Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best location for relocating fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I've searched this topic and found a little information but was surprised there was not more. The search engine on this site leaves a lot to be desired. Anyhow, I'm relocating my fuel pump to the front of the car. I do not wish to put it in the front trunk so that leaves under the fuel tank or underneath the car close to the master cylinder underneath the stearing rack cover. Which location is best in your opinion? Any pro's or con's to either location?
GeorgeRud
Unless you have the removable panel that was used in the later cars when the fuel pump was relocated to the front, I would recommend placing it under the car by the steering rack. You should be able to place it on the passenger side, parallel with the steering rack. I like the idea of having it out of the trunk, as a leak could be very messy if the fuel pump is mounted in the front trunk.

Having said that, that's what the factory did!
lonewolfe
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 13 2012, 05:16 AM) *

Unless you have the removable panel that was used in the later cars when the fuel pump was relocated to the front, I would recommend placing it under the car by the steering rack. You should be able to place it on the passenger side, parallel with the steering rack. I like the idea of having it out of the trunk, as a leak could be very messy if the fuel pump is mounted in the front trunk.

Thanks for your feedback. Have you relocated your fuel pump or do you have a later car? I've thought about adding my own access panel for an under tank install. Space is tight in either location as I have a front swaybar that takes up some room under the tank, to fit the pump under the car by the master cylinder the pump has to clear the stearing rack cover. From the dents in that cover I'd say this area can take a beating. It would probably be easier to change a fuel filter with the pump located under the car because removing four bolts for the cover is easier than removing the tank. I guess the filter could be accessed through that round hole in the bulkhead though. I've been trying to make up my mind for a couple of days. Arrrrgh!!!
EdwardBlume
I put mine in the front trunk and it was fine. Easy to see and access. Still works with the spare and cover...
Cap'n Krusty
Remember, the fuel lines that run through the tunnel weren't designed for 30+ psi over a long period of time. You should replace them. You'll also have to make or buy some adapters to mate the pump and filter to the larger tubing. The move isn't as easy as it sounds ......................

The Cap'n
sean_v8_914
...and since they will now be pressurized, the ends must be barbed.
it is MUCH easier to stab the new lines thru the tunnel with the engine OUT

late 914 with front pump used different material for tunnel lines
rhodyguy
one factor that never seems to be mentioned is how to correctly power the pump when relocating it and not having the pump run all the time with the key in the first position.

k

wndsrfr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 13 2012, 06:57 AM) *

one factor that never seems to be mentioned is how to correctly power the pump when relocating it and not having the pump run all the time with the key in the first position.

k

you're right mines that way and I'd sure like to find a link to a proper way to do it. what's the right way to do it with zero oil pressure shut off but allow the engine to start with no oil pressure?
sean_v8_914
i use the factory circuit. run the wire thru the tunnel
76-914
agree.gif Splice into your old electrical feed to pump and extend. I have the access on my 76 but decided to do the '73 like this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=117077&hl=
reharvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2012, 09:33 AM) *

Remember, the fuel lines that run through the tunnel weren't designed for 30+ psi over a long period of time. You should replace them. You'll also have to make or buy some adapters to mate the pump and filter to the larger tubing. The move isn't as easy as it sounds ......................

The Cap'n

agree.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:39 AM) *

agree.gif
Bartlett 914
Since I had the fuel tank out of the car, it was best to weld in the section from a late car in the bulkhead. Now it fits and is accessible. I used the cover and a section about .5" larger from the late bulkhead.
Tom_T
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 13 2012, 05:16 AM) *

agree.gif

.... that's where the 1975-ish factory service bulletin instructed dealers & independent shops to relocate, attached up on the front firewall next to the circular opening to the tunnel where the fuel lines daylight & the fuel filter was also located there inline.

You need to remove the steering rack to access this area, & my mechanic who did mine in 76 ran the electrical wires for the pump from the rear factory location along behind the passenger rocker panel, then across to the pump up under the rack. Wires through the tunnel work too, but you'll need to make sure that it clears the clutch & accelerator cables & shift linkage for full movement, but I get nervous with wires next to the fuel lines, so I was good with the method my guy used.

Don't attach it to the steering rack sheet metal cover, as some have done.

You may also want to replace your OEM plastic tunnel fuel hard lines with SS ones (Tangerine & others sell them) at the same time.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
lonewolfe
Thanks for all the great replies. 76-914, thanks for sending the link for your previous post. Your method of installing the pump is unique and not something I've thought of so one more option to consider. I plan to run the wiring from the front relocated pump back to where the original wiring is located from the factory. I had not considered running the wires under the passenger side rocker panel instead of through the tunnel where all the other stuff is crammed in there. Something else to consider. Thanks for all you help Guys! I love this 914 World community!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 13 2012, 07:39 AM) *

Does the factory circuit kill the power if the engine dies?
I'm on SDS ignition so maybe need an oil pressure switch tie in??
Spoke
I relocated the fuel pump up front.

Check my progress thread starting on page 8 and continues on page 9.

Spoke's Progress Thread
lonewolfe
Hey Spoke!

Thanks for letting me know about your thread. Unfortunately, 914World won't let me view any of of the threads to your post. I don't have any idea why this happens but it happens more often than not. When I clink on a link a screen comes up with a read bar stating page can't be viewed because of missing information. I log out, log back in and it still will not let me open the page. Very frustrating. So, I can't see the pictures of the work you did relocating your fuel pump. mad.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 14 2012, 12:27 PM) *

Hey Spoke!

Thanks for letting me know about your thread. Unfortunately, 914World won't let me view any of of the threads to your post. I don't have any idea why this happens but it happens more often than not. When I clink on a link a screen comes up with a read bar stating page can't be viewed because of missing information. I log out, log back in and it still will not let me open the page. Very frustrating. So, I can't see the pictures of the work you did relocating your fuel pump. mad.gif

I get this sometimes too. I think it's Sir Andy's security script. Activated when your connection is too slow...
Mike Bellis
BTW, Mine is in the front trunk. I replace both fuel lines with aluminum tubing and AN-6 fittings from Summit Racing. I never trusted the stock plastic lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.