Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Relay Goes Here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
I'm guessing that it's for an intermittent wiper relay because it ties into the wiper motor and the wiper stalk has 4 positions including off. One position currently does nothing. This is on a '74 914.

If it is for the intermittent relay, what is the part number? Wait, I might have found it. Is it 111 955 531?

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Thats the factory woper delay relay.
tomeric914
Thanks for confirming Jeff.

There are a number of options for intermittent relays, some more expensive than others. I found the 191 955 531 from RockAuto for roughly $5.

The 357 955 531 has the programmable delay.

From http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Wiper_Variable_intermittent

Various part numbers have been put forward as replacements. Obtaining new relays is possible but the majority can be found from the local breakers yard:

Beru: 0 900 301 082
Kostal: 377 955 531
Bosch: 0 986 335 058
VW: 3B0955531 ................. has 197 printed on the top, info from Audi/VW dealer - replaces VW: 357 955 531 (type 99 below)
www.gsfcarparts.com pt no 93610
OPEL 12 38 550
SAAB 85 53 463
VW 191 955 531 ................. believed to be the standard type 19 relay
VW 357 955 531 ................. the type 99 relay
VW 321 955 531 A ............... (sourced one from theairflowmetercompany on ebay and it didnt do anything different, had no VW logo, just part number and circuit diagram printed on it, possibly a duff clone)
LIEBHERR 1 001 443 3
JOHN DEERE AZ 49 989
HAKO 90-35730-2
KRAMER 100 010 51 46
HYMER 0416073
Hella 5WG 003 620-021
Use these part numbers at your own risk!
Some certainly aren't quite the correct relays, some are!!
siverson
> Thats the factory wiper delay relay.

What? Really? How am I on these boards for 20+ years and still learning new things about these cars. I've never heard of such a 914 option...

-Steve
SirAndy
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 20 2012, 09:46 AM) *

> Thats the factory wiper delay relay.

What? Really? How am I on these boards for 20+ years and still learning new things about these cars. I've never heard of such a 914 option...

Yepp, factory option from '74 onward ...
driving.gif
Dave_Darling
Factory electrical diagram calls it the "flick-wipe system", if I recall correctly.

--DD
walterolin
In somewhat the same vein as "flick wipe", the Haynes manual at page 149 lists an electrical component (part # 22) called the "Transistor revolution counter". Measures the rate of rotation of your transistors, I suspect.
Dr Evil
I am still learning stuff, too. Never knew about this one smile.gif
tomeric914
I went to the local pick-n-pull this morning in search of an early 90's Golf or Jetta to snag a wiper relay from. No luck with any of the VW or Audis there, BUT what did I come across but a '77 924! I opened the door and laying on the drivers side floor was a 111 955 531! Truly a needle in a haystack.

Got home, plugged in the relay and success! The wipers now return to the park position AND I have the "Flick-Wipe" intermittent system! Relay cost... $2.

piratenanner.gif
mrbubblehead
so what does the flick a wipe do exactly?
JeffBowlsby
I have these wiper delay harnesses available for $60./each if anyone is interested. I build them from 100% new parts using correct color coded wires to match the factory original.

I also have a couple used factory original harnesses available, and a couple of the special relays. See my harness website for details or contact me directly:

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
tomeric914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 01:24 PM) *

It's the intermittent wipe function. With the relay I have, it's a fixed interval.

If you upgrade to the 3B0 955 531 (replaces VW: 357 955 531), you get the adjustable delay.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jul 21 2012, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 01:24 PM) *

It's the intermittent wipe function. With the relay I have, it's a fixed interval.

If you upgrade to the 3B0 955 531 (replaces VW: 357 955 531), you get the adjustable delay.

how do you control the delay?
tomeric914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 04:45 PM) *

how do you control the delay?

The delay is controlled very mid 80's Germanesque.

1. Move the wipe lever to intermittent
2. Keep the lever in position for the desired interval
3. Move the wipe lever to the off position
4. Move the lever back to the intermittent position and leave it there. Wipers will now operate on the interval you have just defined.
mrbubblehead
hmmm??? my car is a 74 also, and i dont have a relay. mine appears to be wired directly to the switch. and i couldnt find a relay in the wireing diagram either. it would be easy enuff to wire one in though.
Dave_Darling
The diagram is an extra page that isn't included in Haynes or on Pelican.

--DD
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 21 2012, 05:27 PM) *

The diagram is an extra page that isn't included in Haynes or on Pelican.

--DD

can you post up the diagram dave? for those of us who dont have the relay?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 05:23 PM) *
i couldnt find a relay in the wireing diagram either.

I'm not surprised since it was optional equipment. Not just the relay, but the whole harness with the socket was optional.

popcorn[1].gif

PS: I have mounted the stock harness in my car, and if i recall correctly, the wire for the trigger is in the main harness but taped up somewhere near the drivers side air flap behind the brake fluid reservoir.
The other wires from the harness go in line with the wiper motor connections. It's pretty much plug & play to install.
tomeric914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 08:23 PM) *

it would be easy enuff to wire one in though.

Yes, just buy Bowlsby's relay harness http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1712722
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 05:34 PM) *

can you post up the diagram dave? for those of us who dont have the relay?

Sorry, I don't have it available in a format that can be posted.

(I'm not even sure exactly where it is at the moment!)

--DD
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2012, 06:10 PM) *

I'm not surprised since it was optional equipment. Not just the relay, but the whole harness with the socket was optional.

popcorn[1].gif

PS: I have mounted the stock harness in my car, and if i recall correctly, the wire for the trigger is in the main harness but taped up somewhere near the drivers side air flap behind the brake fluid reservoir.
The other wires from the harness go in line with the wiper motor connections. It's pretty much plug & play to install.

sir andy, is the "trigger" brown with a black stripe? labeled T1a on the wiring diagram? it comes from the wiper switch? it must be.....
Cupomeat
Hmm, this sounds like a nice little upgrade project, I think I'll make it happen for the 75!

Thanks Tom for bringing this to the forefront and our attention! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 21 2012, 09:59 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2012, 06:10 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

sir andy, is the "trigger" brown with a black stripe? labeled T1a on the wiring diagram? it comes from the wiper switch? it must be.....

Yes, that is the one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.