Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
It looks like I've got a bad pump. Everything is plumbed to match Dave Darling's hose diagram and I've checked it against a known good 73. To be sure, I did some additional testing.

The connector that is closest to the electrical hookup is the one that has the T on it to connect to the return line in the tunnel and to the fuel pressure regulator. I'm testing by hooking the gauge directly to the center outlet of the pump.

If I clamp between the T and the fuel pressure regulator, I get about 1 psi on the gauge. If I clamp between the T and the tube in the tunnel, I get about 10 psi.

If I test with no lines clamped, I get about 5 psi.

I bought this pump a few months back and have never used it until now. The Haynes manual says that the pre-72 and 72-74 pumps are "similar". I don't know for sure what year this one came out of. Does anyone know if there are any differences between pumps? Like, should the two "outside" hose connections be reversed?

Does any of this information give anyone a clue about what is going on?
ThinAir
Anybody ever try an MSD pump as a replacement?
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...-2225&x=16&y=12

At $80 it's a lot less intimidating than $300 (Pelican's Price for stock)!
Brad Roberts
WOW.

I like it. I paid close to 500$ for my injection pump (good for 1100hp) they must have recently released this one.

Buy it. Use it. Tell us how great it is.

I see NO reason why it wont work.

B
Mike9142.0
Can you just take the return from the press regulator and go to the tank with out the one from the stock pump?
Brad Roberts
Correct a mundo. Take it straight from the regulator and pipe it to the return.

B
Mike9142.0
Thanks Brad.
ThinAir
Cool. I've got a Bosch pump # 0580463010 that I found that I'm gonna try first. It's the same setup: 1 inlet, 1 outlet. It spins so I'm hopeful that I can use it. If it don't work, then I'll try the MSD pump. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow night after work!
Gint
It sounds a lot to me like you have a factory /6 pump for use with carbs. They look just like the FI pump. What's the part number on that pump?
Dave_Darling
The stock pumps (70-74) have small labels next to the fittings. "S", "D", and "R".

S stands for Suction (or rather, the German equivalent which also starts with S).
D stands for Druck, which is German for Pressure.
R stands for the German word for Return.

So you hook up the larger center tunnel line to the fuel filter and then to the S port.
You hook up the D port to the right-side fuel rail.
You hook up the R port to the "Y" fitting that connects to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and also to the smaller center tunnel line going back to the fuel tank.

Any pump should be fine--as long as it puts out enough pressure and volume. Pumps that do not have an "R" port are fine, just remove the "Y" fitting and plumb the FPR directly to the smaller center tunnel line.

--DD
ThinAir
It's ALIVE!!!!

Sure enough, there was something "wrong" with the fuel pump. The 75-76 style pump runs it just fine! Unfortunately, the "new" pump is seeping fuel from around where the casing crimps around the plastic on the outlet end, so I still have to get something else. I'll be in Phoenix this weekend and I'll either get one of those MSD pumps (if I can find a local source) or I can get a new 75-76 pump at BAP.

I'm not sure that there is anything actually "wrong" with the pump that didn't work. Mike Ginter's comment is interesting. The only part number I can find anywhere on the pump is stamped into the end. It is 0580960009. I can't make that match up with anything at Pelican's site. Does anyone recognize this number?

Thanks to all for your assistance on this project. I sure couldn't have done it without the help of the group!

I can hardly wait to driving.gif it again!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.