Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiper motor is slow, fresh air (defrost) fan is weak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
p914
Do I need to just replace these or are there tweeks?
markb
Wiper motors are always slow on these cars, in comparison to more modern cars. If it works, I'd say it's OK. It may need to have the shafts lubed, that tends to loosen it up some. Fresh air blower may need to have the contacts cleaned. Take out the ashtray, shine a light slightly to the right & down, and you will see the contact plate. Wipe it down, see if you can get a wire brush in there.
02loftsmoor
have you completed voltage and ground checks?? start with the simple first

QUOTE(p914 @ Jul 21 2012, 03:42 PM) *

Do I need to just replace these or are there tweeks?

jim_hoyland
My fresh air defrost was really weak. After sticking a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end into the window vent duct, a number of parking lots stubs were found. Fresh air flow improved 100%, but nothing like a modern car... smile.gif
p914
Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions. I haven't done a ground or voltage test.
Steve73
QUOTE(p914 @ Jul 22 2012, 09:11 AM) *

Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions. I haven't done a ground or voltage test.

I tore into my 73 and found the fan was all seized up and melted down. Leaves seem to love getting into the fresh air duct. My wiper arms were similarly frozen at the shafts and are going to be rebuilt. The motor seems to work fine free of the frame on a bench test. May be worth getting an aftermarket motor, may pull stronger. I did that recently for my 71 Beetle and rebuilt the frame and it works great now! Bring on the monsoon tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.