Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Als914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
A quick update on Al. Wendy let me go to Al's to play, today. I think the chemo has done a number on his head because he is letting me wrench on it. We'll get some things done as time allows. It was a slow start in that I had to go back home and grab a few more tools. Al is converting his 1 owner 914 over to 5 lug. When I arrived, Al was just finishing up the R front wheel hub and here is the finished product. That is Shirlee in the background. We barely got the Hooter Girls out of there before she came back. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

BTW, this is what kept Al from attending the Dawn Patrol run Saturday. He thought he could get this one little thing done in time for a run. And guess what? Murphy got his ass. It's happened to all of us. Anyway, Al hasn't lost all of his mental capabilities. He's doing the front and I'm doing the rear. av-943.gif This is where I left it for today. The right wheel well is an Andy like photo. happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of Al. I took his skinny little butt some homemade strawberry ice cream. Berries just picked from my garden. (BTW Al, I'm missing some shrooms from my garden so let me know if that ice cream is a little dreamy.) I used Heavy Whipping Cream and whole milk 50/50 w/ enough sugar to make rock candy. I cautioned Shirlee that she could possible gain 3-4 pounds just by handling it. happy11.gif Funny thing about the left side. There were no shims. Anyone got a few they could give Al?

Click to view attachment
Thestigz06
good to hear it was the car that was the cause of his absence yesterday and not his health! Based off all i have heard, im eager to meet Al! biggrin.gif
Tom
Kent,
I have never met you, but I would be proud to! You the man!! piratenanner.gif
Tom
Black22
QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 8 2012, 07:14 PM) *

Kent,
I have never met you, but I would be proud to! You the man!! piratenanner.gif
Tom

Both Al and Kent are great guys that I'm proud to have met, because of our 914 addiction.
Get him back on the road Kent! Al, get better would ya!
Als914
God bless Kent for volunteering his time and hard work but for all the time he put in this is all he could get done while I ate the ice cream he brought lol-2.gif . I never heard so many exspletives coming out from under my car. It was a fun day.
Als914
Kent,

Thank you so much for your time today! Your post on The World is way too fun! av-943.gif I can't tell you how much it is appreciated!! Oh -- the ice cream is fantastic! Shirlee
76-914
Your both very welcome and Al deservedly so as he has cast many a favor in this crowd. But if I may divert from this unwarranted attention I would like to point out that I, as others, am just a spoke in the wheel. In March, Cesar Phatt914, Ethan '73-914kid and Dave rebuilt the front end on Al's car. But let's kick it up several levels. Remember "Buttercup"? There were World members traveling across the country to help another in need. Hell, I recently read a thread where Road Glue and others were doing a build for a gentleman with MLS back in '03, I believe. Then you've got the "Slits'" of the crowd that tirelessly give of there skills damn near every weekend. Did I say spoke in the wheel. I misspoke. More like a drop in the bucket!
It is an Honor to serve those in need. And I feel honored just being a part of a group of like minded people, e.g. 914World beerchug.gif
phatnine11
Kent,
Very unselfish of you to give a day to work on someone else's car, but that seems to be common among the folks that belong to this forum. While you are giving praise to people who have helped other members, I feel the need to point out that last March it was Rob (914 Teener) and Ron (Slits) that worked on Al's car.
Keep up the good work,
Cesar (Phatnine14)
914_teener
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Jul 9 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Kent,
Very unselfish of you to give a day to work on someone else's car, but that seems to be common among the folks that belong to this forum. While you are giving praise to people who have helped other members, I feel the need to point out that last March it was Rob (914 Teener) and Ron (Slits) that worked on Al's car.
Keep up the good work,
Cesar (Phatnine14)

Thanks Ceaser.....

I was a pleasure. Car is looking great. Sorry I missed you guys last weekend. Had some family obligations come up last minute. I learned a lot on that front end. It was fun.
silver74insocal
yes i missed out on the last front end party due to family stuff, but i can help get this taken care of. anything you guys need let me know and i will help out.

Kent, were you able to locate the shims and other parts needed? give me a call and we can get everything needed. i can help out this weekend as well beerchug.gif glad to see the pics of Al smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jul 9 2012, 09:39 PM) *

yes i missed out on the last front end party due to family stuff, but i can help get this taken care of. anything you guys need let me know and i will help out.

Kent, were you able to locate the shims and other parts needed? give me a call and we can get everything needed. i can help out this weekend as well beerchug.gif glad to see the pics of Al smile.gif

Dave, Thx for the offer. I told Al that I would do it in my free time (being self employed) so I may be able to finish on a weekday. If it looks like this weekend again I will pm you. There are "many" items to address. And yes, we need some spacers. Al said they never could get it aligned correctly. Now we know why, lol-2.gif .
'73-914kid
Well, today was another successful day working on Al's car. I t was a great day, and I'd say we got a lot accomplished. We're so close to getting the car back on all 4 wheels again.
First thing's first, new trailing arms were mounted, and the CV's were cleaned up, and regreased. Everything went together great until we realized that the caliper bolts on the drive side were severely gauled.. other than that, it all went together great. We also placed the new fuchs with tires a little too wide to fit under Al's stock fendered car.. I think a few sizes smaller will take care of the fender clearance issue.

We also decided it might be worth it to swap out one of my front Cookie cutters for the rear fuchs wheel, to get an idea of fender clearance. I took the time to see what my car would look like with fuchs... Man, I want them.. haha

Special thanks to Bruce Stone for the awesome looking trailing arm/hub assemblies. Your work is always perfect. And also a thanks to Eric Shea for the camber shims. Al's car now has somewhat consistent camber side to side...
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
76-914
Ethan showed up this morning to help (read 90% of the work) me place Al's car back on the ground. Thanks a million Ethan. I'm just a 61 yr old with nothing better to do anyway. But your not even 20 yet and I KNOW that you have more important things to do. I did at that age. Your a better man than me. beerchug.gif And thanks to everyone else that donated their time. No pic's today. We were scrambling to beat the desert heat. The new tires rub in the rear so I'll either roll his fenders or swap out his tires or swap wheels/tires w/ Ethan.
Shirlee made us pizza when we finished. As we were leaving she began to thank us and we told here how this stuff goes on in the teener community on a regular basis. We went on to tell her some stories such as "Butter Cup". She was floored when we told of how guys had traveled cross country for this project. I wonder if our temperamental cars have created this group who are so thankful for the help they've received with their 914 that they gladly help others when the opportunity presents itself? idea.gif
Keep Al and Shirlee in your prayers. hands.gif
'73-914kid
Thanks for letting me know you were heading up there to work on Al's car Kent. You know he'd do the same for us if the situation arose. I honestly cant think of anything else i would have rather done than be out there working on Al's 914. Al's car looks much better down on all 4 wheels again, and it sure does look sharp with those fuchs, however after doing some math in regards to offset and tire width, I just don't see those rears fitting.. 16x8 on a stock fendered car without some serious fender PULLING is asking a lot out of that small little gap in the back.

Kent and I also managed to get the brakes bled, and now the car seems to stop pretty well (well, there's a hard brake pedal at least.) although the rear fender rubbing prevented us from driving the car around the block.

All in all it was a good morning/afternoon, and I do believe we beat the heat beerchug.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Kent:

Cast your bread on the waters, and you recieve it back ten fold !

I do my thing with the Developmently Disabled , so i know from where I speak.

Things seem to just happen ! And some think there isn't a plan working by

someone. Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.