Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Wheel Bearings 1972 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
356fan
I’m having trouble with the wheel bearings and I’m looking for some advice as to how to properly install them.

I burnt out the driver’s side spindle with bearing failure some years back. At the time I chocked it up to a fluke(or poor install by myself). I don’t recall what brand I got from Pelican Parts when I rebuilt them originally but ordered a pair just to have a spare on the shelf the ones I got at that time where Kyoto.

In May the passenger side failed so I popped in the other set of Kyoto and promptly had Pelican overnight me OEM bearings(they shipped SKF from Mexico. Who knew SKF in Mexico was making parts for Porsche I guess you learn something new every day). I pulled the driver side the day I replaced the passenger everything seemed fine at the time no metal shavings or pitting.

I have about 1500 miles on the new passenger side bearing and probably like 8k on the driver I replaced when I toasted the spindle. Today I had to replace them both. Drivers was very lose and pitted passengers not as bad but still gone. I replaced the passenger side with an SKF and supplied races packed it with high temperature disk brake wheel bearing greases. As a test the driver’s side got the bearing that came with that spindle made in Germany quite possibly original looks and feels like new.

So it would seem I’m not doing something quite right here. I would like to think it’s bad bearings maybe the first 4 where Kyoto, but I doubt it could be that easy. From there my mind goes to improperly installed, got any tips?

Rereading my note I see that the driver side was fine until I checked 1500 miles ago. Maybe I’m over tightening these things. Looking back at the manual I see that it calls for spinning the rotor as you tighten the nut(which I have been doing) then to check that the nose washer can just be moved laterally by gently using a screwdriver. I forgot this step today driveless than 3 miles but have since corrected it and now have 20 miles on them. What method do you use to tighten the pinch nut?

I jacked up the car this evening and can feel movement maybe 1/16 to an 1/8 when I shake the wheel top and bottom. Should there be any play like this? I’m afraid to over tighten them, then again to lose and that would be just as bad.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
cary
Movement is not an option.
Tighten the bearing until you can't move the wheel.
Then back it out until you can lever some movement in the nose washer.

The movement you've left is creating wear and heat.

So to teach your self. Tighten a little. Then test the wheel. Rocking like you did from the top and bottom. Tighten some more. Test again.
When you finally get it tight enough so that it doesn't have any play.
See what kind of movement you get in the nose washer.
Dave_Darling
A just-perceptible amount of movement of the wheel when you shake it is great. A large "clunk" is not so good. No movement at all is too tight, IMHO.

I tighten the wheel bearing nut until a pretty good amount of prying force is needed to move the washer. Tighten the pinch-screw to spec (I think 11 lb-ft?) and then spin the hub a few times and re-check the washer.

Be careful not to mar the bearings or bearing race (the surfaces the bearings ride on) when you're doing your prying, though.

--DD
cary
Dave's probably closer.
I guess the word none is a bit harsh.
How about negligible.
pcar916
If you had to choose one slightly loose is safer and things won't be getting too hot.
Bartlett 914
How are you greasing them? The bearings MUST be fully packed with grease. You cannot just wipe grease on them. I place a a gob of grease in the palm of my CLEAN hand. I push the grease into the large end between the cage and the bearing. I do this in the same spot until the grease comes out between the cage and the bearing at the small diameter. I then rotate the bearing a little and repeat. This is done until the bearing is fully full of grease and no air is present inside. use a generous amount of grease in the hub and on the outside of the bearing after it is installed.
356fan
Thank you for the reply's. I'm going to pull the outer bearings tomorrow check them for any damage confirm fully greased and tighten them to remove the play.

What brand and where are people sourcing bearings from?
mrbubblehead
and dont spin dry them with you air gun after you clean them. it will hurt them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.