Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine oil has leaked out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
There is a 914-6? for sale on Ebay. At least that is what they said. Only one picture and the car is dirty. You would think they would show it better. Engine oil has leaked out. That doesn't sound good?! Already has some bids. The engine is a 73 2.4. So it is not a real 914-6?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...em=160842031842
mepstein
It's the vin that determines if it's a real 914-6, not the engine. Sometimes the gold is under the dirt. Maybe not on this one but you never know.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 11 2012, 07:06 PM) *
So it is not a real 914-6.

Au contraire ... This is the real deal!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...yVIN=9140431245

popcorn[1].gif
GeorgeRud
Don't you wonder why he wouldn't even bother to wash it before putting it up for auction?

The VIN sounds correct, but it would really need a PPI to make a bid.
Mike Bellis
He might have checked the oil with the engine off. Dry sump=dry dip stick...
Thestigz06
drooley.gif
Cairo94507
That one terrible pictures sure puts the car in a good light though. The price is not out of line if it is a running six with all the parts there..... I'm just saying.
JawjaPorsche
"Au contraire!" I like that word! I stand corrected! Does having a 73 2.4 engine in the 914-6 diminish its value? I am not offering an opinion because I will probably be wrong!
carr914
Diminish the Value? Won't be worth as much as one with Matching Numbers, but there are a Lot of 914-6s with the wrong motor.
Mark Henry
I can't understand why he would sell it with one real crappy pic or why anyone would bid on it without the minimum of some more pics.
mepstein
I think the shill bidding is worse on ebay autos than any other category.
Michael N
A wash up would present the car better. Here is a photo pulled from the vin data base that Andy linked. It sure looks sexy when cleaned. note: no side markers.

Click to view attachment

As for a the 2.4 engine, I am sorta happy that my 914-6 came with a MFI 2.4S '73 engine in it. It made the car so I could afford it and is a real blast to drive. If I had the original engine I would not put it back in but would keep it on the shelf to "add value" if I ever went to sell it. Hell the 2.4 was good enough for even some of the 916's.
RFoulds
dry.gif
He is obviously not a motivated seller, which is fine. I was thrilled to see it on Ebay, cuz I thought it was my old one. Looks the same, except my Fuchs were full poolish, no black paint. Mine was signal orange with a black respray over it too. So close, but VIN is way off.

Anyway, this would be a great buy for anything under $35k if it checks out to be clean and engine is servicable.
\
RFoulds
Also, interesting that the Calgary seller wanted $40k back in 2008, and let it go for $20k, Jan 2009! Sounds like home prices back then...
rnellums
Since it was a Canada model, does that mean euro spec?
toolguy
either this is a con, or the guy doesn't really have a clue how to market a real SIX. . . the vin makes this a March 1970 produced real Six. Could be a real opportunity here. . .

I'd guess there is no way the oil actually leaked out. . 9 quarts would have made a huge mess. . the dry sump gradually fills up after SIX's sit. . all the oil in the oil tank {Where the dipstick is} seeps past the oil pump and fills up the bottom of the engine case. . the oil level can only be measured with the engine warmed up and while running. .
If it's all 'no rust' and the original parts are there, it's a 25K car with the non stock engine and color change. . . really nice it could be a little more but you need to inspect it or it's a pig in a poke deal. .

to make it perfect expect to spend a minimum 25-30K with an engine and paint job, plus a lot of labor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.