Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extrude Hone anybody use it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Have you done heads or intakes with this process? Good, Bad how did it turn out?
URY914
I asked that question on the Bird board a few years back and the answer was on a carbed -4, don't do it. It has to do with the fuel atomizing in the manifolds.
Low pressure, carbed engines=no
High pressure, FI engines=yes

Paul
Brett W
You can use it on a four. When you are done you will need to come back in and sandblast or polish with no more than a 60 grit flap wheel.
bondo
What is it?
davep
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 21 2004, 10:04 AM)
What is it?

http://www.extrudehone.com/afmpro.html
Brett W
Extrude Hone is a process where an abrasive putty is forced under hydraulic pressure through and intake or exhaust manifold. The "grit" of the media and speed of feed can be controlled to allow different levels of port work. It works really well for reaching areas that tend to be extremely hard to get to. I know the spec miata guys are doing intakes and exhaust manifolds and gaining 10-15 HP. The Cup teams are doing headers to clean out the soot and carbon build up that can affect HP. It could be used to clean performanc robbing rust out of a header as well.

The nice thing about this process is that it tends to follow the path that the airflow will see. It also leaves a nice finish that is condusive to airflow.
bondo
Wow, that is very cool. I had heard of it but never knew what it was.
914werke
The downside, in my understanding, is that application is at the HIGH end of HP/$ scale.
The Mita example may be a bit of an exageration unless the OE parts being affected are REALLY bad and can significantly justify the $. cool.gif
Jake Raby
I have used it, but only on FI engines. It really makes for rich running with carbs..

Works okay, but our intakes don't need any help, they are almost overkill as is for the exhaust port...
914werke
Jake ever tried it on the ex. ports on say a, 2.0 head? unsure.gif
Sammy
Run away from extrude-hone, and send me the cubic money I just saved you.
Tamks.
914werke
So Sam dont just leave us hangin, dish on the money-cubed experiance that has left you so bitter? laugh.gif
Sammy
Well, IMO you won't see any real improvement on a type 4 unless you build it to spin at 8000 rpm for extended periods, and they are better at marketing than making horsepower.
On a full race engine with every single part taken to the extreme may benefit for this process, other engines will only empty the wallet of the owner.
Plus, there's this:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=177195
dwillouby
I used the process years ago on one of my dragbike motors. This was a two stroke with a lot of porting, welding on the intake , exhaust, and transfers. I dont recall how much it helped but I was able to get 110 hp@ 13000rpm out of a Yamaha rd 400 cc twin.
silver2.0
Wow DW!
I had a 76 rd 400 (my first street bike), and I had done alot of work to it- daytona 79 motor, forged pistons, full port job, boydseen reeds, dg expansion chambers, k & N individual carbs/w custom stage 3 jet kit, ect. and it only dynoed at 65 hp! I thought I was doing good. I decided it was cheaper (and easier) to just buy a fzr 1000 and make 125 with no mods. Anyone that can push a rd that far gets my respect. You don't have any of the old specs do you? Just curious.
dwillouby
That motor used rd 400 cases. The crank was a rd 400 that was lightened, polished and welded. The cyl. were the Daytona Specials. They were machined to lower the port locations. The pistons were from an IT175 to put the eng at 426cc. The stock reed cage was machined off and a custom cage welded on. The reeds were close to YZ250 in size. I dont have the port specs. handy (might be able to dig up). The intake was so large the pistons would only last about 25 passes before the skirts would crack.
The heads were rd400. They were milled and chambers reshaped. The carbs were 34 mm with a boost bottle connecting the two. The expansion chambers were custom made per the eng specs. The trans had all gears under cut and every other engagement dog removed. I modified the trans into a semi automatic.
We ran this bike for several years on the IDBA and Prostar circuit and held many national records. I never really tuned it to its full potential. but it would run about 9.80 at 135 in the 1/4 and 6.05 at 113 in the 1/8.
David
Jake Raby
It would never benefit our exhaust port designs! The process cannot cut nice bowls and pockets in the port to aid with velocity on the long side, and it pretty much would only polish up after a hand ported job was completed, or waste the hand work...

Maybe if you had a set of our square port hybrid heads with 2.0 plug locations and did the work after handwork it would help some... BUT The answer is not "Just hogging out the ports" becaus eour exhaust port holds 4ccs LESS than any competitors head we have flowed so far. BUT ours flows 15-20% MORE with less valve lift.

This equals out to smoother performance and better drivability with unsurpassed throttle response...

"The bigger is better crowd is always easiest to beat."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.