Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Danbury CT area FI expertise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
claudeb
The short: Newbie based in Southbury CT seems to be having FI probs with 72 1.7, seeking a Guru for a friendly housecall, or a referral to a local mechanic.

The longer: About 2 years ago the bug bit and I had to have the 914 I'd been dreaming of since I was 12. The wife clipped my wings to 4K which didn't prevent me from crossing my fingers and leaping. My hope was something that I could drive and enjoy as I restored.

The good: Clean square and 98% complete
No structural rust, just one spot on pan behind passenger seat.
Ran well when I got it other than high warm idle.

The bad: Mainly that I don't live near the car. It lives at my parents and I can only get to it on occasional weekends.

Last fall I painted myself into a corner trying to change the PO's incorrect engine mount bar and towed it 50 miles to Racer Chris. Chris took care of the engine bar - and we ended up swapping transmissions too. He also took care of the pan rust and high idle (replaced AAR).

Had a glorious drive home, other than the generator light which Chris assured me was a false positive (negative?).

A few weeks later, the car wouldn't start. It would catch and immediately die. I replaced what seemed to be a crimped AAR hose and messed with idle/throttle settings. With mindless pumping of the accelerator I was able to get it to run a bit and even took it for a drive, but as it warmed up it started missing and eventually died, not to be restarted again.

I dug into the FI literature, but way too many variables for this newbie.

Hoping I don't have to do a long distance tow again (a short one would be OK).

Many Thanks in advance -

Claude B

Pix: http://cead.pair.com/users/claudeb/pix/914site/Photos.html#0
TheCabinetmaker
Mindless pumping of the throttle should have resulted in a never start situation. Pumping the accelerator on a djet while cranking will flood it. Start with the basics. Does the fuel pump run for a half second when the ket is turned to the on (not crank) position? Does it have good spark? Does it have good fuel pressure? Go to Brad Anders djet site and read everything. Buy a good multimeter and perform the checks listed there.
Kraftwerk
Cut to the chase: Take it back to Chris? Or it could just be old fuel in the tank if its been sitting awhile.
rwilner
I think it's very unlikely you're going to find anyone closer than Chris who knows how to fix your 40 year old FI system. Rent a truck or borrow a buddy's rig and tow it to him, he and Ed can make it right.
r_towle
I agree, Ed will make it purr.
Bring it to Foley.
rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.