Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory 914/6 oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
Looks like I'm going to have to remove the tank to remove the sail panel and targa trim. It isn't painfully obvious how it's mounted. Any body know the details? And while we're at it, any gotchas when removing it?
Brad Roberts
The lower oil line fitting holds the bottom.

The two 13mm nuts bolt it to the inside panel.

Remove the relay board if you havent.

B
Lawrence
Yeah, unbolting it is easy. Consider replacing the grommets and oil filler gasket while you're in there.

R&R requires a contortionist. smile.gif

-Rusty
Gint
R&R requires a contortionist.

What's new?

Thanks guys
ArtechnikA
...and be glad your car is squished on the right side, not the left like mine - i'm gonna hafta do bodywork so i can get the oil tank out so i can begin the bodywork ...
Gint
...and be glad your car is squished on the right side, not the left like mine

Good point. Although I had to be very creative getting the wheel off the right side!
mr914
I just pulled mine out last week. Sounds like Ginter and I are doing a similar rustoration.

A side note. You do have to take the oil filter spout off to get the tank out.

Mine had a bunch of undercoating and dirt that made it a little difficult to get out.

Discovered something. It appears that the oil tank was originally copper plated and then painted. Is this correct?
Gint
Mine has some missing paint and shows copper or brass below. It's still in the car at this point. I have heard in the past that they are copper (I think). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
JWest
The oil tank is steel, copper plated, then painted.
Gint
Thanks James
Don Wohlfarth
Take your time. Years of acculated dirt and debris get packed around the tank and you'll swear someone is lying to you about the removal. wink.gif
I cleaned the tank surface and found some small oil leaks. Made sure every thing was clean and used fiberglass cloth and resin to seal it. Damn thing was so tight was afraid to try anything else. 10-12 years later and no leaks.
krk
QUOTE(Don Wohlfarth @ May 13 2003, 01:15 PM)
Take your time. Years of acculated dirt and debris get packed around the tank and you'll swear someone is lying to you about the removal. wink.gif
I cleaned the tank surface and found some small oil leaks. Made sure every thing was clean and used fiberglass cloth and resin to seal it. Damn thing was so tight was afraid to try anything else. 10-12 years later and no leaks.

Don,

10-12 years? That's cool! (not too many things last that long unmaintained!)

hm... have we seen pics of your /6? (subtle, eh?)

mueba.gif

kim.
Gint
Can comeone please tell me how to get this sonofabitch out? I've removed all appendages and have the tank out of all of the holes in the inner fenderwell (the pic is before attempt at removal). I can't get it more than a few inches aft.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ginter @ May 14 2003, 06:32 PM)
Can comeone please tell me how to get this sonofabitch out?

have ya tried foul language ? i understand that's required in liberal quantities...
IIRC it doesn't come 'aft' so much as 'down' - but i haven't done mine personally so i can't from firsthand experience...

off to dinner and a Sneak Preview of The Matrix Unloaded... (probably our last night to play fior a while...)
Gint
have ya tried foul language ? i understand that's required in liberal quantities...
IIRC it doesn't come 'aft' so much as 'down' - but i haven't done mine personally so i can't from firsthand experience...

That's usually the first tool I reach for...

I can't get it down due to the line on the outer side of the tank (the one that goes under the trailing arm and then inboard to the motor). And I don't have enough room to get a wrench in to get the line off.

Enjoy your night off Rich.
Porsche Rescue
My memory says the line you are talking about comes off the bottom of the tank and goes over the trailing arm. It is pretty short (12-14"). Should just drop straight down with the tank. My problem was installing when I learned the hard way that I could not get a wrench in to tighten it. Had to pull the tank again and align the hose, tighten, then re-install tank.
Gint
Thank you Jim, That's the one. Problem is, I can't get a wrench on the small nut (on the line) or the large nut on the bottom of the tank. No clearance for the wrench up in there. And I can't get it low enough past the bottom ridge either.
Gint
Brad?
Brad Roberts
Take another pic for me.. and back the camera out a little. I need to see that whole line. I normally leave that hose attached to the tank and disconnect it from the union for the short line running to the oil cooler. There should be a union that hangs in that 9146 specific "loop" welded to the frame rail.. it has a little rubber ring in it to keep from chaffing the rubber oil lines.

B
Gint
Can't. The camera was on the ground as it is. That's the hose. It disconnected from the pipe and the union that goes in that loop your referring to. The line is only about 10" long total.
Brad Roberts
Gint,

I'm gathering the tank wont come down ?

B
Gint
Will this help?
Gint
Gint,

I'm gathering the tank wont come down ?

Won't come down or back.
Brad Roberts
Will pulling the control arm cup off help in any way ?? You will only lose the toe setting which can be done later with 2 tape measures (or even one)

B
Brad Roberts
Check and see if the fender support has been "welded" back on. The factory did a clean job... Joe Hack will have used a MIG welder. It looks like the fender is sucked in right in front of the where the tire would be. This will keep you from getting the tank out. You may want o think about cutting the support and pullin the fender out a little.

B
Gint
Will pulling the control arm cup off help in any way ?? You will only lose the toe setting which can be done later with 2 tape measures (or even one)

Not really. If I need clearance anywhere it's up above the control arm mount. The hose will bend down and out away from the CA. The problem is that union above the ridge at the bottom of the quarter.

Check and see if the fender support has been "welded" back on. The factory did a clean job... Joe Hack will have used a MIG welder. It looks like the fender is sucked in right in front of the where the tire would be. This will keep you from getting the tank out. You may want o think about cutting the support and pullin the fender out a little.

That occurred to me. I need to hit the rack. I need to be up again in 6 hours. Thanks B.
Don Wohlfarth
Ginter, Brad may be right that the fender is pushed in a little.
You should be able to move the tank in some type of back and forth motion. If you can get any movement, even a 1/2 in or so, that's a start. smile.gif
It's just an accumulation of crud that has built up in there that is causing the problem. You can try to wash some of the junk out with a hose, even a pressure washer if available.
Not trying to add insult to injury but the second time you remove it will be a hell of a lot easier. wink.gif
Pictures...well it's a matter of motivation. My wife bought me a digital camera 3 years ago for Christmas. I've used it twice. blink.gif Moving on to computers...I don't do anything more than I need to. Notice my avatar? It's one of those things that just isn't important to me. Sorry. beer.gif
Gint
Thanks Don. I really don't think the fender is pushed in, although I admit it kind of looks like it in the pic. I may very well end up cutting the fender support. Thr car is going to the body shop anyway. It will be loaded on the trailer Friday evening (when my in-law relatives are all over at the house for a BBQ - free labor!), and Saturday morning it goes to the car wash to get the engine compartment and inner fender/tank area blasted clean. I'm not laying another mit on that greasy oily slimy pig until it's clean.
Lawrence
The factory did a clean job... Joe Hack will have used a MIG welder.

What's wrong with a MIG welder? huh.gif

-Rusty cool.gif
Gint
After I got back from the car wash this morning and removed the wheel, it took me all of 5 minutes to pull the tank. Look for a new thread.

IPB Image
Lawrence
Looks pretty good, brother. Congrats. mueba.gif

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.