Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster Wiper Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Just bought a wiper motor off a 2003 Boxster to see how interchangeable they are with ours. Modern speed wipers is on my list of things to make the 914 wife-worthy.

Pictures and thoughts once the part arrives later this week.

*Looked a Boxster seat belts as well. idea.gif
SirAndy
cheer.gif
CG-914
good idea if its going to work! piratenanner.gif
I know the 996 motor for the sunroof fits in an 73 911 shades.gif

I just wonder at the steering wheel the wiper switch!!!

I defiantly would not want the boxster switch to replace a good looking 914 one!
aharder
The wiper motor is on my list of to-do's biggrin.gif
I've got plenty on time because the priority rating is sitting @ 99.

mrbubblehead
popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
Thinking about using the VW Passat one on mine. Steering column swap too, along with turn signal stuff...
McMark
I just bought the bare motor and I'm hoping it will connect to the 914 linkage and be a simple swap, yet still improve upon the stock motor.
scott_in_nh
a couple of good coats of Rain-X + some speed and who needs wipers? confused24.gif

A delay would be nice, but that is a whole lot of work for very little effect imo
SirAndy
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jul 19 2012, 01:04 PM) *
A delay would be nice, but that is a whole lot of work for very little effect imo

Just use the stock intermittent relay for the stock wipers ...
shades.gif
jimsfolly
I added a delay box from JCW for about $25, gives a 2-20 variable delay... can't live without an intermittent wiper in the Pacific Northwet.

Not sure just swapping the motor will do anything without a the switch to go with it... waiting to someone to step up and update to a modern control stalk set...both lights and wipers
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 17 2012, 09:32 PM) *

I just bought the bare motor and I'm hoping it will connect to the 914 linkage and be a simple swap, yet still improve upon the stock motor.

popcorn[1].gif To quote Col. Klink, "Vely interestink."
wingnut86
Mike,

What years of Passat? Or are you just going to fabricate anything that pops up during the swap?

tanks...
ruby914
QUOTE(jimsfolly @ Jul 19 2012, 01:15 PM) *

I added a delay box from JCW for about $25, gives a 2-20 variable delay... can't live without an intermittent wiper in the Pacific Northwet.

Not sure just swapping the motor will do anything without a the switch to go with it... waiting to someone to step up and update to a modern control stalk set...both lights and wipers

I was thinking the same. I used all the suby wiring I could. With the WRX intermittent switch to the 914 motor all is good.
IronHillRestorations
FWIW, there's a plug in VW intermittent wiper relay that's plug and play for the early Boxsters, the VW part number is 357 955 531 or 1HM 955 531B. It might take one of our electrical engineers to make it work, but I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard.
jimsfolly
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jul 19 2012, 07:00 PM) *

I was thinking the same. I used all the suby wiring I could. With the WRX intermittent switch to the 914 motor all is good.

did you use the wiper/light switch assembly as is? haven't messed with mine since I did the washer switch upgrade... is it much of a hack to get the assembly to replace the stock setup?

really want a modern stalk wiper/light switch setup since my new dash design doesn't support the factory panel mounted switches...
McMark
Tracking says it was delivered. I get to play on Sunday. boldblue.gif
effutuo101
Half way through a 2004 VW steering swap. It is a lot of work if you want to maintain the adjustability.
ruby914
QUOTE(jimsfolly @ Jul 20 2012, 09:47 AM) *

did you use the wiper/light switch assembly as is? haven't messed with mine since I did the washer switch upgrade... is it much of a hack to get the assembly to replace the stock setup?

really want a modern stalk wiper/light switch setup since my new dash design doesn't support the factory panel mounted switches...

I put in the complete steering column, gauge cluster, light and wiper controls from the WRX.
Yes, it is a lot of work.
I am not unhappy with the speed of mine but swapping motor you may get some more speed? That would not hurt.

jimsfolly
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jul 20 2012, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(jimsfolly @ Jul 20 2012, 09:47 AM) *

I put in the complete steering column, gauge cluster, light and wiper controls from the WRX.
Yes, it is a lot of work.
I am not unhappy with the speed of mine but swapping motor you may get some more speed? That would not hurt.

