Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pretty decent deal on an engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/3114130442.html

Not sure if any of my Florida bretheren have seen this yet. Seems a little too good to be true. $1,000 for a 2.0 with carbs and tin complete? I really obviously need to figure my own car out first, but this might be worth looking at. What do you think? Seems like a decent place to start rather than hunting down heads, a crank and the rest of the necessary parts to build a good motor.

Should I try to find out if he knows what the compression numbers are or any other engine history?

-George
r_towle
a core to me is 200-500 bucks.
carbs are 300-500 bucks.

So, if it is an un opened motor that you intend to just use for parts....its a matter of cost.

What do AMC heads cost built as 2.0 liter heads ( new valves and plug moved)
What is the cost of a new crankshaft? 400 bucks?

Rich
billh1963
There were no 4 cylinder 2.0 engines in 1972. You better get better pictures (spark plugs and engine s/n) to verify what they are selling!
ThePaintedMan
I'm actually looking at more of a decent, running motor for the time being, with the possibility of rebuilding later on. The more I work on my engine in the car currently, the more I'm convinced it is in need of at least a top end rebuild. I'm going to try one more compression test tonight to verify.

I also understand that this is a crap shoot with any motor sitting around for any period of time. I just thought this sounded like a decent deal for a 2.0. I thought even cores would be much higher. So you're saying this is actually a bit over priced? I thought I could sell the carbs and make most of the money back if the engine ran fairly well.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 24 2012, 03:00 PM) *

There were no 4 cylinder 2.0 engines in 1972. You better get better pictures (spark plugs and engine s/n) to verify what they are selling!

Good point. Duh. S/N, 3-stud intake... anything else?
JRust
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 24 2012, 12:01 PM) *

I also understand that this is a crap shoot with any motor sitting around for any period of time. I just thought this sounded like a decent deal for a 2.0. I thought even cores would be much higher. So you're saying this is actually a bit over priced? I thought I could sell the carbs and make most of the money back if the engine ran fairly well.

Dual carbs would sell in the $3-450 range complete with Manifolds & Linkage. It is a bit of a crapshoot for any used motor that hasn't been run in a while. It is worth looking at I think
mepstein
Cores are almost worthless until you need them for a build. I've given away 2 engines and have access to 2 more that I don't want. Carbs 200-300. 1K sounds reasonable for a 2.0 running engine that isn't anything special.

*** but I bet if you showed up with 800 cash, he would take it. biggrin.gif
wingnut86
It could have bus heads as well if they are saying it was a 72'. Still, it would have needed block work to accept those properly if they started with a 1.7L.

SLITS
Call Jimmy and have him hook an oil pressure gauge up to it and fire it up on the ground ... that'll tell you something.
bcheney
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 24 2012, 06:09 PM) *

Call Jimmy and have him hook an oil pressure gauge up to it and fire it up on the ground ... that'll tell you something.

Could be a decent deal if you don't need the carbs. Just need some better pics of the top of the motor to determine if they are 2.0 liter heads. If the spark plugs enter the tin on about a 45 degree angle you know that you have 2.0 heads. If the plugs enter the heads on top of tin near the center you have 1.7. I dont remember the orientation for the 1.8 motor...I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct description.
carr914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 24 2012, 03:00 PM) *

agree.gif
ThePaintedMan
Spoke to "Jimmy" today, and as I suspected, he knew very little about the motor, other than it runs and was pulled out of a 914. I explained to him that there were no 2.0s made in 72 and I think he thought I was calling him a liar. I was able to settle him down and explained that it could very well be a built-up 1.7 out to 2.0, but we would need more pictures to determine that. I said that if he could provide more pictures he might have a better chance at selling it, either to me or another buyer. This seemed to put him in a better mood and he said he would e-mail me some. We'll see what transpires.
billh1963
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 25 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Spoke to "Jimmy" today, and as I suspected, he knew very little about the motor, other than it runs and was pulled out of a 914. I explained to him that there were no 2.0s made in 72 and I think he thought I was calling him a liar.

If I run into another 914 "expert" my brain will explode. The more I look at cars and parts that are listed for sale the more the ignorance of these owners amaze me. The worst are the mechanics who think that because they turn a wrench they are a walking encyclopedia on every car made.
Katmanken
Yup,

And I think we have had a few of those around here recently. rolleyes.gif
bcheney

Here is a table that lists all of the years, chassis numbers, engine numbers etc. I also confirmed that the spark plug orientation for the 1.7 and 1.8 is the same...both come out of the top of the engine tin and the 2.0 comes out of the side just above the intakes. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.