Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New OEM ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
I was surprised by the price. Pt # 111-905-865K , $61.37. Seems a lot high to me. Am I missing a lower price elsewhere for an OEM switch? Mine is not bad, but I would like a new one for the future.
Tom
benalishhero
Maybe try a rabbit switch. You just have to grind the little nub off. It maybe cheaper?? confused24.gif I had an NOS hanging around.......
anderssj
Picked up a couple for my '72 from Pelican Parts a while back--installed one about 2 weeks ago. Works well, at much less than dealer $. Good instructions on their tech page site too!

Hope this helps.

Steve A-
Tom
Pelican has 3 listed, all at different prices. The OEM one is $41.50.
Which one did you use?
Tom
Cap'n Krusty
Since even the "OE" switches are made in China now, there's really no advantage to buying the expensive one.

The Cap'n
Tom
Does anyone have pics of the original equipment ones and the new ones? Any way to visually tell which one is better?
Bus depot has one made by Continental in Germany, price $8.05.

Cap'n,
Are you sure all of the switches are made in China these days? If so, Porsche is really scamming us by charging $61.37 for a 10 dollar switch! Wow, that concerns me.
Thanks,
Tom
OU8AVW
Karmann Ghias have the same set up. Pins may be different but the housing is the same.
jcd914
At the 3 Porsche dealerships I worked for, at least half of the "OE" parts they sold were just aftermarket parts sold thur the dealer parts department at OE pricing. They would typically warrantee them as if they were OE but they could afford to considering the profit they were making.
I did a brake job on a 928 were the customer was unwilling to pay the price of "OE" part, so they offered him "Aftermarket" parts at a discount but no warrant on the parts. The parts I installed were the same parts that had been sitting on the counter as "OE" parts.

Jim
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 12 2012, 11:33 AM) *

At the 3 Porsche dealerships I worked for, at least half of the "OE" parts they sold were just aftermarket parts sold thur the dealer parts department at OE pricing. They would typically warrantee them as if they were OE but they could afford to considering the profit they were making.
I did a brake job on a 928 were the customer was unwilling to pay the price of "OE" part, so they offered him "Aftermarket" parts at a discount but no warrant on the parts. The parts I installed were the same parts that had been sitting on the counter as "OE" parts.

Jim

So much bull stromberg.gif I worked at Autozone and can tell you for a fact, the only difference between lowest grade parts and the 'gold' parts (on batteries brakes, etc) is the length of the warranty.

Not surprised dealerships pull the same thing. TC told me a lot of the horror stories of dealerships as well. A couple months ago I thought I might be interested in becoming a dealer mechanic too... not so much now.
Tom
Well, to say the least, I'm somewhat surprised. I thought these dealerships were above that. Guess not. blink.gif
Tom
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 11 2012, 10:39 AM) *

Since even the "OE" switches are made in China now, there's really no advantage to buying the expensive one.

The Cap'n

They all suck, and they all break.

Many of the VW's use the same electrical switch.

rich
anderssj
Tom,

I think I bought 2 of these:

111-905-865K-M61 Ignition Switch, Electrical Portion, 914 1.7/2.0 (1972-74), Each , Brand: Meistersatz

I'll see if I can find the packing slip and confirm this.

IIRC, not much choice in the matter--they were the only part listed for my '72. I bought two in case one was stromberg.gif or failed "prematurely."

The old one wasn't cracked that I could see, but I was getting intermitent no start unless I jiggled the key in the start position. BTW, the old one was not original to the car--but I don't know if it was "OEM" or not--there was no mfr name or PN stamped on it.

Best,

Steve A-
euro911
I remember when the switch went out on my '68 bug ... I just installed a toggle switch and momentary pussbutton under the dash and was on my merry way biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.