Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow vechicle???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d914
SEE signture block. Way to many vechicles.....!!!

Ok, I'm looking at getting rid of :
- 89 944
- 2002 lexus
- 90 3500

and buying a truck that my daughter would find socially acceptable and capable of pulling my flat bed and 914 track car. Normal distatances for going to the track is about 5hrs. Also would use this as a road trip vechicle for family. I'll use the the 74 2.0 for the small daily stuff. Will probably up grade to the Kit Carlson fi kit when available. I travel 3 days a week so I fly or I'm in rentals the majority of the time.

Looking at a new/used Avalanche or a new/used tundra. I have had a tundra, only down side would be back seat room, not the biggest..

Any opinions or suggestions.
GaroldShaffer
Ilove my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. Lots of room, pulls with no probelms. I have V6 in mine and have towed many a 914 with it. I would get the V8 next time just for a little more HP, but I am happy with the V6.
spare time toys
We are looking at dumping the Suburban for a Nissan Armada. It has more room inside than the Sub. and a nicer ride.
drew365
I notice when anyone discusses tow vehicles there is a lot of emphasis on engine power. When I bought mine I was more concerned with stability and stopping during an emergency. I've seen too many pickup/trailers jacknifed, usually when going downhill and the rear of the truck couldn't handle the trailer coming up on it. If you have an open trailer you might be okay with a smaller truck but you're going to feel a big change from your 1 ton you have now. If you have an enclosed trailer I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. Just my opinion.
d914
Trying to find the smallest sturdiest truck that my daughter will like!!??? Tuff one.
I like the dakota but the chrysler trannies have always scared me.
The Armada is just too big..
boxstr
Jeep fan for many, many years.
CCLINCAMPCAR
Joe Bob
Dude....geez, wish you weren'tso far away. I have a 2000 Dodge Quad cab....Vortech Blower with a 360/5.9 V8. Bought it for the remodel...wifey didn't want me using HER new Yukon.
AndrewBlyholder
We pull our 914 track car with an old Chevy v-8 pickup. One rainy event last year convinced me an enclosed tow vehicle would be best. We take a lot of tools, spare parts, etc. in the truck, and dealing with tarping that and keeping the water out of everything is a real pain. I'd go with a V-8 van of some sort. Several US manufacturers make utilty vans that are very cheap for what you get.

Andrew
Randal
One rainy event last year convinced me

I agree with Andrew.

I love my burb, as it is comfortable and large for all the stuff you have to haul around.

What I don't like about it is mileage (10mph) and power in the hills. Even with a 454 it bogs down on steep grades as it weighs in excess of 6000#.

Absolute best choice for a tow vehicle, in my opinion, is a turbo diesel pickup with a crew cab (space) and camper shell (cover). They get close to 20mph and go up hills just as fast as you dare.

If you don't want to buy a new one, I'll bet there are plenty of clean used ones running around.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 22 2004, 07:13 AM)
Jeep fan for many, many years.
CCLINCAMPCAR

agree.gif We have a 2000 Classic. That 4.0 rocks. Gobs of touque, tough as nails, cheap, cheap on parts. The only downside I have seen on ours was the front rotors warped until I upgraded them (factory thing). No worries, lots of room. Get one with the factory tow package on it. they come with the larger rear brakes. wink.gif
Rhodes71/914
Toyota Tundra IMHO, Have had several Toyotas and you can't beat the reliability. I have always thought the the Avalanche Looked cheesy with all that plastic stuff on the exterior. plus the Toyota has that great V8.
TimT
Absolute best choice for a tow vehicle, in my opinion, is a turbo diesel pickup with a crew cab (space) and camper shell (cover). They get close to 20mph and go up hills just as fast as you dare.

agree.gif Thats why I bought a F250 diesel crew cab, I get about 21mpg empty, and last time I towed my26 foot trailer I got 15mpg, and the truck pull up grades like im not towing anything.

It is however a TREMENDOUS vehicle, I have to plan where I want to park,
and it really weird going from my truck to the 914 when Im at the track

They do hit you for a premium with the diesel, the diesel option added almost $6000 to the cost of the truck,
mercdev
my chevy trailblazer has been a great buy. trendy enough to not embarass the kids and wife, but powerful enough to tow with as well.
Downunderman
Benz ML 270 - turbo diesel. Best tow car that you can still use around town.
URY914
I gotta a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton, quad cab, 318cid with the towing package. I have a light car and a aluminum open trailer and it tows fine.

