Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inherited father's 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Hello everyone.. I'm new here so I wanted to just introduce myself. I just inherited my father's 71 914. He's the original owner; drove the car off the lot after purchasing it shortly after returning from Vietnam. It's been garaged kept for as long as I can remember and has a little over 100k. My question is, what should I look for when inspecting the vehicle? I know to check the battery tray and everything below it. What other spots are prone to rust?

On a separate note, I'm curious if any volkswagen engine will bolt into a 914. I'd love to build a new engine for it, and give it a little more oomph then the 1.7, I'm just not sure what would fit.

Thanks for any information you're able to provide..

Steve
Lennies914
welcome.png

Spend some time researching here on the site. There is truly a wealth of info here.
Is it a driver now?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Welcome. use this google search engine to find what you need to know.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...2%3Aajvfxschcgc
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

The 914 can be fit with almost any engine. Depends on your budget. Most engine swappers avoid VW engines. Most swappers want a Porsche engine. I have had several engines in mine and I'm doing a VW 1.8t swap from a Passat right now.

Do what ever you want. Just promise to drive it!
seanery
welcome.png Great story! Since it's a family item - I'd keep it all 914, maybe a -6 conversion, but for more power with a type 4 just build up a nice big 4 cylinder.
smj
welcome.png

I'd suggest you get it in good running order for now if it isn't, addressing any rust issues you find. Then take the time to read up on the many, many different drivetrain options available.

If you haven't driven it, you may find it quite enjoyable as is; if you have, you can better decide what your particular goal is once you're more familiar with the different options and approaches. The "build threads" on this site are greatly informative as well as very entertaining. You won't regret taking the time to read through them.

Rather than looking for particular rust spots, get familiar with the whole car. Get eyes on everything you can see from above and beside the car, wriggling around as needed. Make sure you don't see anything indicating it's unsafe to jack it up so you can get a look from underneath. (Please use multiple, reliable jackstands if you're going under the car.) Knock on things to make sure the metal sounds "sound," and keep an eye out for any wrinkles or blisters under the paint. Depending on your tolerence poke any suspect areas with a screwdriver or point.

You might want to contact your father's mechanic assuming he used one, or pay a shop familiar with the 914 for an inspection - money well spent to either find trouble, or gain confidence that the car's in good order. If the car has been left sitting for a while, you might want to have them change the fluids, filters etc at the same time and they might make the price more attractive.
aharder
welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png
markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction. There is no cure.

Enjoy the ride.
swl
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 22 2012, 08:40 PM) *

welcome.png

I'd suggest you get it in good running order for now if it isn't, addressing any rust issues you find. Then take the time to read up on the many, many different drivetrain options available.

If you haven't driven it, you may find it quite enjoyable as is; if you have, you can better decide what your particular goal is once you're more familiar with the different options and approaches. The "build threads" on this site are greatly informative as well as very entertaining. You won't regret taking the time to read through them.

Rather than looking for particular rust spots, get familiar with the whole car. Get eyes on everything you can see from above and beside the car, wriggling around as needed. Make sure you don't see anything indicating it's unsafe to jack it up so you can get a look from underneath. (Please use multiple, reliable jackstands if you're going under the car.) Knock on things to make sure the metal sounds "sound," and keep an eye out for any wrinkles or blisters under the paint. Depending on your tolerence poke any suspect areas with a screwdriver or point.

You might want to contact your father's mechanic assuming he used one, or pay a shop familiar with the 914 for an inspection - money well spent to either find trouble, or gain confidence that the car's in good order. If the car has been left sitting for a while, you might want to have them change the fluids, filters etc at the same time and they might make the price more attractive.

agree.gif
Make sure the frame is solid, get it running and reliable, then contemplate more omph.

Is the car currently in use or has it been sitting for a while? Has it lived in the North East most of its life?

There are a number of areas that you could check for rust. It sounds brutal but an ice pick/awl is a useful tool for that exploration. These cars can rust from the inside out, expecially in the longs. The ice pick will go through where the metal is super thin but not yet completely perforated so the rust would show.

Places to look (but don't just look here - like smj said - go over the entire car):

Peel up the carpet on the drivers side threshold. Only need an inch or two. Poke around close to the floor particluarly where there is the indent for the handbrake.

Have a look at the rear hoist points. There are two levels of steel there - the donut and the long in behind. Crap that holds moisture can accumulate there and start the rusting process.

Take off the side skirts and poke around the longs. It is almost a given that the jack points will be badly rusted. Not really a concern but if it has spread to the steel behind then you have some work to do.

