Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a carb guru
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am getting to the end of my rope with these carbs, and may have finally come to the realization that I need some help in getting this car to run better.

Anyone have a recommendation for a carb tuner on the west side/southbay area of Los Angeles?

Engine is a 1.7 with a carb cam (unknown specs, but not stock), with 40 idfs and a SVDA dizzy. Exhaust is stock with a sebring muffler.

At wide open throttle, she pulls really well; part throttle and tip in is bad.

I would like to drive the car sometime this summer, but at this pace, it will be next year before I can get it sorted.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 10 2012, 07:37 AM) *

I am getting to the end of my rope with these carbs, and may have finally come to the realization that I need some help in getting this car to run better.

Anyone have a recommendation for a carb tuner on the west side/southbay area of Los Angeles?

Engine is a 1.7 with a carb cam (unknown specs, but not stock), with 40 idfs and a SVDA dizzy. Exhaust is stock with a sebring muffler.

At wide open throttle, she pulls really well; part throttle and tip in is bad.

I would like to drive the car sometime this summer, but at this pace, it will be next year before I can get it sorted.

Thanks in advance.

Ottos in Venice. He knows 914's and is very good with carbs.
monkeyboy
I would recommend an air\fuel meter as well. It helps to watch and see if you are rich or lean at any time. Takes the guesswork out.

40's are a bit big for a 1.7. They are going to take some tuning.
SLITS
Joe, you might want to check the venturi size. More than likely they are 32 mm. Going to a 28 mm would give you more "signal" at low and mid range RPM but would restrict the upper end flow.

I don't know anything about carbs so ignore this post.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 10 2012, 09:45 AM) *

Joe, you might want to check the venturi size. More than likely they are 32 mm. Going to a 28 mm would give you more "signal" at low and mid range RPM but would restrict the upper end flow.

I don't know anything about carbs so ignore this post.

Especially these carbs! happy11.gif

Anyways, I believe that they are 28 vents. I have it written down at home. I will, of course, double check that too.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 10 2012, 07:45 AM) *

Ottos in Venice. He knows 914's and is very good with carbs.

I know he does. I was thinking he's the last of last resorts, as it will likely cost me a bunch.
yeahmag
Don't know IDF's anymore - always been a Dellorto guy, but I'd be happy to try and help. Couple of questions:

* What distributor are you using?
* Initial and full timing?
* Idle jet size?
* How many turns out on the idle volume screw?
* Fuel pressure?

-Aaron
Borderline
I have found that balancing the carbs is about the most important thing you can do. I balance the flow (left/right) twice. the first time, as usual, at idle. The second time is to balance the linkage. I adjust the throttle cable to get the engine running at 1500 - 2000 rpm. Then I check the flow (left/right) again. I then adjust the linkage arms to balance the flow. So many people adjust the flow at idle with the linkage disconnected then re-connect the linkage and go. You spend about 90% of the time at partial throttle and it's very important to have the linkage adjusted properly. FWIW biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.