Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could this head be salvaged?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Looks pretty far gone to me; however, I am by no means an expert. This is the '73 2.0 head off the car I picked up this weekend. Engine dropped a valve...

IPB Image

IPB Image

SLITS
Just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. They're aluminum and can be built back up and machined back.
billh1963
Well, I guess it was more a question of would it be worth it? Sounds like the answer is NO ...
ottox914
No kidding, dropped a valve... Can be fixed, depending on who you get and how much you want to "drop" on the repairs. I'd shop around for bids on the repair, as well as the reputation of the builder. You don't want someone who will take your money and make LOOK right, you need someone who can make it WORK right. A good inspection of the head may show other problems that in total, would make a different head to re-build a better option for you.

Len Hoffman at H.A.M. is well known around here. Perhaps he'll chime in, although he stays plenty busy with the shop and is not always online.
r_towle
Its cheaper to start witha head that has not dropped a valve.
Krieger
That would not be worth fixing
billh1963
I figured as much...just checking! sad.gif
HAM Inc
I have repaired damage that was on par with that before. Years ago I pulled away from that sort of salvage work for heads that are not rare and/or valuable.
JCS or GEX would probably buy it for more than scrap value.
Valy
Those kind of heads usually get rebuild with bigger valves. It makes sense since most of the work needs to be done anyway to accommodate the bigger valves.
If you think of dumping them, I'll gladly take them for my planned big 4 engine. Just PM me.
billh1963
QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 23 2012, 07:26 PM) *

Those kind of heads usually get rebuild with bigger valves. It makes sense since most of the work needs to be done anyway to accommodate the bigger valves.
If you think of dumping them, I'll gladly take them for my planned big 4 engine. Just PM me.

Not sure of my plans but you'll be first up if I get rid of them!
worn
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 23 2012, 10:43 AM) *

Looks pretty far gone to me; however, I am by no means an expert. This is the '73 2.0 head off the car I picked up this weekend. Engine dropped a valve...

IPB Image

IPB Image

I guess my only thought is that it is from a 2.0 and therefore a bit special. Yeah, now you can get one for maybe less than the rebuild. As far as I know they aren't making them anymore, and these are the true Porsche parts of the 914-4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.