Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a Mig Welder! Where is a good place to buy some metal to practice on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Bought a Mig Welder!! Where is a good place to buy some sheet metal to practice on in Orange County, CA? I went to home depot and they only had 22 gauge and 16 gauge. I am looking for 18 and 20 gauge. Something similar to our cars.
welder.gif
Elliot Cannon
Don't buy it from Home Depot. Find a steel supply place somewhere.
Elliot Cannon
Try here. http://orangecounty.citysearch.com/profile..._supply_co.html
phatnine11
look up a company by the name of Patton's Metal supply. They have several locations, find the one that is near you.
Cesar
billh1963
Are you telling us that you don't have a couple of parts cars to practice on? biggrin.gif

Sacrilege!
walterolin
I just went through this process, did some arc welding years ago but hadn't used gas before.

Don't buy the small gas cylinder, you'll use it fairly quickly and the unit cost for your gas is higher. Gas welds are cleaner than flux core, but flux can be used, at least on the underneath stuff that doesn't have to look pretty. If you use flux, don't buy the el cheapo wire - pay for the Lincoln.

Buy your steel at a supply house. They will probably have a scrap bin, and a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge will run around $70.00. 20 gauge is a lot easier to bend but of course you can blow holes easier.
Steve
Thanks everyone for the help!! I bought a Millermatic 140 and a 55 CFM bottle. My hatchback is too small for a bigger bottle. I live in So. Cal. 10 minutes from the beach in a zero property line home with no room for a parts car. For you people back east that means my neighbors house is one of my back yard walls. I could almost hand my neighbor a toilet paper roll through the bathroom window.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 22 2012, 09:34 PM) *

This is where I get my stuff, kind of like candy store inside. Guys at the air gas in Santa Ana are really cool for the beginner, and might have some suggestions.

Good luck!
Smitty911
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 23 2012, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 22 2012, 09:34 PM) *

This is where I get my stuff, kind of like candy store inside. Guys at the air gas in Santa Ana are really cool for the beginner, and might have some suggestions.

Good luck!

Shorr Metal and Benner Metal in Placentia/Fullerton. Lots of choices and good pricing.

They also have short cuts from other peoples purchases for sale at about scrap price.

Smitty
Brian_Boss
If you go to real steel supplier, ask to look through their "drops" pile. These are the leftover bits from when they cut pieces to custom sizes. They are typically sold by the pound and significantly cheaper.
r_towle
lookup a local machine shop and ask them for scraps.
I find its easier than getting the the steel supply shops before 5pm.

Also, look for dryers, washers, and old computer tower cases...all of those are cheap and easy to find.

We make it a practice to include one old computer case in each car somewhere..just to upgrade the technology.

cases are typically 18 gauge, so its plenty thick to practice on.

Rich
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 23 2012, 06:43 AM) *

Thanks everyone for the help!! I bought a Millermatic 140 and a 55 CFM bottle. My hatchback is too small for a bigger bottle. I live in So. Cal. 10 minutes from the beach in a zero property line home with no room for a parts car. For you people back east that means my neighbors house is one of my back yard walls. I could almost hand my neighbor a toilet paper roll through the bathroom window.

Ah yes. Life in Southern Orange County. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.