Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I'm to the point in my build where I'm going to start thinking about a steering wheel. I'll probably pick one of the Momo offerings, but I'm curious what diameter you guys are using? I have an old 300mm Racemark now, and everything about it is wrong except for knee clearance. Steering effort is high, but that's my fault for running wide tires - it's a V8 conversion. Otherwise it obstructs both my custom quad gauge and the speedo (right in the 40-60MPH range). I know it's kind of an inherent 914 problem anyway.

The two most common sizes seem to be 330mm, and 350mm (more choices in the latter of those two). I may either add a spacer to the existing adapter, or perhaps add a quick release to move the wheel back to get better placement to clear the knees.

The Momo "Prototypo" seems to be the go-to, though I also like the "Competition." So what do you guys think? Size matters......

Andy
underthetire
Don't know what mine is, but i'm guessing the 350mm. I did make and adapter to push the steering wheel 3" closer to me, and it helped a bunch.
Mike Bellis
10" so you can drive with handcuffs... bandit.gif

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
I'm running a 911 wheel mated to a quick release, mated to a momo hub...

With this wheel, I can see all my gauges and the steering effort is easier with 225/50/16's in front.

Click to view attachment
pete000
At 6'3 I have to use a 350mm dia in order to get into 1st gear. the wider wheel traps my leg.
PanelBilly
So what size is the stock wheel?
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 11 2012, 07:04 PM) *

So what size is the stock wheel?

380mm
Madswede
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 11 2012, 04:49 PM) *

At 6'3 I have to use a 350mm dia in order to get into 1st gear. the wider wheel traps my leg.

I'm the same height and often have the same problem, especially with the stock wheel, but usually it's with R and not so much 1st. In my old semi-stock setup, somehow 1st always fell below the knee of my leg and was very comfortably out of the way, not that I went cruising around in 1st a lot. It was somewhat strange to actually reach under my leg to get into and out of 1st though. R was my problem, especially with my friend LizO's car! Coming back from RRC last year, I couldn't get it in R for a full minute, even with a small Momo! To be fair, the car has a pretty loose linkage and it needed constant throttle attention while at altitude and a bad AAR valve, so I couldn't really move my leg much while dancing on the throttle pedal like Fred Astaire the whole time. dry.gif

I have a Momo Champion 350mm and I don't remember having any problems (it's been some years since my 914 was operable). I also am going to be running an upgraded shifter (Rennshift!).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.