Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front story on Jalopnik
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
"If such a car were made today, people would be stabbing each other's faces in the streets for the chance to buy one."
jeffdon
I rather like this one:

"Many can still be found on the roads today, driven with the top open by a quirky and attentive owner or doing battle with a Fox-body Mustang or a Dodge Neon in some Lemons race."

What? Me quirky?
blitZ
It even had two trunks! How many trunks does your stupid car have?

Now, that's just funny.
carr914
The Problem I have with Historians Write-Ups - they fail to realize how many 914s were sold and that they were successful
Rav914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 14 2012, 04:28 PM) *

The Problem I have with Historians Write-Ups - they fail to realize how many 914s were sold and that they were successful

Agreed. It seems no one can write about the 914 without the word "failure" in there some where. 100K+ Porsche's sold in six-seven years is not a failure. Writers need to quit parroting what they read and perpetuating myths.
Bullethead
agree.gif

Most writers are intellectually lazy and usually without real depth in the subject some editor gave 'em a deadline for, which is how misinformation/cliche history is prepetuated. Remember too, Porsche replaced the 914 with the excreable 924 which ultimately sold about as many units... but is there a large and dedicated bunch celebrating them? Modifying them to fit their desires? Using them as God hisownself intended? Uhhh, no.

There's no rabid following for the greatly improved 944 in all it's guises, either.

The comments regarding poor build quality always amuse me. Compared to the 914's price point competition, they were in most cases superior in fit and finish... as a Porsche, that was expected. X19 anyone? Fiat 124? Neither had as nice an interior, were equally underpowered, and rusted even worse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.