Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do we have a factory pictures thread?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
This one got posted on Facebook recently, the original poster speculated 1969, and the body color bumpers on the 914s supports that. Rear lights look Euro spec to me.
JeffBowlsby
Not very many production line photos that I know of. Here's 1

sixerdon
The above picture is from the centerfold of the June, 1970 Christophorus, Porsche's factory magazine, which is published in German every other month (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov), then interpreted in English on the even months for distribution for English speaking countries. The photo was taken about March for the May issue in German first, then interpreted for the English June issue.
The detail is great! You can actually read the tachometer red line which shows it to be at 5600 rpm. If one wants a copy, just remember that Porsche owns the copyright..........and you know they are very sensitive on copyright infringement. It's best to buy your own issue. Every now and then a June copy will pop up on ebay,....... buy it. It's very cool in a frame!
Don
nathansnathan
some more

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
1970 Neun vierzehn
Note the early rear bumpers in this photo.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
I think my car is in this pic biggrin.gif
Thestigz06
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 4 2012, 08:48 PM) *

I think my car is in this pic biggrin.gif

so many subie swaps, so little time! piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Many euro cars without the side marker lights.
Picture #6 is getting pre-conditioned for rust. sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
It is interesting to note that the white 914 in the foreground appears to have outside mirrors mounted on both sides of the car.

Also of note what seems like an almost total lack of radio antenna.

Paul
mepstein
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 5 2012, 01:19 PM) *

It is interesting to note that the white 914 in the foreground appears to have outside mirrors mounted on both sides of the car.

Paul

I don't see wiper blades.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2012, 09:24 AM) *

Paul

I don't see wiper blades.

Maybe in the trunk with the hubcaps? idea.gif

As I further examine the pic, the second white car has PORSCHE lettering on the engine grille; that one might be going to the US.
rnellums

Paul

Weren't antennas Dealer installed?
jsayre914
this one
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 5 2012, 12:51 PM) *

Paul

The 6th car back in the row on the left (orange) looks like it has an antenna installed.
rjames
Love that they are sitting outside in the rain. They were rusting before they were ever sold to anyone. biggrin.gif
kwlane
Why do some not have vinyl on the sail area? The blue on in front and a white one on the train. Awesome photos!
nathansnathan
QUOTE(kwlane @ Aug 6 2012, 12:46 PM) *

Why do some not have vinyl on the sail area? The blue on in front and a white one on the train. Awesome photos!

They're npn-appearance group. You can see the white one's body-colored bumper. That's how the early ones came stock, though most were up-sold to chrome and vinyl.

Seems they got wiper arms and hubcaps pretty late in the process.
kwlane
The non-apperance group looks better now than the more upscale ones.
Eric_Shea
...to some maybe. smile.gif
scotty b
Is the blue one in the foreground missing the rollbar trim or is it painted body color ?? confused24.gif
bulitt
The ride height is fairly high.
IPB Image
pete000

First factory picture of an installed right side mirror I have ever seen!
URY914
Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
This one is kind of relevant.
IPB Image

I ocr text converted and then google translated it

An impressive fleet of white VW-Porsche will continue to be the pride of North Rhine-Westphalia police.

VW-Porsche for the police

Crooks love fast cars. The police makes things difficult, because in the prosecution of offenders, they often can not keep up with them. North Rhine-Westphalia law enforcement officials will in future have it better. An impressive fleet of snow-white VW-Porsche 914 is designed to enable them. the auto-alignment of the villains thwart.

On 9 November were ready, the first twenty of the fast-Polizel racer in vehicle delivery to the Narupstraße. Officials in North Rhine-Westphalian Polizel acquisitions after a short introduction to smart car and walked with them in rapid succession on the trip to Dortmund. Of course, the new vehicles are not yet ready for use immediately. In the central police workshops they have to yet to be equipped, they make proper use of cars with those attributes. Blue light. Martin Horn and Funksprechgerat belong to self-evident. But the fast VW-Porsche will also receive a clearly visible mark from the air. FOr the con -. Traffic surveillance from the air and on large inserts. where even airplanes or helicopters take over, has shown itself useful

Officers could not wait to get behind the wheel of fast white car. She first had to undergo an initiation into the delivery vehicle in the proper treatment of the VW-Porsche 914 is over.
larss
Not pictures but a film from 1971 showing different VW test tracks etc, not all about 914 but some 914's can be seen here and there. smile.gif
Prepare for a 33 minutes long watch!

