Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: At Road America With Transmission Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
So I'm at road america for the big vintage races and am having transmission problems. My transmission will not go into 1st or 5th. 1st is not a big deal, but fifth is since road america had such long straights. Two questions:

1) is there any reason this would be linkage related opposed to something I internal?

2) any chance someone has a spare gearbox in the vicinity of road america?
r_towle
Linkage related most likely...check your bushings and if they are all fine, try adjusting the shift rod at the shifter to slide the shifter onto the shifter rod about another 1/16th or just a hair more...

That little bit may get you into those gears.
Otherwise...do it with 4th...

rich
vintage914racer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2012, 09:16 AM) *

Linkage related most likely...check your bushings and if they are all fine, try adjusting the shift rod at the shifter to slide the shifter onto the shifter rod about another 1/16th or just a hair more...

rich

When you say at the shifter do you mean in the cockpit?
ottox914
I'm heading out later tonight or early tomorrow. Where are you paddocked and I'll stop by, we can have a look. Sounds like a linkage thing to me.
vintage914racer
Upper paddock. Orange914-6 #29
FourBlades

Good luck with the repairs.

Keep us posted and add some car and event pictures please!

So we can live vicariously through you instead of being stuck at work. smile.gif

John
r_towle
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 12 2012, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2012, 09:16 AM) *

rich

When you say at the shifter do you mean in the cockpit?

Cockpit, bottom of the shifter handle is a fitting that the shift rod slides into.
Look at if from behind the shifter via the tunnel.
I recall you can do this withou removing the shifter...I adjust it, drive it, adjust it, drive it...till its right.
I believe a 13mm on a long socket extension is what you need.
I also hold the bar with a pair of vise grips from the access panel between the seats at the rear of the cockpit so you have leverage in the car.
Loosen the clamp, slide the rod into the shifter coupling just a smidge (dont rotate it...that will just add more issues) and see if you get 1st and 5th back again....it may just be out of adjustment.

also, check the little coupler underneath the car at the firewall...if that is shot, you will have tons of play in the shifter setup.

The last one is the cup bushing at the shifter console on the transmission...if that blew up (and they do that at times) you will also experience loads of play and may lose parts of the throw of the shifter.

rich
rhodyguy
tail shift? if so and you can't adjust the issue away with the usual methods, suspect the double rolled pin that connects the shift lever shaft and the shift lever in the rear trans housing. the pin is #900 309 003 00 and the lever # is 914 303 301 01. detailed on p 86 fig 5.21 items 11, 14 and 12 in your haynes.

k
r_towle
sorry, I assumes it was a side shifter...
If its a tail shifter, my methods wont apply.

I recall on the tail shifter most of the wierd play is related to the worn shifter bar at the rear of the tranmission...and the bushings at the bottom of the shifter and at the firewall...the cup one on the engine side of the firewall.

rich
rhodyguy
when the rolled pin goes south, before it completely fails, you might get 2-4 and no 3-5. adj for 3-5 and maybe no 2-4. all new bushing don't help much when the pin is the issue

k
toolguy
I'd first suspect that the splined connection inside the tunnel slipped a little outward. .maybe from a very hard shift. . . use a 13mm socket and wrench. . .
put it in neutral and the lower part of the shift lever should be exactly vertical. . if it tilts to the rear at all, then loosen the nuts and slide the lever forward until vertical. . .

If it is already vertical, you might try moving it a little forward. . this allows the lever to pull the shift rod at the trans a little further into the 1,3,5th gears. . . move it too much and you wont be able to get into R, 2, and 4th

be careful to not let the splines rotate,[ only let them slide in a little] or you'll have trouble getting into r-1st or 4-5th
vintage914racer
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 12 2012, 10:30 AM) *

tail shift? if so and you can't adjust the issue away with the usual methods, suspect the double rolled pin that connects the shift lever shaft and the shift lever in the rear trans housing. the pin is #900 309 003 00 and the lever # is 914 303 301 01. detailed on p 86 fig 5.21 items 11, 14 and 12 in your haynes.

k

Side shift
gms
I will be there about noon tomorrow
My friend in the green & white 914 will walk over and give you my number
Dr Evil
Most likely external, BUT there are roll pins on the trans shift console (on the tranz) that can fail and cause this, just like a tail. If you pull the shift rod and wiggle the selector on the tranz, and it moves more than the shaft sticking out of the housing, then you have your culprit. There is an internal pin that can fail as well and will not show as easy. If I can help, let me know. You have Glenn going so that is a big help. I have parts, not sure how I can get them to you in a timely manner.
vintage914racer
Thanks all for the tips and support. After closer examination of the gear stack we found two misaligned shit rods. Apparently I should hold off on doing my own rebuilds.
lotus_65
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 12 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Good luck with the repairs.

Keep us posted and add some car and event pictures please!

So we can live vicariously through you instead of being stuck at work. smile.gif

John

agree.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 13 2012, 12:11 AM) *

Thanks all for the tips and support. After closer examination of the gear stack we found two misaligned shit rods. Apparently I should hold off on doing my own rebuilds.

Ah, I didn't realize you rebuilt it wink.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 12 2012, 09:11 PM) *
... we found two misaligned shit rods.

So you're saying it was a crappy rebuild? wink.gif

(Sorry, making fun of typos more properly belongs in the Sandbox, but I couldn't resist.)

--DD
worn
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 12 2012, 09:14 AM) *

So I'm at road america for the big vintage races and am having transmission problems. My transmission will not go into 1st or 5th. 1st is not a big deal, but fifth is since road america had such long straights. Two questions:

1) is there any reason this would be linkage related opposed to something I internal?

2) any chance someone has a spare gearbox in the vicinity of road america?

I have a tail and a side shifter setting near Madison WI.
Type 47
So...what are the lap times for a 914/6 at RA?
iamchappy
Gee Ben, i have a new tight rebuilt side shift by Rick Moe in the garage you could of grabbed and brought along when you picked up the feeler gauge, no LSD in it though....
vintage914racer
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 13 2012, 04:25 PM) *

Gee Ben, i have a new tight rebuilt side shift by Rick Moe in the garage you could of grabbed and brought along when you picked up the feeler gauge, no LSD in it though....

I brought a freshly rebuilt by Ben spare with me but clearly didn't watch me dr evil DVD enough times to learn to adjust the internal sliders...

The original tranny is now shifting like a million bucks. If only my new engine was broken in I could really open her Up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.