Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stewteral
Hi All,

HELP: I got around to pulling the 17mm brake master from my 1973 restoration car and just ASSUMED I could rebuild it with a new kit.

YIKES, NO kits are made anymore for either 17mm or 19mm cylinders. AutoAtlanta's site they are gone and Pelican Parts could only recommend buying the cheaper NEW 19mm cylinder and $247.

Has anyone come up with a Cross-Ref for these ATE cylinders?

Thanks,
Terry
ThePaintedMan
I've thought about this for awhile. Surely there could be a way to rebuild these things. I have yet to crack one open, but I assume its essentially a plunger and a series of o-rings and seals. However, if it could be done, I'm sure Eric Shea or someone like Mikey914 would have done it by now.
McMark
Except for the HUGE liability. wink.gif I'm not surprised they're not available anymore.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 10 2012, 03:13 PM) *

Except for the HUGE liability. wink.gif I'm not surprised they're not available anymore.

Didn't think about that. But Eric rebuilds calipers and just about everything else related?
pcar916
Guess I should look around for a kit for my 23mm as well. I know for the 911 turbo MC (it's marked as a 23mm too) I could only find entire plunger assemblies complete with new rubber and springs, and that was about 6-7 years ago.

Dang!
SirAndy
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jul 10 2012, 12:56 PM) *

If that image is correct, then it looks nothing like a 914 or 911 MC ...
popcorn[1].gif

stewteral

Hey Gothspeed,

Great Find!

Have you installed this cyl. into a 914? My concern is all the little things like fitting the mounting bolt pattern and having the same spacing so the brake pedal sits in the right position.

If that works, then I'll go this route. The God-awful dual piston Mstr cylinders are only to make Ralph Nader happy, believing that if 1 end of the car failed, the driver would still have 2 wheels left...NONSENSE! If the front brakes fail, we are ALL SCREWED in a 914!

Also, the brake proportioning valve will continue to "assist" in rear wheel lock up as with the original system, even though I hate the spongie pedal.

Since I've driven on-track for decades with no "back-up" system, I'm not going to worry about the silly & complex dual cylinder used in the 914s.

YOU GOT BRAKES, OR YOU DON'T!

Thanks for the great idea!!

Terry
biggy72
Everybody freaks out about rebuilding calipers and the "huge liability"..... Yep Eric rebuilds calipers, and other places sell rebuild kits for calipers. I couldn't find a rebuild kit so I bought one of those "terrible" cheap 19mm master cylinders for under a hundred bucks. I had to swap out the brake sensor on it, but other than that it's plug and play. Every thing has been working well for over 1000 miles and a few months of driving.
gothspeed
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 10 2012, 08:21 PM) *

Hey Gothspeed,

Great Find!

Have you installed this cyl. into a 914? My concern is all the little things like fitting the mounting bolt pattern and having the same spacing so the brake pedal sits in the right position.

If that works, then I'll go this route. The God-awful dual piston Mstr cylinders are only to make Ralph Nader happy, believing that if 1 end of the car failed, the driver would still have 2 wheels left...NONSENSE! If the front brakes fail, we are ALL SCREWED in a 914!

Also, the brake proportioning valve will continue to "assist" in rear wheel lock up as with the original system, even though I hate the spongie pedal.

Since I've driven on-track for decades with no "back-up" system, I'm not going to worry about the silly & complex dual cylinder used in the 914s.

YOU GOT BRAKES, OR YOU DON'T!

Thanks for the great idea!!

Terry
I bought my 19mm a while back and it fit perfectly, however I do not recall if I got it from Rock or elsewhere ........ but the new $100 914 masters are out there (just make sure you order a '914 master' to get the fitment right)! Here are a few on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-s-cheapest-P...c97&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Porsch...master+cylinder

and more for even less $

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...280&bih=811
andys
"The God-awful dual piston Mstr cylinders are only to make Ralph Nader happy, believing that if 1 end of the car failed, the driver would still have 2 wheels left...NONSENSE! If the front brakes fail, we are ALL SCREWED in a 914!"