The floors are covered in thick tar. If the floor is rusting you won't see it unless you are really agressive. There are drain holes under the floor mat. Have a good look around them - that's where it will start. It can also get going under the front right of the passenger foot well but that is hard to inspect.

If you pass those areas without significant concern you are probably not going to find anything serious elsewhere.

Keep your dad's legacy going!
Cohibra45
Just a thought..........

Pick up a trailer and run it down to Scotty's in Richmond. It shouldn't take more than 3 or so hours and he could do a cursory look see everywhere, mechanical as well as body.

Like I said, just a thought.
jcambo7
Man...no one has said this again yet...
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
sjhenry1075
Thanks for everyone's input. The car has lived on the east coast it's whole life, though it hasn't been driven on a regular basis since the early 80's. My father purchased the car before getting married, but once he started a family the Porsche went into the garage. The last time I spoke with him he said that the car turned over but would not start. He also said he was in the process of rebuilding the calipers for the brakes. The last time I saw the car (about 3 years ago) there was very little rust, though I didn't jack it up or poke around under the carpet. I currently live in Maryland and he lives in Pennsylvania. I'm getting married in Sept; afterwhich I will be buying a house with a garage! Once this is done I will pick it up and transport it to it's new home.

I plan on keeping it as stock as possible, and possibly swapping in a larger engine that I'd build myself. I was a mechanic in the Marines and have quite a bit of experience building engines. Anyways, the next time I'm in PA I will take some pics and post them. I am well aware of the addiction, I've had it since I first laid eyes on his 914!
porbmw
Have fun with it, get to know it, drive it....and then see where you go with it.
These are great little cars once they get all sorted out...but patience is the main ingredient on that task.
Keep us posted smile.gif
championgt1
welcome.png
somd914
welcome.png Great, another Maryland 914 owner! Once you get the car, I'm about an hour away, would be glad to take a look at her. I'm no expert compared to many fellow World members, but I've gotten to know my '73 well, especially with a 2056 engine upgrade and tranny rebuild in one of Doc Evil's tranny clinics.

billh1963
QUOTE(Cohibra45 @ Jul 23 2012, 11:08 AM) *

Just a thought..........

Pick up a trailer and run it down to Scotty's in Richmond. It shouldn't take more than 3 or so hours and he could do a cursory look see everywhere, mechanical as well as body.

Like I said, just a thought.

For sure! Scotty even finds rust in those "rust free" California cars! His "truth detector" will check it out... lol-2.gif
benalishhero
welcome.png
kerensky
Woo, another 'all in the family' 914! Mine was my mother's daily - I remember riding on the center "seat" all the way from Oklahoma City to Dallas with my legs off to the side to clear the gearshift. These are special little cars, and even more so when they're a part of the family. :thumbup:

Welcome aboard!
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Connect with others in your area. Get it running. Make sure it's safe. Save up money for building it up your way....
crash914
There are several of us not too far away, I am in woodstock, ellicott city, Rick Leonard is in elkridge, Matt is in Frederick....
sjhenry1075
Just an update.. My wife and I purchased our home in 2014 and yes, it has a garage. When we were looking we told the agent we wouldn't consider any houses unless it had a garage. About a year after buying our house I took delivery of the car. As everyone has suggested I really dug into it looking for rust. I took off the side rails, and there is some rust around the jack points but it looks like it did not affect the steel behind them. the floor boards are completely clean both inside and out. No rust behind the seats, or really anywhere inside the cockpit of the car. The rear trunk is the only place on the car where I can see a hole. There is no rust around the donuts that I can see. The battery tray is rusted but still about 3/4 intact.

The odometer says 56088 and my father swears it has never turned. Along with the car came extra parts to include rebuilt brake calipers, new wheels, steel braided brake lines, and new side rails. I purchased a kit to replace all of the fuel lines with SS. For those who live in MD, please feel free to contact me. I'd definitely be interested in having a more experienced set of eyes look her over..

sjhenry1075
More pics
sjhenry1075
One more
BeatNavy
So you're in Bowie now, not Odenton? There are several experienced 914 folks in the Annapolis area. I also head out that direction occasionally to get to the Eastern shore (usually on Fridays) and could probably stop by or make time at some point.
EdwardBlume
What a beauty!

Looks like there is some rust you are going to have to chase down. Have you pulled off the rockers? Also go down under where the battery is, look in the wheel well and inside the sail panel. How does the front trunk look around the headlights? In the weatherstripping channel?

If you have a 56K original car, especially in that color with original paint... you really have something, but you need to close out the rust.

Keep the 1.7. Has it fired up this decade? If not, clean it up too, and we can help you perform all of the safety steps before you try and start it...

