Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red light blinking. Alternator? Belt? Battery? Ah, relief, it's only the brakes ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Sometimes (ok, maybe most of the time) my brain works in weird ways ...

This morning on my way to work, one of them red gauge lights starts blinking and i get all worried that i might have thrown a belt or the alternator fried or the battery is dead.
I make it to work and start digging around in the engine bay, all looks OK.

Then i realize it's the brake light that is blinking. Big relief. Who needs brakes, they're overrated anyways.

At least i'll make it home tonight.
biggrin.gif
bfrymire
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 17 2012, 11:59 AM) *

Sometimes (ok, maybe most of the time) my brain works in weird ways ...

This morning on my way to work, one of them red gauge lights starts blinking and i get all worried that i might have thrown a belt or the alternator fried or the battery is dead.
I make it to work and start digging around in the engine bay, all looks OK.

Then i realize it's the brake light that is blinking. Big relief. Who needs brakes, they're overrated anyways.

At least i'll make it home tonight.
biggrin.gif

emergency brake switch?

idea.gif

-- brett
smj
The car is complaining about carrying around those big Boxster clampers and the fancy e-brake? happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jul 17 2012, 12:10 PM) *
emergency brake switch?

Long gone, together with anything remotely resembling a parking brake. The wires are taped up and tucked away in the center tunnel.

My guess is it's probably the master cylinder ...
idea.gif
McMark
av-943.gif
SirAndy
Ok this is odd:

Checked the brake fluid reservoir and it looked OK.

Checked under the car and saw a small puddle of brake fluid which looks to come straight from the overflow drain hose! The MC looks dry.

The reset button on the MC was triggered, so i put it back and the light stayed off on the ride home and the brakes seemed to work just fine.

Now how in the hell can i get fluid out of the overflow to trigger the MC reset button???
blink.gif
Eric_Shea
Starting to lose stage 2 and the bi-pass was pushed back into the res. overflowing and causing a momentary pressure dip triggering the switch... confused24.gif idea.gif

(kinda sounds smart??)

Check the pedal area.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2012, 05:03 PM) *
Starting to lose stage 2 and the bi-pass was pushed back into the res. overflowing and causing a momentary pressure dip triggering the switch... confused24.gif idea.gif

(kinda sounds smart??)

Check the pedal area.

idea.gif
Dave_Darling
Taped-up wires came un-taped and shorted to ground?

--DD
SirAndy
Now that i have Eric in this thread, how about this:

I only bled the brakes once after installing the new Boxster calipers. Another bleeding is actually on my list to do.

Could it be that some remaining air bubbles collected over the last few weeks to form a larger bubble which eventually made it to the MC (thus triggering the reset button) and then went up into the reservoir causing some of the fluid to spill out the overflow?

idea.gif
last337
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 17 2012, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jul 17 2012, 12:10 PM) *
emergency brake switch?

Long gone, together with anything remotely resembling a parking brake. The wires are taped up and tucked away in the center tunnel.

My guess is it's probably the master cylinder ...
idea.gif

Why would you remove the parking brake? I am trying to fix mine to pass inspection in Louisiana but am not sure I even need it. I would like to fix it just for the sake of fixing but am dealing with what you see below. It appears this is a common problem. I was looking at Pelican for a replacement but I can tell which part to even purchase. I was considering welding the pin to the gear but I dont know if that will hold. Any suggestions?

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 18 2012, 12:18 PM) *

Now that i have Eric in this thread, how about this:

I only bled the brakes once after installing the new Boxster calipers. Another bleeding is actually on my list to do.

Could it be that some remaining air bubbles collected over the last few weeks to form a larger bubble which eventually made it to the MC (thus triggering the reset button) and then went up into the reservoir causing some of the fluid to spill out the overflow?

idea.gif

I think that is what Eric just said above...but with fancy words.

The burp out the overflow would worry me.
I might suggest you bleed them again with a power bleeder pushing the fluid through.

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday replacing the clutch slave on my sons bmw.
I could not get any pressure to bleed it.
(note to self, go buy a pressure bleeder)

I found that while I was filling the fluid I would see slow air bubble coming up.
I stayed with that until all the air bubbles stopped...but that took like 20 minutes.
I believe the master was empty.
Took a few seconds to bleed the slave after that.

So, maybe you have a master that is on its way out...letting air into the system?

Did you retain the rear brake bias valve...
If so, go stomp on the brakes a bit harder...then bleed them.
I have found its hard to get those air bubble though the valve, but once they finally get through, then bleed again, you get a nice pedal.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 27 2012, 09:19 AM) *
Why would you remove the parking brake?

This thread is about Boxster brakes. No way to attach the 914 handbrake to those.
shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2012, 09:31 AM) *
So, maybe you have a master that is on its way out...letting air into the system?
Did you retain the rear brake bias valve...

No more brake issues since i started this thread. Everything has worked fine since the "burp".
piratenanner.gif
r_towle
I always get worried when things fix themselves...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.