Now that it is paid for I want to put it in semi-retairement and get a taildragger as a daily driver and save the truck for a backup. (hey a guy can dream, right)

If I was to ever get a enclosed trailer, I'd get a 3/4 ton diesel. My brother has one a that thing could pull a house off it's foundation.

Paul
morgan
Dogde 1 ton duelly cummings Remember to much is just right
JM alfred.gif
morph
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Oct 22 2004, 06:44 AM)
Ilove my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. Lots of room, pulls with no probelms. I have V6 in mine and have towed many a 914 with it. I would get the V8 next time just for a little more HP, but I am happy with the V6.

agree.gif i have a dodge dakota king cab.but when i get my miles out of this one.im getting a full size dodge.
what size v 6 ya git in that quad itsa?
i got the 3.9 the biggest v6 they made.after that i woulda had to get a v 8,truck weighs 5100lbs total towing weight(trailer load & truck )9000lbs.the rt version are nice wub.gif
my truck tows nice.
JB 914
I had a great big Suburban that got stolen right in front of my house. Great for towing, but, ugly ride. it was a 1994.

Got a new Armada and it rides great!! got the towing package, but, have not towed anything with it yet. So far, i'm pleased though. Alot of room and way more rear legroom than most big SUV.
andys
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 22 2004, 06:58 AM)
I notice when anyone discusses tow vehicles there is a lot of emphasis on engine power. When I bought mine I was more concerned with stability and stopping during an emergency. I've seen too many pickup/trailers jacknifed, usually when going downhill and the rear of the truck couldn't handle the trailer coming up on it. If you have an open trailer you might be okay with a smaller truck but you're going to feel a big change from your 1 ton you have now. If you have an enclosed trailer I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. Just my opinion.

IMO, this is the best advise I've read so far. Way too many people fall into the trap of buying too light a vehicle where the trailer overpowers it and disaster strikes. Short wheelbase and high CG (for tag-along's) are not at all well suited (an eggagerated example would be an earlier Chevy Blazer or Ford Bronco). My Dodge full size 3/4 ton van conversion suffers from barely adequate pulling power, but is incredibly stable (wide with long wheelbase, big brakes, etc) and tows like a dream (up to a point, of course). Match your vehicle to your towing requirements.

Andy
machina
I love my Yukon XL (suburban clone)

It's a 2001. When my lease was up I bought it, only 23000 miles on her.

If you get the 1500 with the 5.3, the rear suspension has coil springs instead of leaf so the ride is much better.

The longer wheelbase of the XL helps with towing and you get used to the size after a few days.

I think you could safely tow up to about a 20' enclosed trailer with this rig.
914forme
Cheby 2500HD Quad cab with 6.6L Turbo Diesel with Alison 6 speed auto- eco friendly I get 23 daily and towing a 914 or the boat I get 19. I also run Bio in it 90% of the time, for some reason I am allways craving Popcorn! Best of all once the warranty runs out - one call to Gale Banks, and I now have a fire breather 900+ HP and over 1000 fpt. Major $$$$$ Might not be able to tow anything any more, might just be spinning tires to the rims. biggrin.gif

But then I am bias towards diesels
1998 Jetta TDI commuter - now with 135 stock (yeah right) HP, still getting 43-50 mpg
TimT
I also run Bio in it 90% of the time

do you make your bio, or can you buy it in your area?
jd74914
Ford and Chevy all the way.

For my first teen the tow car was a 1958 Chevy Flatbed.

Next truck was a rodded '72 Chevy K-10 (four wheel drive C-10, it was great, but with the engine mods is only got 2mpg, estimated 400horses) beerchug.gif

I know tow with a Ford F-150 which is great. Its very reliable and is my daily driver. Next time though, I'm getting an F-250 as it has more power and a greater towing compacity. smile.gif
914forme
There is a place in N. Ky. that sells Bio that I get to quite offten, at least once a week so I try with normal driving to stop and pickup the fuel, plus a few extra gallons for the tractor etc..... Have not found one closer to home yet. Hoping I will soon.
Trekkor
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 22 2004, 09:41 AM)

Oh yes!

Mine. wink.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.