Have fun! These are great cars, especially when they are special..... smile.gif
76-914
Nice car. That rusted area in the trunk is one of the easier rust repairs. Enjoy! beerchug.gif
Jason74914
Not that my vote matters....but keep it stock!
r_towle
welcome.png
Larmo63
Adriatic Blue wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

One of the best colors on a 914, you SCORED!

welcome.png
Mark Henry
My late brothers name was Steve Henry, smile.gif

welcome.png
gandalf_025
There are more than a few members here that have cars with a long family history.

You are now among that group and will find a very welcoming bunch here..
Lots of information as well... Prepare to read a lot....
Cairo94507
welcome.png Adriatic Blue is a terrific color. Good luck with your project.
ssuperflyoldguy
Wow, NICE!!! - nice & clean too - I wouldn't change anything on it - we all dream of unmolested cars - and you have one & with familial provenance. Leave the FI, the only thing I'd do is nice period wheels & tires (mine has the 5 lug conversion/GT flares but if I had 4 lugs, I'd do Mahle's - which I have a set of...) If you do rebuild the engine, I'd build up as much as the factory fuel injection can handle, maybe front caliper upgrade. Keep those steelie's on a shelf.
crash914
be sure to join PCA Chesapeake region. lots of events and autocross at bwi. let us know if we can help...
somd914
I'm about an hour away in St Mary's County and would lend you hand giving her an inspection. Drop me a PM if interested.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 9 2016, 08:38 AM) *

So you're in Bowie now, not Odenton? There are several experienced 914 folks in the Annapolis area. I also head out that direction occasionally to get to the Eastern shore (usually on Fridays) and could probably stop by or make time at some point.

Yes, my wife and I purchased a house in the "K" section in 2014. Let me know when you're planning to make a trip to the shore..
sjhenry1075
I put the car up on jack stands and crawled under it to get a better look. From what I saw there isn't rust in the wheel wells or around the suspension. I've looked into the area around the headlights and there is a little bit of rust, but nothing too bad from what I could tell. One thing though, I hooked up the battery to see what worked and the headlights didn't raise. Until I fix that issue there's no way to really tell how much rust is around the lights. As it gets warmer I'll start spending more time with it. There's nothing worse than having to lay on the freezing cold concrete while working on a car. One funny note, the last time I sat in the car was when I was a junior in high school. I've grown considerably since then (I'm 6' 7) so driving it should be interesting! I won't be able to wear shoes thats for sure!
xperu
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jul 22 2012, 03:00 PM) *

Hello everyone.. I'm new here so I wanted to just introduce myself. I just inherited my father's 71 914. He's the original owner; drove the car off the lot after purchasing it shortly after returning from Vietnam. It's been garaged kept for as long as I can remember and has a little over 100k. My question is, what should I look for when inspecting the vehicle? I know to check the battery tray and everything below it. What other spots are prone to rust?

On a separate note, I'm curious if any volkswagen engine will bolt into a 914. I'd love to build a new engine for it, and give it a little more oomph then the 1.7, I'm just not sure what would fit.

Thanks for any information you're able to provide..

Steve

Steve, what a wonderful post, a father giving his son his car. Also that he was a Vietnam vet which is the era I come from.
I hope you have the best success with your car; personally I would keep the 914 as stock as possible. I believe in the end you will be pleased you did so. However, many of us here have made our cars the way we like them to be to fit our likes. Mike
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
I too inherited my Dad's 914 & used to live in the Potomac area. The LE & I now reside in New Market, VA. Lots to check out & replace on the car even if it's been garaged to get it rolling again. Being an LE I really had no choice but to keep her as original as possible. I'd try to do the same for yours & once you familiarize yourself w/ the car consider getting a second that you can "hot rod".

smile.gif
sjhenry1075
Another note, I'm a member of the Pelican Parts forum that I also visit regularly and saw Dave's "big butt" test. I've sat in the car with the top off and closed the door while sitting in the car with no problem with the windows up and down. I've done this in both the driver and passenger seat. I guess that's some good news.. haha..
puffinator
Definitely join PCA Chesapeake region. There are quite a few 914 owners in the region including the past president to PCA, Manny Alban. I live in Edgewater and I am the region’s tech committee co-chair and have a 914. We hold a bunch of events – almost something every week. Check out the calendar at http://pcachs.org/.
Our next tech session in at ASM Performance near Arundel Mills on March 26th where John Behe will demo how they go about dyno tuning cars on their dynamometer.
sjhenry1075
I did join the PCA Chesapeake region and was planning on attending an event, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet though its certainly something I plan on doing in the future. I actually used to work at the Greene Turtle in Edgewater in 03-06 as a bouncer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.