Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 74 raby 2056 can-am clone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
lotus_65
1974 Porsche 914 Resto-mod
Located in Minneapolis, MN.

I've owned this car since 2002 it’s well sorted, and I've been driving it every day for about the last 3 months flawlessly. This car is a driving car and shouldn't be confused with a trailer-queen. And the way it tracks on the road, a real highway star.
First let me say it will never be an original style restoration. She's had some major front bodywork from the previous owner, actually showing the replacement front clips VIN, and the original engine has been bored and stroked. All in all, it's a very solid car, ready to be driven for decades to come.

Currently she has a fresh 2056 engine, freshly rebuilt gearbox with dual Weber 40’s. Exhaust is 2l stainless HE to a Monza with a wide-band o2 sensor welded in.

SOLD

It comes with some parts that, while not needed for excellent driving, are important/interesting maintenance/performance parts, including a headlight rebuild kit and a front sway bar and an excellent bike rack solution.

It also has a very rare Aamco interior console that is highly coveted by enthusiasts. Also h4 headlights, euro rear turn signals and upgraded LED gauge lamps. I just ordered new Pilot fog lamps also.

There was minor rust in the battery tray/hell hole when I purchased it. We stripped, ground, cleaned and patched the rust with German steel (not fiberglass or any other bad solution), then coated the entire area with p.o.r. 15. Since these cars usually aren't driven in the rain or snow (much, at least), this should never be a problem again. The next owners will surely care for those trouble areas, so this is considered a permanent fix. Also, there has been welding done to the rear suspension ear on the passenger side... Again, save poor maintenance or ignorant operation, this is fixed effectively forever. I personally refreshed the rear brake calipers, which was a pretty cool thing to do in my opinion.

To do list:
It does need to have an electrical bug traced (I may have found it in the fog light circuit). It doesn't affect the operations, but just drains the battery slowly. The carpet could be replaced, along with some other creature comforts improved if desired. There’s some body work to be done including spot rust repair up front. Lastly, it was repainted before I bought it with a dark gray metal flake on top of the factory olympic blue. I added yellow to the bottom to replicate the bumblebee "Can-Am" look just because I like it. But honestly, it's a pretty poor paint job and needs to be dented out and re-sprayed. I'll be happy to let the next owner decide this option.

I do not need to sell it. I have another project I would like to do, but I can enjoy this car for many, many more years if I don't get what its worth. No matter what, the effort put into a car like this pays dividends every time you climb behind the wheel.

UPDATE:

Pics available of the calipers as I honed and polished the moving parts and reassembled to factory spec. I replaced all bad seals and covers, then reinstalled and adjusted to factory sped .004" clearance. This has improved stopping performance greatly, and I'm happy and rather proud of my handy work.
I’ve also purchased some tires for a second set of wheels and replaced the left tie rod end. I’ve also rewired the center console, adding some connectors to make future upgrades and mods easier.

Many more pics available~

Paul
lotus_65
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
more soon!
lotus_65
pics of my bike rack (included)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1705976

Click to view attachment
lotus_65
bump for new price:

now $6,500
lotus_65
icon_bump.gif

must sell, dudes.
i'll drive it to you!
markb
This looks like a good deal. It's a buyers market right now, I'm having trouble selling my Red Car, too. More pics, up close, with interior shots might help. Good luck with the sale!
lotus_65
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 31 2012, 01:41 PM) *

This looks like a good deal. It's a buyers market right now, I'm having trouble selling my Red Car, too. More pics, up close, with interior shots might help. Good luck with the sale!

thanks for the feedback and good luck to you, i know it's not a great market!
beerchug.gif
Hey, heat's back in...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
Interior:
good/very good condition
unblemished dash
could use a carpet kit, but nice mats
seats have a couple holes/tears, but overall pretty nice
amco console in great shape
doors are good

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
Bump for new price
gandalfthegray
Any idea what HP this Raby motor makes? I know stock they're between 80 and 95 HP depending on displacement.
speedypete
QUOTE(gandalfthegray @ Aug 26 2012, 04:19 PM) *

Any idea what HP this Raby motor makes? I know stock they're between 80 and 95 HP depending on displacement.

If me memory hasn't failed. Raby advertises the 2056 a little over 120hp. You can comfirm by looking up their website.
lotus_65
edited 9/10/12

The carbed one I though was about 125hp/130t, I'll see if I can find my sheets.
I don't even try and I'm way out front from the stoplight...

I can't find my dyno results from years ago, but these are Jakes sales sheets that show his results from a spec build of my kit.
These are not my results, but I think I'll make a date with the dyno just for fun. I'll post them here when I get it done.

Click to view attachment

link from webarchive

Thanks for looking and asking!

Paul

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
icon_bump.gif

$5k, boys and girls... your buying asset value!
RFoulds
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 3 2012, 01:30 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

Great deal, but where is car located??
lotus_65
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 3 2012, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 3 2012, 01:30 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

Great deal, but where is car located??

Oh,

Minneapolis.

Fixed first paragraph to make that clear, thanks.
lotus_65
Sail panel in good shape, just minor rust and my less-than-careful putty finishing.

This car WAS undercoated, so the rust is relatively minimal.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
Front trunk - The only real issue with the car.
I just put some metal-ready on it, I am sure there is a lot of metal left except where it's perforating around the bottom AC cutout area.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
Rear trunk is good. I am looking for the missing torsion bars...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
Evidence of welding (passenger-side front)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
The trunk is a little toasty.

There is a Restoration Design front trunk that is almost ready for production.
A little welder.gif and paint, and it's a $10k ride. I would do it today if the part was ready.
shuie
I'm confused about the Raby association. Who built this engine? Did it actually come from Jake's shop, was it bought and built as a kit, cloned from info available on the forums, etc..? Sorry, it's just not clear from the original post.
lotus_65
QUOTE(shuie @ Sep 9 2012, 08:52 AM) *

I'm confused. Who built the engine? Did it actually come from Jake's shop, was it bought and built as a kit, cloned from info available on the forums, etc..? How old is the motor, about how many miles on it?

The kit is pure Raby.
It was first built in '05 I think, but it broke.

I ordered replacement parts from Jake in 2010, but didn't have it assembled (here in the Minneapolis area by a Type I expert) until June of this year (2012).

I have been driving it daily since installing it, and it has about 5,000 miles on it now.

What else can I clear up for you?
beerchug.gif
lotus_65
It was pointed out that the dyno results I posted were confusing, in that some thought that they were from my engine that Jake built for me, then tested and provided that sheet to me.

This is not the case.

I posted the sheets from Jakes website, hoping to reveal Jake's proposed HP/T numbers. This was his sales spec sheet from back in the day.

I didn't mean at all to suggest that these are my dyno numbers.

Sorry for the confusion.
lotus_65
SOUNDS!

Tomorrow I'll take the wiper off so we can see the road...

http://youtu.be/BnPt9mD6_po
lotus_65
One more, without the wiper:

http://youtu.be/pLcjQfBtjyU
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.