Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat belt anchor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I am looking for a source of the seat belt anchor. I am doing some work on the drivers side long and the tunnel and will need to replace these. The only commercially available anchors I have found are these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-SBHP/. Several people sell them but they lack the sleeve that goes through long. I am hoping to find something like the originals.

I have tried to source them from Restoration Design (since they are welding them into the long replacement) but they don't sell hardware. I have also tried to find the components to weld up but I have not found anything similar. Its possible that I am just not using the right search terms but so far I have found nothing. Does anyone have any ideas for a source?

Any help is appreciated,
John

TheCabinetmaker
Maybe one cut from a donor car?
obscurity
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 15 2012, 05:54 PM) *

Maybe one cut from a donor car?

I thought about that but then I will have a rusty seat belt anchor just like I do now. I really didn;t think this would be as hard as it seems to be. Can anyone tell me what the name of the "insert" is? The e-brake piece uses a similar part (but smaller)

Thanks,
John
bigkensteele
Not sure what your fabrication skills are. If you would not be happy with welding a nut to a plate and then welding that on the inside of the tunnel, then perhaps you might want to find some pipe or a ferrule and tap it to accept the bolt.

I would think that the nut/plate solution would be more than adequate, assuming you have good penetration on your welds.
obscurity
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 15 2012, 11:39 PM) *

Not sure what your fabrication skills are. If you would not be happy with welding a nut to a plate and then welding that on the inside of the tunnel, then perhaps you might want to find some pipe or a ferrule and tap it to accept the bolt.

I would think that the nut/plate solution would be more than adequate, assuming you have good penetration on your welds.

It is looking more and more like I will have to go that route. I am just frustrated that although the part like this shows up in several locations on our cars, I found some Landrover replacement parts that included it (as a portion of a larger part), and Restoration design is using them for replacement longitudinals I can't find a supplier for the part. Are all these people having the parts fabricated in small quantities for their use?

It looks something like this,

Click to view attachment

Please excuse the rough sketch.
injunmort
google "stepped threaded bung" msc and i am sure mcmaster, grainger etc will have what you need.
obscurity
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 16 2012, 08:51 AM) *

google "stepped threaded bung" msc and i am sure mcmaster, grainger etc will have what you need.

THANK YOU!! I will have to search suppliers tonight but a quick Google search has found many photos of exactly what I am looking for.

All the best,
John
obscurity
In the latest turn of events I was able to find this right away but they don't have the right size (7/16"-20)

http://www.bungking.com/bungs-3/stepped-fl...aded-bungs.html

After a lot of digging though the web including McMaster, MSC, Grainger and many others all I have found that was the right size doesn't actually meet the sketch above

http://qscomponents.com/716BungRH.html

Mcmaster actually has the same thing but it is harder to link to. What I really want is the "step" shown in the sketch. This part is really for use with pipe.

Back to the web

John
two-strokejohn
If you can get a bung insert close to the correct size of 7/16-20.... drill it out and retap it ...... if need be, I could supply you with a correct tap.

John
bigkensteele
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jul 16 2012, 05:32 PM) *

In the latest turn of events I was able to find this right away but they don't have the right size (7/16"-20)

Are you sure that it is a 7/16" thread? Everything else on the car other than the wheel diameter is metric, so I am surprised that this would be SAE thread, unless they had to comply with some DOT standard.
Dave_Darling
I think it was the latter case--a DOT standard. Either that, or there is a metric thread that is functionally identical to 7/16-20.

--DD
injunmort
i have been told sae was dot mandated on the seatbelt hardware but i dont know that for sure.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 16 2012, 10:01 PM) *

Either that, or there is a metric thread that is functionally identical to 7/16-20.

--DD

Exactly.
M11 and 7/16-20 are virtually identical.
ChrisFoley
I'm doubtful you will find a suitable new part to install without some modificaton or fabrication.
The suggestion of welding a nut to a plate is the simplest solution.
You could machine the nut in a lathe to provide the shoulder you want.
injunmort
google fragola performance, they may be able to help. they make one in aluminum #499510, they may also make it in steel. fwiw
Harpo
There is a company called viking (SP?) that sells a pipe nut to Chrysler. And yes 7/16 is the standard size for seat belt applications here in the US. I had no idea that it also applied to Europe.

David
smj
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 16 2012, 06:45 PM) *

Are you sure that (seatbelt mounting bolt) it is a 7/16" thread? Everything else on the car other than the wheel diameter is metric, so I am surprised that this would be SAE thread, unless they had to comply with some DOT standard.

That's exactly what it is. And it was easier to standardize on what would sell in the US market than not. Should we put this in a wiki for easier reference than searching for old threads?

See also:
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 11 2012, 09:35 PM) *

Tonight I confirmed that the bolts that came with the 944 seatbelts will thread into the shoulder mounting point (easiest to check) - I think another thread mentioned there's a US law mandating standard attachment specs. (See Cap'n Krusty here)
Black22
www.bungking.com will make any bung you want. Length, thread size and pitch...anything. Give them a look.
smj
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jul 17 2012, 11:20 PM) *

www.bungking.com

Oh yeah, about that - anybody have Mike Judge's phone number? I would love to hear what Beavis/Cornholio would do with that...
Black22
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 18 2012, 01:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Jul 17 2012, 11:20 PM) *

www.bungking.com

Oh yeah, about that - anybody have Mike Judge's phone number? I would love to hear what Beavis/Cornholio would do with that...

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.