How did you adapt to the intermediate shaft? Does the Subaru use 36 spline 16mm? I've been looking at use an 'EZ Fit'variable length shaft to allow offsetting the column left to line up with my NSX seats.
ruby914
Please excuse us McMark.
jimsfolly, as I recall the shaft / spline was the same.
You can see more here.
http://z8.invisionfree.com/ClubNARP/index....=5431&st=40
ConeDodger
The 240Z guys use mid-90's Honda motors and IIRC, they are almost plug-and-play. Something about the electrical connections has to be adapted... They were the same era, maybe the same supplier?
McMark
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Differences:

- The wiper linkage arm on the Boxster is longer (the gold piece below, pic from boxster). This means the 914 pieces may move faster then the Boxster. But that's a good thing. I can slow down a motor, but I can't speed it up.
IPB Image

- The bolts and drive shaft on the 914 motor are longer to allow the motor to clear the bracket in two place.
Click to view attachment

First the 914 bracket will bump into the Boxster motor. This can be clearanced easily with a grinder.
Click to view attachment

The second is the linkage drive arm will bump into the rubber mount. There is a little bit the can be removed from the arm and a little bit that can be removed from the rubber mount. This should clear. Worse case scenario, I can cut and weld the drive arm to have it run higher up. I don't want to do this because that will also make some undesirable forces that could lead to unexpected failure later on in life.
Click to view attachment

- Wiring
The red wire is the fast speed and the green wire is the slow speed (motor body is ground). The three unwired connections are the motor park connections. They look like simple pass through connections (which is what I thought they were), but I took off the cover and discovered connections inside that correspond with the connections outside. The center pin (#2) is the common rail. The inside pin (#3) is disconnected at the park location, but connected the rest of the rotation. The outside pin (#1) is connected at park and disconnected the rest of the rotation.
Click to view attachment
McMark
Here's a couple shots with the cover off. I noticed an important piece of info I missed the first time. Connection #1 is also grounded to the motor body full time. The implication is that those 'park' connections shouldn't be run as 12v switched. The need to be a ground connection off of a relay. Which makes sense.

One note that may not be obvious because of the grease. The metallic portion set into the white plastic is one solid piece of metal.
Mike Bellis
Great photos! I can really see all the dirt and grime.

Great write up! Keep going.
McMark
Stock 914 wiper motor looks exactly the same on the inside. That means it'll get wired up just like original. This'll be pretty easy.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
If you can do the motor swap, and figure out how to incorporate that intermittent wiper relay, this could the ultimate 914 wiper upgrade. Great work Mark!!
McMark
Here's an image from Kansas_914's build showing the wiring.
IPB Image

To translate:

Boxster Motor ----> 914 wiring
red ----> black/purple
green ----> black/blue
1 ----> empty/no wire
2 ----> green/white
3 ----> red/black

IPB Image

This wiring isn't confirmed - just based on research. Use at your own risk. shades.gif
smj
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2012, 08:42 AM) *

- The bolts and drive shaft on the 914 motor are longer to allow the motor to clear the bracket in two place.

First the 914 bracket will bump into the Boxster motor. This can be clearanced easily with a grinder.

The second is the linkage drive arm will bump into the rubber mount. There is a little bit the can be removed from the arm and a little bit that can be removed from the rubber mount. This should clear. Worse case scenario, I can cut and weld the drive arm to have it run higher up. I don't want to do this because that will also make some undesirable forces that could lead to unexpected failure later on in life.

