Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 917-style shift knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
The factory 917s had balsa shift knobs to reduce weight.

IPB Image

A guy on the Pelican 911 board is making replacements for 901 and 915 shifters...

Here's mine on my Rennshift shifter
Dave-O
I was gonna whip one up on the lathe this winter. How much is he asking for them? (If you don't mind me asking)

David
bondo
That's more important than losing unsprung weight! All that weight savings at the end of the shifter must really speed up shifting! tongue.gif Seriously though, it looks cool.. It'd be fun to do a checkerboard pattern or something smile.gif
Dave-O
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 20 2004, 08:48 PM)
It'd be fun to do a checkerboard pattern or something smile.gif

idea.gif .....now you got the old wheels turning...i'm always up to try something original aktion035.gif

David
i love porsche
ooo i like that...hmm should i get that? or the one with the porsche crest...and yeah..how much?
Qarl
$39 including delivery.

This was the 1.75" version. There is also a 1.5 inch version.

It is very well made. It has been machined so that you still utilize the crush sleeve. The fit and finish are perfect.

Contact Mark Cross vie e-mail at

macross860@columbus.rr.com

Tell him you came from 914world.com
i love porsche
40 bucks!!!! wow!, that beats the 80 bucks for the other one...sign me up!
Qarl
e-mail Mark in the message above!
76911s
I got some new picture of the original knob in a 917. I thought I would share. Sure would look good in the 914's!

Thanks Qarl!
Rough_Rider
If your handy with woodstain, paintbrush & can figure out how to mount the thing you could save yourself a bundle of cash & get the same effect.

I made seomething similar for my Audi & was considering doing one for my teener.

Pop down to a local craft store, they should have wood spheres from 1" to 2" in various increments. Cost 0.50c.
Wood stain & varnish
Dremmel with sanding & gouging bits.
Mounting hardware, for the audi i used a couple of nuts which matched the shifter thread.

Used the dremmel to make a hole in sphere. Glued the nuts in with some wood glue.
Sanded the wood smooth. Wood stain to create whatever color & effect you desire. Use some painter pinstrip tape to make patterns. Or use a stencil.
Let dry & clean then varnish to protect the finish.

HTH.
Ferg
Just ordered mine. smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
looks way cool...how does it "feel" when shifting?

I know the factory plastic knob sucks and it too damn hard.......

will a ring damage it (yes, I wear a ring on my right hand as well as my left) wacko.gif
76911s
One of the reasons I work with wood everyday, it always feels good in the hand.
I do not believe a ring would be a problem, the knobs are finished with a friction polish while they are still on the lathe. Its not super hard, but should hold up well to use. Plus the wood will develop its own patina over time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.