Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery flipped out...Fire .Recovered now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
LAst event at Road Atlanta came out of turn 5 and lost all power. Coasted to stop awating flat tow. Smelled something odd. Turned and saw smoke then fire. Optima flipped and shorted causing fire. Minor damage ( really) but just got it back together ...Decided those stainless fuel ines werent doing much good on the shelf and fire extingisher didnt last very long. Installed Rennshift while down ..Now thats the ticket ..Thanks Sergio !
Almost ready for next weekend ( new Atlanta track) but discovered corded tire....KACHING !

BAttery had been bolted the same way for two years without issue. Any pics of mounting would be appreciated.
driving.gif
Tom
Here is how mine is held down.
Tom
Tom
Second try!
Elliot Cannon
Mines actually in the front trunk and ummm, held down pretty well. laugh.gif
sixaddict
Elliot ....You could crash and yours wouldnt budge.
Tom : Is that piece that comes from Optima
I had home made pice that didnt hold it against inner fender ...
Like the simplicity of that.
Thanks

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 8 2012, 10:06 PM) *

Mines actually in the front trunk and ummm, held down pretty well. laugh.gif

Tom
sixaddict,
Yes, that came with the battery.
Tom
Chris H.
It's been a while but when I got my Optima it didn't come with that piece. Back then if you called Optima they would send you one free of charge.
GeorgeRud
I think the problem is that the Optima's base may not have enough of a lip to be properly held by the back lip of the battery tray.

The bracket supplied with the battery may not hold it back far enough to reliably catch that back lip.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 9 2012, 06:08 AM) *

I think the problem is that the Optima's base may not have enough of a lip to be properly held by the back lip of the battery tray.

The bracket supplied with the battery may not hold it back far enough to reliably catch that back lip.

thank you thank you thank you for posting this. sure enough just got back from a d e and looked at mine and it was loose. very hard to tell at a glance but it was sitting on top of the bracket! super lucky it didn't tip out and start a fire.... fuel lines and throttle bodies located right next to the battery. thanks again now I've got to figure a better way to hold it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.