Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-Jet troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
I pulled the 1.8 out of my car because the compression was down to 80-85 on all 4 cylinders and I had a spaer engine which had compression reading at 120.

I swapped over all the injection and intake parts and harnesses after I had the running engine out of the car.
*Only thing I didn't change was the Engine temp sensor

I installed the good compression engine today and it doesn't start.

I have fuel to the rails
spark at the plugs

But it won't fire. Is there something to check that would keep the injectors from pulsing?

Thanks in advance for any possiblle solutions

Jeff
bigkensteele
My guess is timing.

Pull the #1 plug and then rotate the crank until the timing mark lines up to the fan housing. Stick a plastic straw into the #1 cylinder to make sure you can feel the top of the piston. Remove the dizzy cap to make sure the rotor is pointing to TDC.

Is the replacement motor a 1.8? I can't recall the specifics, but the timing marks are different on the 1.7 for sure, and perhaps the 2.0. There is a tech article on Pelican that will explain this.
jmargush
replacement is a 1.8
I djusted the valves while the engine was out so I think the timing is ok unless something else is off internally. and I don't know the history on the engine as it came with a parts car.

I will check TDC again to make sure
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 14 2012, 08:33 PM) *

My guess is timing.

Pull the #1 plug and then rotate the crank until the timing mark lines up to the fan housing. Stick a plastic straw into the #1 cylinder to make sure you can feel the top of the piston. Remove the dizzy cap to make sure the rotor is pointing to TDC.

Is the replacement motor a 1.8? I can't recall the specifics, but the timing marks are different on the 1.7 for sure, and perhaps the 2.0. There is a tech article on Pelican that will explain this.

agree.gif
Does it fire at all? Maybe 180 out
dlee6204
First I would check to see if your injectors are actually firing or not. Remove an injector from its holder and place it in a small jar. Crank the car to see if it squirts. If not, double check your connections at the resistor pack and dual relay. Make sure there are no loose/broken connections.
messix
oil cap on?

dip stick in?

those off with cause vacuum leak and no start
Black22
FI Relay/connections? Resistor pack?

Trust me, fuel AT the rails means nothing...do you have fuel PRESSURE?

Check fuel lines in engine compartment. Did you hook up the supply side to the rail and line that runs along the trunkside of the engine to the return line? It's easy to get them confused because the wrong way looks like a cleaner install.
messix
dual relay over by the battery fires the injectors
Als914
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jul 14 2012, 06:18 PM) *

I pulled the 1.8 out of my car because the compression was down to 80-85 on all 4 cylinders and I had a spaer engine which had compression reading at 120.

I swapped over all the injection and intake parts and harnesses after I had the running engine out of the car.
*Only thing I didn't change was the Engine temp sensor

I installed the good compression engine today and it doesn't start.

I have fuel to the rails
spark at the plugs

But it won't fire. Is there something to check that would keep the injectors from pulsing?

Thanks in advance for any possiblle solutions

Jeff

Check this connector to the FI harness and pay attension to the red wire that it is connected when installed. My experience has been that it get pushed out of it's slot and doesn't make contact.
Click to view attachment
Valy
assuming you have fuel running out the injectors and spark, you should check timing.
does it try to start? backfires?
jmargush
No firing at all, no back firing
trying to wrap my head around it being 180 out of time.

If #1 is at TDC and the rotor is poitning to the mark on the distributor housing for TDC on #1 and valves are both closed (play in both when i adjusted the valves)

Could it still be 180 out of time?

I will check the harness connections today
jmargush
Injectors aren't pulsing
Am I correct in assuming that an incorrectly timed Distributor wouldn't cause this?

Wires to the relay look ok
McMark
Do you have a white wire from the FI harness connected to the coil on the negative side?
rick 918-S
Check the direction of the fuel flow. If you accidentally get the pressure regulator on the wrong side of the flow you will get a no start.
jmargush
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Do you have a white wire from the FI harness connected to the coil on the negative side?

no white wire to neg. onc oil.
2 blk wires that go to one terminal to positive side of coil and one blk wire that goes to neg. side of coil. Theese come from harness from the relay board.

There is a single white wire from injection harness that I thougth went to the 3 spade ground terminal on case. Is this wrong?
jmargush
Got it to start

I ran the white wire from injec. harness to neg on coil but I also reran the harness in the engine compartment. I am wondering if there is a broken wire somewhere in the harness.

Does anyone sell rebuilt L-jet harnesses?
can the plugs that go to the inijectors be updated to a newer style that is easier to remoce?
zonedoubt
Read the L-jet troubleshooting guide here: http://manuals.type4.org/ljet/

It helped me every time I had troubles.
dlee6204

I strongly recommend Jeff Bowlsby for new harnasses. His stuff is top notch. first.gif

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
Black22
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jul 15 2012, 11:43 AM) *

I strongly recommend Jeff Bowlsby for new harnasses. His stuff is top notch. first.gif

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Also check out his PDF'S. He has hand drawn schematics of all the wiring on the L-jet (including our harness). I always refer to it when reinstalling my harness.
Black22
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Good call! Totally forgot about that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.