Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! how do you mount pilot driving lights on a '76? FIGURED IT OUT !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
Topic says it all. Changing my '76 over to chrome bumpers. The tabs were cut off when it was painted. We test fit the front bumper today and marked where to drill the hole on the bump for the new Pilots. Since late cars don't have the floating captured nut installed is there any trick you can use other than a very very long bolt all the way through the panel to mount the lights? Help!!
Bleyseng
I installed a special capture nut so it was just like the early bumpered cars. The nut has a bolt you tighten and a knurls over to fasten the nut to the metal. Then you unscrew the bolt and install the fog lights.
I bought them at a speciality nut and bolt hardware store in Seattle but look online. I posted pics ages ago if you do a search.
Vysoc
Use the search mode, I have pictures of what I did on my 75. It was not easy but I got an open ended wrench in there and was able to bolt them right up.

Just found the old thread it was labeled "Advice on Bumper Back Date"....................SEARCH.

Vysoc flag.gif
jim_hoyland
There's a long thread on how to do the retro bumpers on the late model 914 including the Fog Light install

See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...8404&hl=dog bones&st=38

smile.gif

**The light mounting starts around post 38 or 39...
shelby/914
Thanks for the ideas. With a special tool my friend had the cat was easily skinned.We fitted the fogs with the bumper on, Marked the spot and drilled a hole in the raised bump on the panel and ran a bolt through (that's the easy part). The special tool is a round disk magnet with a clip to attach it to the back of a box end wrench. Then put the wrench through the slit under the head light bucket and tighten it up. Took about a half hour to do both. That thing is worth it's weight in gold. I believe it came from Snap On. I'll find out for sure if anyone needs one.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.