Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
I have a flywheel off of the 2.0 that I am rebuilding and it has been machined down approx. 3.2mm from what I measure on other flywheels I have off of 1.8 engines.

The step down to the clutch surface was machined the same amount but I was curious if there are any concerns with using a flywheel that has been machined this much?

One issue I did experience when I was dismantling the engine is you can't get a socket around the bolts that hold the clutch on, so i was considerinf using a cap (allen) bolt.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
There should be a significant step down here. It looks completely gone. If so, that flywheel is long past dead. You would have a hard time getting the clutch to release because the throwout arm will hit the transmission case before the clutch fully disengages. They flywheels are all the same (aside from balance) so use one of the other flywheels you have.
jmargush
Thanks

I appreciate the response.

Jeff
mrbubblehead
if you decide to use it, remember to put a shim under the ball that the clutch arm pivots on. i put my trans in and forgot to add a washer. had to pull the trans back out.
arty914
Thanks for the info. All very useful.
somd914
I just fought the same battle. A resurfaced flywheel I had measured 8.5 mm on the step down from tooth ring to pressure plate surface, old was 7mm. New has recessed bolt heads when attaching the pressure plate, the old did not. When installed the fork travelled approx 1.5" or so before contact and the clutch would not disengage with the fork hitting the tranny case. The resurfaced flywheel is headed to the scrap pile...
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jul 23 2012, 03:02 AM) *

I just fought the same battle. A resurfaced flywheel I had measured 8.5 mm on the step down from tooth ring to pressure plate surface, old was 7mm. New has recessed bolt heads when attaching the pressure plate, the old did not. When installed the fork travelled approx 1.5" or so before contact and the clutch would not disengage with the fork hitting the tranny case. The resurfaced flywheel is headed to the scrap pile...

i'll take it.... if i pay for shipping????
somd914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 23 2012, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jul 23 2012, 03:02 AM) *

i'll take it.... if i pay for shipping????

PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.