Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got dinged this weekend, need some parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GulleyGulley
My car was parked & was backed into. Not much damage, just cosmetic. The front bumper top is cracked and the metal panel in front of the headlight cover got chipped pretty good. I'll need a new bumper top & some touch up paint. I see the bumper tops are in the works, so I'll be in for a new one. What do I do about the paint. Paint on the car is just about perfect (no scratches, dings, etc). Can I get touch up paint (signal orange) or do I need to go to a body shop for the touch up. Chip/scratch is about the size of a quarter.
rhodyguy
a local auto body supply should be able to match the paint and load it in a rattle can if you give them the paint code. by "metal panel" do you mean the eyebrow, the narrow piece with a curve?
TheCabinetmaker
I've often wondered why its called an eyebrow? An eyebrow is above the eye.
GulleyGulley
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 23 2012, 10:05 AM) *

Yes, I guess it would be the eyebrow. Just the corner above the bumper top. Not too bad, but it will drive me nuts because the rest of the paint is beautiful.
r_towle
Do you need a new piece, or can you get the one you have fixed?

these solid colors are not super hard to match for a good shop.

If you find a paint shop that sells to the autobody companies, they have a special digital camera that you can have them use to mix the paint.

you can then buy a little disposable aerosol can with a glass jar so you can mix up the two part paint, put it in the jar and spray it yourself.

Depending upon how may layers you spray, and how hard you buff it, you can change orange to several different shades...so you can control the shading by hand to get it perfect.

At least that is what I have found with mine.

rich
JimN73
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 23 2012, 06:56 AM) *

a local auto body supply should be able to match the paint and load it in a rattle can if you give them the paint code. by "metal panel" do you mean the eyebrow, the narrow piece with a curve?

All of the paint manufacturers use the same codes, but you'll find that each one has a slightly different formula and the colors will be off, may or may not be noticeable.

A good supply shop will be able to scan your color into their mixing system and match what you have. You'll have to provide a sample unless they can come to the car and scan from the car.
ape914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 23 2012, 07:05 AM) *

stand the car on its rearend, and then you will see that the eye brows are above the lights (eyes)
Dave_Darling
The eyebrow should just be held on by three rubber plugs. You should be able to simply pull it out. Take it to the painter, and it should be enough for them to be able to match.

--DD
ape914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2012, 03:56 PM) *

The eyebrow should just be held on by three rubber plugs. You should be able to simply pull it out. Take it to the painter, and it should be enough for them to be able to match.

--DD

i have seen eyebrows held with nuts and bolts, not correct, but if they cat be removed easy, someone might have bolted them on. Not a good idea, they are supposed to be flexible to allow for snow/ ice /debries build-up to not jam up the head lamp movement.
The flexable eyebrow allowed Porsche to design the surrounding headlamp door gap to be nice and narrow when closed, while maintaining the debries clearing ability of a larger, unsightly door gap.

It also makes the headlamp movement less likely a finger breaker to have a flexible eyebrow. But dont try it.
mrholland2
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 23 2012, 06:56 AM) *

I have PO receipts for rattle can paint in my color from O'Reilly parts. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.