Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 dipsticks who needs them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
I had a member ask about making these. Aparently they break. I'm looking at doing up a batch of these if there is some level of interest. My guess is $25-$35. really depends on how many are needed. I don't see this being a high volume part, but if there is enough demand pricing can improve.

let me know if you want one.
Jasfsmith
I'm in for one.
Mountain914
Absolutely ! beerchug.gif

Let me also add that if you have the factory unit, like above, yours *will* break over time.
The reproduction units offered by others don't look anything like these, they have a square-bent handle and a straight stick.
smj
Sigh... that looks nothing like the dipstick that came with my -6. Yet another PO improvement, I guess. dry.gif

If I've got the cash, I'll buy one. Just been spending a lot on the car, and now have to plan for replacing the halfshafts... (Money for WAS top is set aside.)
9146BRUCE
Hi I will take one
Scott S
I am in for sure.

Thanks!
jfort
I'm in for one. If I don't, my OEM one is sure to break
Eric_Shea
In
djm914-6
Where do I send the money? Need one yesterday.
seanery
I'm in. Like the console, take my money before something else comes along!! w00t2.gif w00t1.gif w00t2.gif
Mr.242
+1 more....
mharmon
I'm in for 2
brant
Mark,

I'm going to want one sir.
brant
Brian_Boss
I will take one
SLITS
I'll take 2
rudedude
I could use a spare. never know when its going to be needed.
laflaur
One for me
Mikey914
Well,
There is enough interest to do these. So, I'm proceeding. I'll have the costs and time line on these figured out in the next few days.
dem
I'm interested. Are they improved in some way (stainless, don't break in half, etc.)?

Thanks Mark.
rroossreno
Add me to the list. Mine just broke.
Elliot Cannon
I'm a little curious. At the risk of sounding like one, how the hell do you break a dipstick? idea.gif huh.gif happy11.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 12 2012, 07:19 PM) *

I'm a little curious. At the risk of sounding like one, how the hell do you break a dipstick? idea.gif huh.gif happy11.gif

I thik the pictures for this should be in the sanbox somewhere! biggrin.gif
Rusty
I'm in. Mine appears to have been brazed together at some point.

BTW, someone once told me a story of pulling an oil tank only to find three dipsticks inside. I guess the PO couldn't find the little hole to put it in. happy11.gif
Scott S
I hate it when that happens........

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
patrick3000
Two please
Mikey914
Sould have pricing and time frame solidified on Friday.
-mark
scotty b
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 12 2012, 06:19 PM) *

agree.gif do they break as a result of improper use, or is there a " weak point ? I've seen a few with suface rust but never a brokwn one. May be the stainless suggestion is the way to go. confused24.gif

Gint
Mine is broken. I'll take one please.
Mountain914
icon_bump.gif

popcorn[1].gif
porbmw
Hi Mark
May as well add me to the list dry.gif
Please just throw it in the pile of other parts that I think are lurking about.
Thanks
Paul
Gary
I'm in for 1. Thnx.
map
I'll take one please.

Pieper
db9146
I'll take one, please.

racerx9146
One please
Thx
rroossreno
What's the status on those 914-6 dipstick manufacturing. I need one.
Maltese Falcon
I'll take 2 por favor
Marty
Mikey914
These are still in the works. The method of manufacture is more complicated than just cutting strips and forming these. I've had to source material that was not off the shelf and do some additional fabrication to just get the blanks. These will also have to be heat treated. If I'm going to make these, I'm going to do them right. It is however taking more time to go through the process than planned.

I'm making these as close to OEM as possible, as they are for a 6 I think it will be more apealing to be as close to OEM as possible. I hopefully have located a material that the alloy will hold up a little better.
Qarl
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 26 2012, 08:00 PM) *

These are still in the works. The method of manufacture is more complicated than just cutting strips and forming these. I've had to source material that was not off the shelf and do some additional fabrication to just get the blanks. These will also have to be heat treated. If I'm going to make these, I'm going to do them right. It is however taking more time to go through the process than planned.

I'm making these as close to OEM as possible, as they are for a 6 I think it will be more apealing to be as close to OEM as possible. I hopefully have located a material that the alloy will hold up a little better.

Were these ever done?
SLITS
Two years ago ... I was never notified that the two I wanted were ready for shipment.
Qarl
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 25 2014, 04:20 PM) *

Two years ago ... I was never notified that the two I wanted were ready for shipment.

Didn't look like it ever came to fruition... was just seeing if he ever made them.

Q
Mikey914
Funny,
I have them cut, just haven't formed them. Dooh. I located the proper alloy spring steel with the correct thickness. Even got as far as notching the ends.

I'll get back on these. I literally lost track of everything I was doing at one time. I now have a production journal to keep all the balls in the air.
rick 918-S
Didn't have a 6 when this thread was started. +1
Qarl
Will take one
Mikey914
I'm sure the count will change so I'm not expecting anyone that was on the original thread to still be committed, but I'm sure there will be a few.

Thanks all
bcheney
I will take one Mark! The on I have been using is short as it was from a 911.
Thanks
Mikey914
Spent a little time playing around to get these laid out look like these will work out nicely.

I do need to know where the marks are for the Min and full. I picture of the mark would be nice.
Thanks,
Mark
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 28 2014, 02:41 AM) *

I do need to know where the marks are for the Min and full. I picture of the mark would be nice.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark- best I could do. This is the dip stick out of my 1970 6. It's from a stock 1970 tank. Note: 1st bend is in the opposite direction of the next 3, unlike your prototype. There is no max/min line, only 1 line w/ a dimple in the middle of it @ 3 & 19/32", or 9.05cm, from the bottom of the stick. Used a 2 sided desk ruler for U.S. spec & Metric references.
Johny Blackstain
3 more shots:
Jasfsmith
Does this mean I can replace my wooden dip stick in the near future?
bandjoey
Picture in a -6 owners manual should help show min max too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.