Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Found this on TheSamaba
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos

I have never seen something like this before. Not in the market, but curious about it.

Click to view attachment

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1331861

McMark
Looks like standard 911 runners from a K-Jet car and a homebuilt adapter plenum/carb mount. I'm sure it would work, but who knows how well and I would always wonder if all the cylinder would get correct mixture since the airflows inside the plenum may create dead spots for certain cylinders.
markyb
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2012, 12:25 PM) *

Looks like standard 911 runners from a K-Jet car and a homebuilt adapter plenum/carb mount. I'm sure it would work, but who knows how well and I would always wonder if all the cylinder would get correct mixture since the airflows inside the plenum may create dead spots for certain cylinders.

I used to wonder about that same issue when I was a youngster and saw this monster with my own eyes for the first time. I suppose it all depends on the design of the plenum. If I remember correctly there's some channels cast into the max wedge manifold, maybe that's the case on the six as well?
McMark
Yeah, I'm sure it would fire up and run. And probably run fairly well. But without checking EGT and/or AFR on all six you wouldn't know for sure. If you did do that work, I'm sure you could design a plenum that would work. But after all that, it seems like you wouldn't save time or money, which is usually the motivation for these types of swaps.
aircooledtechguy
Wow!! Don't know what to say about that. . .

I'll bet it runs as well and is as tunable as a stock 914 running one of the one-size-fits-none "progressive" carbs. blink.gif
stugray
Someone told me that a Holley 4-barrel with a custom plenum works great on a 914-4.
I guess if each barrel from the carb goes to a single intake, then they should be balanced.

Should be the same as running dual Webers....(1 barrel per cylinder).

Stu
DBCooper
Probably work as well as a single Solex or Weber carburetor on a T4 motor. In other words not too well.
messix
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 15 2012, 11:11 AM) *

Someone told me that a Holley 4-barrel with a custom plenum works great on a 914-4.
I guess if each barrel from the carb goes to a single intake, then they should be balanced.

Should be the same as running dual Webers....(1 barrel per cylinder).

Stu

dont let this guy work on your car!!!

trying to run a single port intake off each barrle off a holley will not work.

holley carbs are nothing like any thing thats gets put on these engines.

most holley carbs run a 2 stage throttle, they run on 1 stage called the primary which is only 2 barrles and then through either a vacuum oprerated linkage or a progresive mechanical linkage the other 2 barrles open for what is called the secondarys.

for a holley to work you need and open commom plenum for each primary and secondary set to flow in to.

there are some very large models that run all barrels on a 1-1 opening but those are race only and are not at all suited for street let alone these small displacement engines.

there is much more about holley carbs that has to do with the fuel metering between pimary and secondary for idle and power enrichment that would make that type of configuration not work at all.

running a large plennum like in the picture can work.... i doubt it works very well.
bends in the intake tubes will cause the fuel to drop out of atomization and pool and run through the intake. what will work on dry intake ports does not work on wet intakes.

this above goes for almost all domestic v8 type 4 barrel carbs.
Bruce Hinds
Can't work well. If straight line acceleration is what you're interested in may be it might be a kick. But, the truth is Edelbrock carbs don't corner well. I had a 600 holley on my v8 teener and it never stumbled in a hard corner. I wanted more and went with the edelbrock 750 with progressive secondaries and I had a substantial increase in power, but in long hard corners the side floats just don't work.

Other 4 bbl factors are the plennum(SP) depending on what's inside to direct the flow, you could have rich or lean mixtures, not good in an aircooled engine. The 4bbl runs on only 2 until tromp on it then the other two open.

I'd run from this idea.
messix
mopar tried some stuff in the early 60s and... well no one does any thing like now with a wet intake.
bembry
QUOTE(messix @ Jul 15 2012, 02:22 PM) *

mopar tried some stuff in the early 60s and... well no one does any thing like now with a wet intake.

Looks like the cross rams from a Chrysler 300 with a 413. Monstrous acceleration in a super big coupe--as fast as the Corvette of the same year. I just talked with a guy with a ('61) 300G and he said that even when cold, they weren't bad. When warmed up...look out! piratenanner.gif
Dr Evil
From my own experience with a similar setup on a corvair....it sucked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.