Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type of puller to free rear brake disc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Got my rear calipers free finally by releasing the rear shock struck and dropping down the swing arm. This gave me more room and allowed me to get more leverage.

Solved that problem

Next the rear disc, got one screw out , the other I had to drill off the head, now I am looking for a puller. I can't seem to budge it with traditional methods.
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jul 11 2012, 08:51 AM) *

Got my rear calipers free finally by releasing the rear shock struck and dropping down the swing arm. This gave me more room and allowed me to get more leverage.

Solved that problem

Next the rear disc, got one screw out , the other I had to drill off the head, now I am looking for a puller. I can't seem to budge it with traditional methods.

The disc is a close fit onto the hub, and rust will make them stick together.
There should be two threaded holes in the disc which can be used for popping the disc off the hub using two 8mm bolts.
You can use a torch to heat the hat portion of the disc and expand it so it comes off the hub more easily.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2012, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jul 11 2012, 08:51 AM) *

Solved that problem

The disc is a close fit onto the hub, and rust will make them stick together.
There should be two threaded holes in the disc which can be used for popping the disc off the hub using two 8mm bolts.
You can use a torch to heat the hat portion of the disc and expand it so it comes off the hub more easily.

Thanks Chris, but since I now only have one threaded hole, I am guessing it will bind. I will try again tonight.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jul 11 2012, 11:04 AM) *

Thanks Chris, but since I now only have one threaded hole, I am guessing it will bind. I will try again tonight.

I wasn't referring to the holes for the flathead screws.
There are two other holes in the rotor for jacking screws.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2012, 12:53 PM) *

That is great news..... I read the manual about using the 8m bolts and it didn't make sense to me.. I thought the threads were in the hub, not the disc.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2012, 12:53 PM) *

Got it, worked slick. Thanks Chris.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.