Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any downside to putting a 2.0L in a '72 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve73
Click to view attachment

Hi everyone. I currently have a 1972 1.7L that is in pretty great shape except for the exterior paint and the seized engine.

I did the remove spark plugs, jack up one side and turn the wheel in 5th with no luck. An expert mechanic relative of mine with 914 experience had me also take out the starter and try to move the flywheel while out of gear with a BFS (or pry bar), it didn't budge which to his thinking means that it's pretty well seized.

I have a 2.0L from my old 73 working well before I stripped and junked it (floor boards ++ other things were all rusted out).

Is there anything I should look out for before putting this engine in this car. Should I also put in the 2.0L's transmission as well? I saved the shift mechanicals from the 73 with the exception of the tube that was part of the frame. I don't know if ether transmission is any good but I'll assume the 72's has been better treated.

I'm gonna put in a new clutch, rear main seal and powder coat the tins in gloss black. Should I paint the engine, if so in what and will it last?

I realized this will no longer be a numbers matching car but I don't feel so bad about that, but what do you all think?

While the 2.0L engine is out should I check the cam to see what it is? (the engine runs on carburetors)

This is the first time I've shown or talked about this car since I purchased it. It's got a fiberglass 916 kit on it and has a little damage in the trunk from a rear ending years ago. Part (headlights, door bolts have bright yellow/green paint on them as if they were recovered off another car. The paint ID shows that the car was black from the factory.

Thanks In advance for all your advice.

Stephen
TheCabinetmaker
Engine swap is pretty straight forward. you'll need to use the 72 front mounts and bar. To use the 73 trans, you'll have to change the firewall bushing, the shift rod, motor mount bar, and I don't know what else. I would just change engine and go.
GeorgeRud
If you kept all the shift linkage parts, definitely go for the entire engine and transmission swap. Both are nice improvements over the early cars.

You will have to swap put the engine mount as well, but it's a worthwhile swap.

Good luck on your project.

Chris H.
agree.gif I'm partial to the engine/tranny swap as well. Side shifter is a great upgrade. Bottom line is use that 2.0 either way.

BTW your wheels are awesome. Haven't seen a set of those in a while. American Racing maybe?
Steve73
Thank you the wheels are Carol Shelby actually. Maybe designed for the mini originally? Pretty low slung now. It's got a swagger I don't often see in 914's. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road again before I start on the body work (paint not damage)

Do I need to redo the shaft that the shift rod lays in? Also can I reuse the shift lever it's self or do I need to use the 73 one. I was being stupid with the newer shifter and one of the springs on it got away from me a little bit an will be a bear to put back into place

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 23 2012, 07:51 AM) *

agree.gif I'm partial to the engine/tranny swap as well. Side shifter is a great upgrade. Bottom line is use that 2.0 either way.

BTW your wheels are awesome. Haven't seen a set of those in a while. American Racing maybe?

rhodyguy
if you saved every item of the side shift linkage (shifter, front shift rod, rear shift rod, rear shift rod coupler, late inboard mount brackets on the front of the engine and bolts, late outboard engine mounts, and late engine mount bar) you're golden. you will need a 73-74 style dr side warm air guide for the rear shift rod. start new with one of the super bushing kits that include the firewall conversion bushing and a set of the inboard rubber mounts that connect the engine bar to the brackets.

k
lotus_65
i consider originality to be over-rated.

swap and drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.