Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent wipers are intermittent even in the off position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
So now that I have the wiper relay, the intermittent wipers are intermittent even in the off position! Not sure what is causing that. Any ideas?

Also, when I pull the wiper stalk, I hear a relay click but only when the wipers are in the intermittent position. I thought it had to do with activating the wipers while in the wash mode but I would think I'd hear a click when it was in the off mode as well. idea.gif

Edit: I should have done a search first regarding the ground wire. Does anyone have a photo of where this ground wire is?
tomeric914
Does anyone have pictures of the steering column without the switches in it as well as the wiper and turn signal switches by themselves? I'm thinking I may need to run a separate ground directly to the ground screw.

I took the steering wheel off last night and found that the DAPO had clipped the black/brown wire and wired it to a separate relay. I thought that was the problem, but after repairing the wire, the wipers are still intermittent in the off position. With that wire grounded, the wipers stay off. That's how the switch is setup as I understand it.

All screws are tight, but the wipers wipe in the off position.

jim_hoyland
Try replacing the intermittant wiperrelay with a known relay that works right. I had one situation where I got ghost wipes when the wipers were off; I replaced the relay and ghost wiping went away. In another situation, the a brand new relay failed to operate properly even though the part number was the same... smile.gif If there was a bench test for the intermittant wiper relay, the elimination process would be a lot easier. dry.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 30 2012, 11:33 AM) *

Try replacing the intermittent wiper relay with a known relay that works right.

I don't think that's the problem. When the brown/black wire is grounded, the wipers shut off. It could be the wiper switch.
Bartlett 914
I have seen where the wiper switch isn't grounded properly. There is a connection through one of the screws that hold the switch in place. I believe it is the top right one. It must me tight
76-914
check the brn/wht wire connection at the relay(in the front trunk) IIRC that's the switched ground.
tomeric914
Alright, I guess I have to take my own pictures. With the switch out, I checked the action of the switch and found the following corresponding pairs of wires on the wiper stalk mechanism:

High - black/white and black/yellow

Low - black/white and black

Off - green and black

Intermittent - green and black

Pull for flick wipe - black/white and brown

Black/white must be the 12 volt power to the switch

Not sure if anyone has a wiper switch laying around that the could check Off and Intermittent positions, but something doesn't seem right.

BTW, I saw no definitive ground on any of the 4 screw posts. For giggles I checked for ground at each screw and each checked out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tomeric914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 30 2012, 08:40 PM) *

check the brn/wht wire connection at the relay(in the front trunk) IIRC that's the switched ground.

It's brown/black. With the switch pulled back I get 12 volts. Forward I get nothing. I believe it should be ground when the switch is in it's normal forward position.
partwerks
All my ghost wipe was attributed to was one of the 4 screws was loose is all.

I was thinking it was the bottom left one.......
tomeric914
Found more info, pictures, and video including wiring diagrams for an electric washer conversion. Not that was what I was looking for, but it gives me a couple of ideas:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=86544

The above link was found through here which has additional wiring diagrams:

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/forum/inde...showtopic=12291

Still more:

http://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/04/2...er-switch-hack/
Valy
This is what I have on my car.
I like it since it has a programmable interval wiper delay with no additional switches or buttons added in the system. It also runs my electric water pump.

It's a win-win-win smile.gif
Click to view attachment
tomeric914
I needed pictures of a good known switch for what you'll see below. Gahhhhh!

Click to view attachment

Notice something missing in the pictures below?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cupomeat
Its like flying in clouds, You can't see the ground...

Damn, I suppose you could fabricate it.
markb
I wish you would have said something a couple of days ago, I just cleaned out a box of old broken ones & tossed them all..... dry.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 31 2012, 09:23 PM) *

Damn, I suppose you could fabricate it.

Thought about it.

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 31 2012, 09:27 PM) *

I wish you would have said something a couple of days ago, I just cleaned out a box of old broken ones & tossed them all..... dry.gif

Me too! Isn't that always the way it happens?

I know I've seen this part somewhere in the garage but was unsuccessful at finding the needle in a haystack. If anyone in the Syracuse area has a broken wiper switch that they could part with that tab, please let me know! Same switch in '74 and later Bug, Thing, Porsche 924, etc.
r_towle
I don't see a problem, they are either intermittently on or intermittently off.

Sounds like that is what it's all about...if you think like Hans and franz
mrbubblehead
how funny, i just did this mod. valy posted up the wiring diagram, i found the same one and it helped tremendously. you beat me to it valy.

i used a 5 wire wiper switch, and used a micro switch to operate the pump. the pump came out of a late model jetta.

here is a source i found for an NOS 6 wire switch if anyone is interested.
http://www.thingsforthething.com/catalog/i...63e6d4fdb244c55

and a reproduction
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-519-G
Eric_Shea
When I was working on my switch applications, I felt something hit my shoe in the shop... Luckily I bent down and picked that piece up and somehow managed to get it back in the right spot. biggrin.gif
tomeric914
I know the piece dropped out on me as well, but that was at least 3 years ago and I have no idea where I put it.

So today I went back to the pick-n-pull and grabbed the wiper switch out of the 924. The bad part is that 924 switch is a 6 wire vs the 914 5 wire BUT I swapped the plastic conduits and put a terminal on wire #6 (red/black stripe)which is 12 volt out for an electric washer pump!

The other bonus is that the ground can't fall out of the 924 switch.

The other interesting thing I found was that there was a stop in the 924 switch that didn't allow it to go to the intermittent position, yet I got the intermittent relay out of the same car. Did Porsche make intermittent wipers an option, ship the relay to control the park function of the wipers on all cars and then charge for the removal of the stop?

Click to view attachment
mrbubblehead
i got my 5 wire switch out of a 75 914. and the little grounding chingus couldnt fall out either. the brass piece was molded into the plastic.
Eric_Shea
You did exactly what I did with the 924 switch. Those 924 bits were just too big to fit through the column slot so, I pulled the ones off the 914 switch and it was seamless.

E.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.