Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a Mig Welder! Where is a good place to buy some metal to practice on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Steve
Bought a Mig Welder!! Where is a good place to buy some sheet metal to practice on in Orange County, CA? I went to home depot and they only had 22 gauge and 16 gauge. I am looking for 18 and 20 gauge. Something similar to our cars.
welder.gif
rohar
Go to your nearest recycler. Grab what you want and pay by the pound. Cut it apart, weld it together, cut it apart again, weld it together, repeat as neccessary smile.gif
Steve
Thanks!! I will check out the recyclers. I also just realized I created this thread in the classifieds.
ww914
Well, maybe you'll make some fine fender art and sell it here.
pilothyer
Get some scrap....start practicing alot...for the best, flattest (less grinding weld on thin sheet metal) go for higher voltage and moderate wire feed, but move faster. Also get you some "easy grind wire".
Dinobx
Hey guys, Thanks for the info on this thread. I'm a beginner as well with a new machine and will follow your advice.
Thanks again.
Dino
74 916 RS targa

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Jul 23 2012, 10:56 PM) *

Get some scrap....start practicing alot...for the best, flattest (less grinding weld on thin sheet metal) go for higher voltage and moderate wire feed, but move faster. Also get you some "easy grind wire".

Jgilliam914
If a recycler isnt as handy try and find a steel stud supplier. you can find from 25 ga usually down to 12 gauge material . It will be clean and mostly rust free although some wlll be galvanized you can get tons of great practice on this type of material.
if you lived closer I would just give you more than you could ever need. You will find them in the yellow pages under drywall supply... Good luck
JmuRiz
Do they have a scrap pile at your dump? Maybe some old bed frames someone is tossing out...
shuie
When you order your new panels just ask to include some flat sheet stock for patch pieces, practice, etc.. It will match the stuff you are going to be putting on the car
IronHillRestorations
Yea, just don't practice on the car (and then post pics of your wads of bubble gum welds).

Go to your local welding shop and a body shop too, you can get some scraps there.

Practice until your tired of welding and then practice some more. Make sure you dial in your welder each time your going to touch it to the car.
racingivan
strip yard is the best place beer3.gif
timothy_nd28
Is this welder set up for argon gas, or is it the flux core wire? If your using the gas model, proceed on practicing your welding techniques.
If this is a cheap flux core machine, consider dumping it or returning it. Migwelding with flux core always turn out with crappy results. Using the gas version, you'll have beautiful furniture style welds with practice.
Bob L.
I don't weld yet but I always see old Direct TV/Dish network dishes being tossed. Anybody know if they would make good sheet metal donor material? They should at least be good to practice welding on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.