Probably a stupid question, but you've got to go with your strengths in life: Why can't you use spacers and longer bolts for mounting, and a widget to extend the drive shaft?
McMark
More work, no benefit. It would work. But in particular, the drive shaft widget would need a special cone shape on the top and the bottom to seat right. Lots of machining time to get that right. I would work, and it would be more elegant. But for a piece that hides up in a hole you'll never see, it'd be wasted effort. wink.gif
smj
Fair enough. And thanks for sharing! This looks pretty cool...
sixnotfour
How about a 911 motor 3spds
shuie
Intermittent wipers would be cool. Is it any lighter?
McMark
Much lighter. Funny, I almost weighed them. wink.gif Tomorrow.

Intermittent wipers is easy with a relay. It'll definitely be part of my installation.
76-914
Great info thumb3d.gif After your finished you should move this over to the classy's.
Cupomeat
For those looking for intermitancy on thier wipers, a parallel thread provides all the answers;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=190927

beerchug.gif
Joe Owensby
How did this turn out? Anyone else use another type of motor for the wipers?
ClayPerrine
FYI... a 964/993 wiper motor assembly is almost a bolt in on a 914. Gives you 3 speeds.

I did this already, and moved the motor to the left side under the defrost duct work.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If you use the 964 wiper motor as it is designed, the motor is on the left, and it will fit in the car if you alter the bottom mounting bracket. I flipped the wiper arm rack to make more clearance vertically for the AC, so I had to redo the mounting location for the motor.

It works great, I had it out in the rain last weekend.

There is one for sale on evilbay 964 Wiper assembly.

McMark
Well, 3.5 years after mocking this up, I actually did the install. My original assessment was right on. I notched the mount just slightly to make clearance for the motor body and removed the rubber mounting nut. I'll weld a new nut on the other side (that'll make it even harder to install). Now everything bolts up fine and the motor moves the assembly, just like it should.

I'm gonna go install it in a car now and see how it looks in real operation.

Note to self: take before and after videos. rolleyes.gif
McMark
Well, that was an easy install. No surprises at all. My wiring in post #27 (above) is correct. Boxster motor is a little faster, which is more noticeable on the fast speed. And that's good because the 'fast' speed on a stock setup always seemed a bit slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNOGzp9HrM

The bottom line, in my opinion, this isn't so much an upgrade. It's more just a replacement part that's in better condition than the old original parts. Also worth noting, the video/test uses two different wiper linkages. The linkage can introduce a lot of drag if there's corrosion or old gummy grease inside. The next step here is to overhaul the linkage for a complete wiper refresh.
76-914
Smooth as butter. Great job Mark.
porschetub
Thanks a lot Mark for taking the time to document this,Iam sure I have seen a similar motor on a VW Golf,would do the boxster motor one but parts are a bit thin on the ground in my country for these.
beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Oh boy... put it on the list. dry.gif
Chris H.
Awesome. Mine move about 90% slower than those. They need a full cleaning/refurb so might as well do this too. Thanks for the tutorial.
porschetub
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 1 2016, 03:02 AM) *

Awesome. Mine move about 90% slower than those. They need a full cleaning/refurb so might as well do this too. Thanks for the tutorial.

Exactly,mine works ok but are still rather slow,no getting over that and I cant be bothered making a slow wiper motor a little faster by cleaning it,can't believe my luck trawled our countries biggest auction site and scored a boxster wiper assembly for a very fair price...
Mark coming thru again with great info ,I real asset to this forum,top marks he he.
porschetub
I haven't picked mine up from the postal depot as yet,seller wouldn't separate the motor from the drive but only charged for motor and free shipping,got me thinking if I could use most or all of the drive,would certainly be better than 40yr old parts.
skaravelle
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 30 2016, 06:06 AM) *

Thanks a lot Mark for taking the time to document this,Iam sure I have seen a similar motor on a VW Golf,would do the boxster motor one but parts are a bit thin on the ground in my country for these.
beerchug.gif

Just did this swap on my -70, used a VW-"mostvehicles"-type motor, looks just the same as the Boxter-motor in this post. New motor, bought it online here in Norway for about 60$ biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.