Terry, Some braking is better than NO braking. I've had two masters fail the front circuit in a couple of cars I've owned over the years; so I'm thankful that Ralph was made happy!

Andys
JimN73
Eckler, use to be Automotion has OEM and after marketmaster cylinders for 914s. $279 and $94.95 respectively.

They don't tell us what the piston sizes are, but the part number for the 914 is different than the 911 part number. also have repair kits for 19mm

http://www.automotion.com/brake-master-cyl...or-porsche.html
stewteral
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 11 2012, 08:59 AM) *

"The God-awful dual piston Mstr cylinders are only to make Ralph Nader happy, believing that if 1 end of the car failed, the driver would still have 2 wheels left...NONSENSE! If the front brakes fail, we are ALL SCREWED in a 914!"

Terry, Some braking is better than NO braking. I've had two masters fail the front circuit in a couple of cars I've owned over the years; so I'm thankful that Ralph was made happy!

Andys

Hey Andy,

LOL: You were there at Big Willow when I had too much rear brake bias and spun off T-3 like a top!! So I stand with opinion that if we lose front brakes, we're Screwed! IMHO....of course.

Terry
stewteral
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 10 2012, 11:44 AM) *

Hi All,

HELP: I got around to pulling the 17mm brake master from my 1973 restoration car and just ASSUMED I could rebuild it with a new kit.

YIKES, NO kits are made anymore for either 17mm or 19mm cylinders. AutoAtlanta's site they are gone and Pelican Parts could only recommend buying the cheaper NEW 19mm cylinder and $247.

Thanks,
Terry

HEY ALL 914ers:

Thanks for all your responses! I did some web-searching & think I've found a really great solution:

A 19mm Master Cylinder from URO Parts (A.P.A. Industries) & is a complete copy of the 911 dual cyl w/ pressure switch for $65.97. It is appears to be a plug&play replacement.

I found 2 sources at the same price and J.C.Whitney cross-ref'd the part to the Porsche 911 355 012 02A cyl.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=1698...2603+11921+9182

http://www.jcwhitney.com/1970-1972-porsche...970-1972j1.jcwx

Given that the liability issue has killed rebuild kits, I'm thinking this is the best deal out there......Whaddya' think?

Terry

mepstein
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 11 2012, 02:08 PM) *

Hi All,

Thanks,
Terry

HEY ALL 914ers:

Thanks for all your responses! I did some web-searching & think I've found a really great solution:

A 19mm Master Cylinder from URO Parts (A.P.A. Industries) & is a complete copy of the 911 dual cyl w/ pressure switch for $65.97. It is appears to be a plug&play replacement.

I found 2 sources at the same price and J.C.Whitney cross-ref'd the part to the Porsche 911 355 012 02A cyl.

Given that the liability issue has killed rebuild kits, I'm thinking this is the best deal out there......Whaddya' think?

Terry

The URO have a reputation for going bad after a short time. I just replaced my master. Its a PITA job so I bought an ATE in the hopes I won't have to do it again for a long time.
stewteral
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 11 2012, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 11 2012, 02:08 PM) *

Hi All,

Thanks,
Terry

HEY ALL 914ers:

Terry

The URO have a reputation for going bad after a short time. I just replaced my master. Its a PITA job so I bought an ATE in the hopes I won't have to do it again for a long time.

OUCH! Thanks, good to know the Truth before being BIT! I figured that the parts were Chinese, but how hard is it to machine a straight bore?

Terry
Cap'n Krusty
Buy and use one if you like, just don't EVER drive anywhere near where I'm driving ...............................

The Cap'n
pcdarks
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 10 2012, 01:13 PM) *

By your thinking you shouldn't be working on a car let alone reading this forum. Think of the liability!!!
mepstein
9 year old thread. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.