Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cylinder install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Good afternoon/evening everyone,

I’m struggling with the install on my new 19mm master cylinder. I'm under the impression that it is easier to install the lines from the reservoir before bolting it up. But because of the shape of the lines I can’t just pull it down hook up the reservoir lines then push it back up in to position. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

David
ape914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 23 2012, 06:23 PM) *

I’m struggling with the install on my new 19mm master cylinder. I'm under the impression that it is easier to install the lines from the reservoir before bolting it up. But because of the shape of the lines I can’t just pull it down hook up the reservoir lines then push it back up in to position. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

It is a pain to do, you got sypmathy here brother!

one thing I find that helps is a bit of brake cylinder grease. A dab of that on the rubber plug and it will pop in easier. Be sure you use brake grease, any other grease will likely destroy the rubber seals in the brakes, even in trace amounts.
mepstein
It's a bitch and one of the reasons I bought an ATE master is because I didn't want to do it again for a long time.

I unbolted the brake fluid reservoir, pulled down the lines,dripped a little lube on the rubber grommets, popped in the lines with a screw driver and then bolted everything back together. Then the old rubber lines that connect to the brake caliper hard lines started to leak. headbang.gif

Sfrenck told me he pulled the gas tank and then dropped the lines and assembled the master to the lines on a table. Maybe next time I'll do it that way.

ruby914
QUOTE(ape914 @ Jul 23 2012, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 23 2012, 06:23 PM) *

Thanks

David

It is a pain to do, you got sypmathy here brother!

agree.gif

One thing that has helped me is a large bent needle nose
TheCabinetmaker
It had been a couple of years since I last did this till two weeks ago. You can disconnect the lines from the resevoir and pull them down just a few inches with out losing them under the gas tank. That is enough to connect them to the master. Its really not that hard to connect them to the master after its bolted in place if you do them before reinstalling the hard lines and banjo fitting

Edit: I did use a pair of bent needle nose to push them in place.
wingnut86
David,

Both methods above are correct. PMB may have a youtube video on this, or possibly one in the archives here or on ThePelican.

I prefer the tank removal method, as that is how I discovered my very 1st tank pinhole leak mad.gif

RacerChris or someone else recommends or sells a brace that is mounted to the suspension cross member to strengthen the MC when reinstalled.

FYI - The steel cross-member would need to be welded for this. I'm thinking the aluminum cross-member would need a bracket created for the bracket blink.gif
Harpo
Thanks everyone for your help. The tank is already out so that is not a problem. I will go get some long bent needle nose plyers.

David
GeorgeRud
Otherwise, an open ended wrench bent just past the opening can be used to pull the lines into the master cylinder. It is a bit frustrating, but can be done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.