Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slick compounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Anyone ever see a comparison between Goodyear and Avon compounds?

Like a Goodyear 165 is comparable to an Avon A50 compound.

I tried all kinds of Internet searches, but this jewel is simply missing. mad.gif
J P Stein
Near as I could figure the A50 is one step harder than the A15 Avon.....which seems to be too soft for AX temps over bout 50 deg.
Since we are spending your money, the A50 would be my choice. biggrin.gif

As to correlation to *any* slick to *any* other of a different manufacture, I'll give you a confused24.gif I'm sure there is a "loop" somewhere but we ain't in it. It costs a bunch of money to test tires. Anybody doing it would be a fool to give that info away for free. GRM is about as close as it comes to that but I've never seen them test slicks.
BMXerror
The man to ask about this would be Jeff Kiesel, as I'm sure he's run both, and probably tested them side by side. We know he's in the Goodyear camp, as he's a contract driver for them. However he only became a contract driver after doing extensive testing and determining that they were the best tire for his car. He could tell you which compounds are comparable and probably give you an honest evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of the two. You should be able to get ahold of him through the Arizona and/or San Diego region solo2 websites, or also on Facebook. He's even got an account on 914world under 'FD racer', but I doubt he checks it often. Good luck.
Mark D.
Randal
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jul 14 2012, 07:18 AM) *

The man to ask about this would be Jeff Kiesel, as I'm sure he's run both, and probably tested them side by side. We know he's in the Goodyear camp, as he's a contract driver for them. However he only became a contract driver after doing extensive testing and determining that they were the best tire for his car. He could tell you which compounds are comparable and probably give you an honest evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of the two. You should be able to get ahold of him through the Arizona and/or San Diego region solo2 websites, or also on Facebook. He's even got an account on 914world under 'FD racer', but I doubt he checks it often. Good luck.
Mark D.

I've been looking for Jeff at events, but so far haven't connected. Jeff is running 13" wheels, which actually gives you more compound options that 15"ers. Goodyear has some interesting compounds there and so does Hoosier.

With 15" wheels I've made the decision to try the Avon hill climb compound which will work perfect at the Marina where I normally run. Funny but the coldest weather I ever eperienced was in was basic training at Ford Ord. The Marina is right next to Fort Ord and experiences the same weather.

I also think that for real hot weather events, like the enduro up in Medford I'll just switch back to Goodyear 250 cantilevered tires. Although I might try a run at the enduro, with the Avons to see if they can hold up for 4 minutes, with lots of corners. You can look at my practice session (or Britain's) at Medord on You Tube and get an idea of the number of corners you do in 3 laps, let along 5 laps of the enduro in warm weather.

I also wonder whether the soft Avons would go off in a 2:00 minute 14 corner hill climb, like Hoopa, which is typically very hot. Can they really heat up that fast and go off? Will just have to try and find out as getting solid information about what they really do is non-existent for a 914 at my weight.

I wish I'd had the Avons at Cascade Lakes in June when the road temperature was +/- 60 degrees (air temp +/- 50 degrees) when I ran.
grantsfo
Let me remember. I think his quote was I'd rather run hard compound Good Year than a piece of crap avon!

Soft Avon would be worthless at Hoopa on a hot day. Like I have said Avon is one trick pony for us using 15 and 16 inch wheels. No use for them once temps are above 70 degrees. And yes soft compounds would go off in long ax run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.