/Lars S

1971 VW test facilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKRi01Z2TRY
SirAndy
Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
OmaPossu
Tack! Det är rigtig 70 talet där och 914 var sport bil då smile.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 5 2012, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 5 2012, 12:51 PM) *

Paul

The 6th car back in the row on the left (orange) looks like it has an antenna installed.

Looks like to me that the 914's on the train are being shipped around Europe while the lower ones are going to the US as they have the front puck lites and no hubcaps.
SirAndy
Looks like the two pictures below were taken at the same time but from two different vantage points ...

idea.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gustl
at least at the same place smilie_flagge6.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 7 2012, 02:36 PM) *
at least at the same place smilie_flagge6.gif

Yepp ... smile.gif

- It's raining
- The trees have no leafs, so about the same time of year
- Train is parked in the same spot
- Top of train is full with all light colored cars
- Top of train cars all have hubcaps and no sidemarkers
- Bottom of train is full except the very last spot
- There's a dark colored car on the ramp driving into the last bottom spot
- The last car parked in the line ending by the second (-) sign is dark colored in both pictures

popcorn[1].gif
struckn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 7 2012, 12:33 PM) *

Looks like the two pictures below were taken at the same time but from two different vantage points ...

idea.gif

The cars on the ground have side reflector lights, where as the ones on the train do not. Didn't the cars sold in Europe come without the reflectors and the ones sent to the US have them?

idea.gif

Doug
SirAndy
QUOTE(struckn @ Sep 10 2012, 05:48 PM) *
Didn't the cars sold in Europe come without the reflectors and the ones sent to the US have them?

And your point is? They still had to ship the Euro cars from Osnabrück all over, well, Europe ...
shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(struckn @ Sep 10 2012, 06:48 PM) *

idea.gif

The cars on the ground have side reflector lights, where as the ones on the train do not. Didn't the cars sold in Europe come without the reflectors and the ones sent to the US have them?

idea.gif

Doug

In response to your original questiom.......
Euro 914s had no side markers (reflectors in your terms).
US 914s DID have side markers - all of them! Plain and simple as that. Hope that answers your question.
Pat
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 12 2012, 02:16 AM) *

Euro 914s had no side markers (reflectors in your terms).

in general correct, but cars delivered to Italy had side markers too
smg914

idea.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Is that a passenger side mirror on the closest white 914? Hmmm, factory installed!!!
Gustl
not that surprising confused24.gif

it was factory option M528 ...

smg914
Rarely seen on a factory deliverd US 914. I would love to see a window sticker showing passenger side view mirror. That would be cool!
Nürburg Nomad
This thread is absolutely amazing! Cannot wait to see what other images may pop up... biggrin.gif
larss
Track test probably in -69 and maybe not at the factory circuit. There seems to be a string or something hanging down under the car...?

/Lars S

IPB Image
1970 Neun vierzehn
Same photo "reversed"?
Michael N
QUOTE(larss @ Sep 12 2012, 11:44 PM) *

Track test probably in -69 and maybe not at the factory circuit. There seems to be a string or something hanging down under the car...?

/Lars S

IPB Image

That is the factory oil drip simulator biggrin.gif .
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 13 2012, 05:50 PM) *

Same photo "reversed"?

Yes. There's a old thread about that picture.

The large two page spread printed in DGVWPB has the image flipped but the large copy you posted above has been corrected. The smaller copy you posted is still flipped.

chowtime.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 16 2012, 11:17 PM) *

Not very many production line photos that I know of. Here's 1

IPB Image

Here's one from DGVWPB taken just seconds apart ...

SirAndy
This one will never rust:

SirAndy
And neither will this one:

SirAndy
Crashtest ...

SirAndy
Factory GTs in the making ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixerdon
So, the crash test vehicle was a six.........probably one of the prototypes?

Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 13 2012, 07:43 PM) *
So, the crash test vehicle was a six.........probably one of the prototypes?

Yes, there are conflicting records as to how many exactly were used for crash testing but quite a few of the first 20 prototypes from '68 ended up that way ...
sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.