variance in this may cure your issue if it was not spot on.
bugsy0
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 6 2012, 10:51 PM) *

Nice pic, worth a thousand posts smile.gif

Are you sure your sifter was adjusted right on? A variance in this may cure your issue if it was not spot on.

OK - we can put this one to bed. My son was able to get a small pneumatic die grinder inside the tunnel. We taped the trigger full-on, disconnected the air hose until he could get it into position and then I'd plug 'er in. He opened the hole artfully and the linkage is now free-and-clear front to back. He removed about 1/8" from the region between 8:00 and 11:00 if you were to look at the hole facing the rear of the car.

Re. the shifter being mis-adjusted - I've gotten better at this as I get a feel for what/how that whole mechanism wants to work. So, likely my original trouble was in part due to adjustment issues. Regardless I am confident that I needed to open that hole a bit.

BTW, those bands and teeth you sent shift like a dream - thanks!
TargaToy
Just my two cents...but has the clutch cable ever seized in the tube and damaged the firewall?

That happened on my car at some point before I owned it and the entire clutch tube was pulled forward inside the tunnel.

The tube is welded to the bulkhead you're wondering about. When the tube moves, the bulkhead moves.

Here's a pic from my car before I welded it back in place.

Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
Glad things worked out. It is hard to argue with results.
majkos
whats the history on this 914 seat belts?

If the seat belt bolt itself too long....installed,
it pushes against the shifter rod.

BTDT mad.gif

(This is after I put a sideshift in a '72)

Phil Plummer
How much is the linkage kit? if I want to change my 71 to a side shift
I have found a few ads on side shift transmiisions where do I buy the linkage Kit ??
Regards Phil
Dr Evil
The linkage kit cost varies depending on what people decide to sell it for. You need the engine bar, mounts, rods from the inside of the cabin to the tranz, shifter.
stugray
Dr. Evil

Do you have pics of the kit and what parts are needed?
I should be picking up a sideshift in the morning and I THINK I have all the shift linkage parts for the conversion (and the engine mount). I just printed pages 184-187 of the PET catalog to go inventory my parts stash. ;-)

Any parts I am missing I will gladly buy from you.

Next: anyplace to get the plastic covers for the tranny & the firewall that keep the crap out?

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.