Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 turn signal repair/replacement options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.242
So I've finished my SIX and have started driving her. It feels so good...but gradually the switch started giving me issues.

It started with a sensitivity piece on having the headlights work on low beam. But I didn't care because I am not driving at night....yet.

Next the self canceling isn't working but that is okay because I can do that part on my own.

Then yesterday...now I can't get the right blinker to work at all. confused24.gif

I need options here. I've emailed Bowlsby....let's see if I can get it repaired.

Looking for ideas for a repair. I've never taken the clam shell off the column. I've searched for a thread on how, I'm nervous that crap is going to spring every where. Anyone have pics and a process of how to disassemble. I'm going to dive in on it this afternoon. (PNW time)

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
Nothing in there to spring out at you. Not sure if a six column is different, but I've never had to remove the "clamshell" to access the turn signal parts. You might have to remove the knee pad on the bottom of the dash. Get it apart and see what you need.
SirAndy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 7 2012, 09:07 AM) *
Not sure if a six column is different

Quite a bit different, actually ...
idea.gif
Mr.242
I got into it and could see where there was a part worn and not working correctly. I removed the canceling spring, modified the broken part (small zip tie) and I am now back working but in self canceling mode.

Headlights work better too, but not perfect. Isn't there a way to use an older 911 switch and modify it using the SIX wiring to use as a replacement?

Anyone have a loaner they would share with me while I work on getting mine repaired? or a RENTAL? I can't seem to get myself to park this thing while I am repairing it...rather drive driving.gif It has been 4 years!
toolguy
I believe a -6 is the same as a 911 for that year. . it is not the same as a 4 cylinder
sixerdon
The /6 assembly is unique to itself with it's own part no., 914 613 303 10 as is the wiper assembly. However, there may be individual parts within the assembly that could be switched from an early 911, but I have never had the two assembly's side by side to compare.
Like most /6 parts, they are NLA.
Don
914Sixer
Six switches have not been available for about 15 yrs. You can however take a 70-73 911 switch and convert it to a -6 switch. I do not know IF Jeff Blowsby is still willing to make the conversions. He did one for me but it has been at least 5 yrs ago, You might contact Jeff.

Last time I checked there were about 50+ wiper switches left. All are special order from Germany.
Mr.242
It is working, albeit poorly. I simply do not want to make my car a non-driver while it is gone for repair. I've studied pictures and it appears parts from a 911 switch could be used, but the wiring harness is exclusive to a SIX.

I have read where Bowlsby did this in the past. I have recieved an email from him to ship it down. I'm just waiting until I won't be driving the car for a period of time. 80 degree weather in Seattle is to priceless to be without a driver.

Anyone got a rental piece or loaner? beerchug.gif
larryM
have an oem 1970 -6 combo switch in a box - only thing wrong is it does not cancel on left turn, otherwise fine

- best offer - use it for parts or whatever?

p.m. if interested

LarryM
sixnotfour
I got one and need to go to Rohdyguy sat.

i got a few nos before from Emory before AA got the lost wharehouse.
Mr.242
Jeff,
I'll take it....depending on what you want for it. <GULP>
I have to run to Wenatchee on Saturday and will be coming back through to go back to our cabin in Shelton. I can hit up Kevin for a FLY BY....

Thanks! beerchug.gif
JoeSharp
I have changed out a 911 switch for a -6 the only thing you need to change is the conector. I put the wire looms from the 2 switchs in a vice with the 911 on top and moved the pins from the -6 to the 911 switch. As I recall the wire codes were the same also.
type47fan
'70 914/6 turn signal switch, excellent, reasonable.

Send PM, if interested.

Thanks
sixnotfour
242 buy Wayne's and sell me your broke one. Perfect.
Mr.242
Pm's sent.
Mr.242
icon_bump.gif

Anyone willing to sell me something? I'm willing to do the 911 switch over, I'm capable. But what is the part # on the 911 switch. I want to make sure I buy the correct one.

Thanks!
Mr.242
Round two of PM's. Interested buyer here. type.gif

sixnotfour
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 17 2012, 08:44 PM) *

Round two of PM's. Interested buyer here. type.gif

I had my kid put some thing in the attic , looking .............
Mr.242
icon_bump.gif

Pm's sent...cash flow soon to go to hookers. LMK if I can buy a switch.

I drove home last night at midnight. Any right signaled turns kills my headlights screwy.gif So I just quit turning right! I just got home....lots of lefts!
6freak
and fix your low gas light ..when it comes on you have 20 miles before your walking
smile.gif
Mr.242
I've pm'd everyone again. I still looking for a replacement switch; either a 911 model (still don't know the model #) or the entire replacement for the 914-6.

Thanks and any help I can get would be helpful. bye1.gif

Mark
type47fan
QUOTE(type47fan @ Jul 11 2012, 01:14 PM) *

'70 914/6 turn signal switch, excellent, reasonable.

Send PM, if interested.

Thanks

Mark,

Will send switch via USPO Priority Mail Flat Rate tomorrow.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.