Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's in the rain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
My story: Well I'm technically not a 914 owner yet.. I'll be 16 in 6 months, and my parents secretly bought me a '73- 1.7 this past summer. I'm real excited. Well basically my dad is a 51 year old kid <_< . He got real excited and couldn't hold a secret and told me about my special Christmas present. Thanks dad... rolleyes.gif I feel so guilty for knowing sad.gif
Anyways- So they have the car stashed at a friends house. Here in California it's been starting to rain, and I'm wondering how much of a problem is rain to a 914? I hear they rust easily and aren't exactly waterproof. Should I suggest to my dad to cover it with tarp or what?
McMark
IMHO, the car is as it is. One more season isn't going to make or break it. I would suggest removing the battery or getting a sealed battery if it's in the rain.
skline
Well, actually, they dont rust any differently than any other car. They are all around 30 years old and there was a few engineering faults about these cars and they tend to rust in those fault areas. If it was already rusted there (and it probably was) then this rain wont make that much difference. Fixing it wont be any different for your winter project than it would be if it was in a garage right now.
dinomium
Welcom to the club, Hammy! I have a freind who named his kid Beckahm, I call him hammy!
Tarp is BAD for 914s or anything else that you want to look and smell nice again some day. Spring for a wearther rated car cover, or at the very least get a cheap o cover from COstco and some Dries Z aire from Home Depot. You should also critter proof the car. Mice just love to nest in them!
Glad to have the yewtz on the board to counter act some of us old grouchy types!
dlo914
been thinking about getting a tarp for my teener wub.gif ...found out tonight that my weather stripping on the driver side door isnt working quite well...found a puddle of water on the floorboard mad.gif....damn i hate ar15.gif rain, but i like the cool weather...
GWN7
If it isn't rusted now 6 months more won't hurt it.

As Mark said, sealed battery.

A cover if it's breathable is ok. Think of those as a tent that trap water inside if they are not breathable. The wrong tarp will do more damage than leaving it outside.
dlo914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 20 2004, 10:00 PM)
If it isn't rusted now 6 months more won't hurt it.

As Mark said, sealed battery.

A cover if it's breathable is ok. Think of those as a tent that trap water inside if they are not breathable. The wrong tarp will do more damage than leaving it outside.

good tip...should the tarp be waterproof? cuz that's an extra $40 <_<
scotty914
3 things you must take to heart :

one do it right no half a$$ing anything

two take your time on what to tackle next, but work on the stuff that will keep you safe and running first looks second

third say goodbye to your best years, GF's, money, and sanity.... but then one trip around the block will remind you WHY !!! driving.gif

scott

and welcome to 914 hell
dlo914
agree.gif man that first time around the block was a BLAST driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Hammy
Lol. Thanks for the replies , that was quick. blink.gif

So a car cover is best?
dan10101
agree.gif

What he said...

Also, Humor the old guys. They know more than you think even if they know nothing about cars. Plus, we're (I mean, they're) just big kids that want to play too.

Enjoy the ride...

I'll also agree. don't worry about the car. It won't get any worse sitting there that didn't happen in the last 30 years.

DUH!!!
Your from Motown!

You and Andrew will have to get together. He's Andyrew on these boards. We just put a v8 in his teener.

We live up near Beyer HS. Send us a shout!

And Welcome!
Andyrew
Hmmm.

Hammie, do I know you? Hmmm

Seriously, I'll give you a ride you'll never forget, lol..

one other 914 in modesto on this club, and a couple more are very close...

Andrew
skline
I think I would be more worried about the top leaking and the water mildewing the carpet and rusting the front floorboard and pedal cluster. Make sure the front floor is dry and if you put a cover on it, crack both front windows about an inch so the inside can breathe.
Hammy
From Motown too ohmy.gif
I live out by Davis high.
Andyrew
Not that far.

Where is the car? Did your dad tell you anything about the car? like its condition or such?

It could be a gem, or it could be something not worth fixing....

waterproof car cover, or a big tarp. If tarp, use bungie cords. If cover, use bungie cords.. lol With the wind it could blow away, or come slightly off... I've had it happen.

PS, You got AIM?
dlo914
where is modesto? blink.gif
skline
Word of warning about tarps and bungie cords and wind, it will take the paint off the corners of the car. You want to be sure it is soft cloth on the underside. Ask me how I know.
dlo914
scratch that reply...up north northeast of san jose...(ran a search on google) rolleyes.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 20 2004, 10:42 PM)
Word of warning about tarps and bungie cords and wind, it will take the paint off the corners of the car. You want to be sure it is soft cloth on the underside. Ask me how I know.

how do you know? <_<
Hammy
I don't know the condition of the car. I can't see it until Christmas anyways.

Thanks for your replies everyone...

My AIM is: Ticklemyham wink.gif
Andyrew
Scott.. This is depending on cars condition...

If its like mine where paint is in need of a redo.. then who cares about scratching it... Protect the car from water. If it is nice paint, then its possible that it has good seals and is in good enough condition to be able to not be effected by this rain...

But currently we dont know anything about its condition.
skline
This is true. I would still not want to cover it with something that will take the paint off in wind. The covers that are made for cars dont do it but I know that a tarp would.
Andyrew
Currently I dont think its going to rain much more in modesto for another week..

When are you getting the car?
skline
I think he said Christmas. Cool gift idea!!!
Andyrew
Hammy, feel free to shoot me an AIM..

Im Andymustangpny16
IronHillRestorations
Look at my avitar! It's the solution for leaking 914's. PM me for more info.
mikerose
Get one of these. I use mine everyday.
scruz914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 20 2004, 11:47 PM)
I don't know the condition of the car. I can't see it until Christmas anyways.

This is going to be like a Christmas present for all of us. What does Hammy's car look like? Won't know until the 25th of December!

I also agree with Dan, humor the old guys. We (I am only a 50 year old big kid) big kids want to play too. Any dad that gets his kid a 914 for Christmas AND can't wait to tell him sounds pretty cool.

-Jeff
SLITS
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 20 2004, 11:44 PM)
scratch that reply...up north northeast of san jose...(ran a search on google) rolleyes.gif

And greatly to the right.................................
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 20 2004, 11:47 PM)
My AIM is: Ticklemyham wink.gif

ha ha (in my best simpson voice ...)

welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
qa1142
hey Skline

Shy are you blowing kisses to a 15 year old boy? wub.gif

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.