Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Rail Pressure Gauge - How and Where to Get One?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Saw a fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight. $19
Most likely not the correct fittings for a 914 2.0L 1973

Not sure how to get the proper fitting to attach to the fuel rail.

Have to read up again on where to connect it?

Are there other pressure gauges out there that would do the job?

Anyone have any comments on where to get one and install and set to 28 to 30 lbs?
Getting ready to try to put fuel to the lines after 20 years....
saigon71
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Jul 18 2012, 09:32 PM) *

Saw a fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight. $19
Most likely not the correct fittings for a 914 2.0L 1973

Not sure how to get the proper fitting to attach to the fuel rail.

Have to read up again on where to connect it?

Are there other pressure gauges out there that would do the job?

Anyone have any comments on where to get one and install and set to 28 to 30 lbs?
Getting ready to try to put fuel to the lines after 20 years....

I bought the HF $19 model and used it to check/adjust my fuel pressure. I just used a flexible hose with a fuel injection hose clamp.
kbrunk1
Where did you connect it on the fuel system?
aharder
I bought mine from Jegs and just put it inlline on the fuel line hose.
SirAndy
The stock fuelrails (on one side usually) have an extra port in the center where you can attach a gauge ...
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
You can attach a hose to the fitting on the fuel rail, and then the gauge to the other end of the hose.

I actually did that with the hose that went to my cold-start valve; the CSV is pretty much useless for me anyway.

--DD
toadman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2012, 09:10 PM) *

You can attach a hose to the fitting on the fuel rail, and then the gauge to the other end of the hose.

I actually did that with the hose that went to my cold-start valve; the CSV is pretty much useless for me anyway.

--DD

I did what DD did except that I inserted an in-line, metal fitting made by Moroso into the fuel line to the CSV. The in-line fitting keeps the CSV operational. I screwed my VDO pressure gauge into the threaded tap in the Moroso fitting and I was good to go. The fitting barbs are a bit large and it takes some fiddling to get the barbs into the hose but it can be done.
type47
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:32 PM) *

... any comments on where to get one and install and set to 28 to 30 lbs?

I got a pressure gauge at Home Depot and did the connection like DD. One thing though, you don't set the fuel pressure "at" the gauge (is how I read your post, if this is not how you meant it, I apologize), you set the fuel pressure regulator to the pressure desired measured by the gauge.
saigon71
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 18 2012, 11:26 PM) *

The stock fuelrails (on one side usually) have an extra port in the center where you can attach a gauge ...
shades.gif

agree.gif

Mine was on the drivers side. I think I removed a just removed a bolt (plug) and hooked up.
worn
I found out the reason why the car I bought on ebay ran so poorly was that fuel pressure was stuck full on at about 90 psi. Running a little rich. So I bought a little VDO gauge from JEGs or Summit and also a fitting with two hose barbs - one on each end and a pipe thread to match the gauge in the middle. These are also available from Summit or JEGs in colorful anodized, or at the local hardware store in brass.

The regulator on my car had sat 19 years all alone and was stuck open, so I replaced it. Fuel pressure is rock steady, and I know because I can look at the gauge.

Safety and prudence indicates that fuel line junctions such as a line to an in dash gauge not be made in the cabin. You can obtain a diaphragm isolator to hook up to the fuel line and then run a secondary hose (maybe oil filled) to your dash gauge if you really want to know all the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.